2023-2024 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i sent a letter of intent the week before decisions were sent out (maybe not the best choice looking back) and i was WL, i really feel like i should be sending SOMETHING to let them know how badly i wanna get off the WL but is there anything else i could really do??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i sent a letter of intent the week before decisions were sent out (maybe not the best choice looking back) and i was WL, i really feel like i should be sending SOMETHING to let them know how badly i wanna get off the WL but is there anything else i could really do??
Hold the dean’s daughter for ransom

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they start actually reviewing waitlisted applicants (maybe current students if there are any in here)? I know decisions come out early May, but curious if they start reviewing sooner.

Does anyone know when they start actually reviewing waitlisted applicants (maybe current students if there are any in here)? I know decisions come out early May, but curious if they start reviewing sooner.
From what I understand, they only start reviewing WL applicants when spots become available

Withdrew A, best of luck to everyone on the WL :)

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 16 users
I submitted one update earlier and got two emails of confirmation, one automatic and one a little later saying they got it and added it to my file. I submitted another one a little while back and only got the automatic one and not the second one. Should I call/email asking if they got it? Or is this normal

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s normal but if you want to cover your assets email them

Does anyone know what the official process is for submitting interest letters? I assume we email them since there is no real portal to submit. Thank you!

Does anyone know what the official process is for submitting interest letters? I assume we email them since there is no real portal to submit. Thank you!
I just emailed one to the regular admissions email and they responded with this:

Please send any future updates to [email protected], attaching your update as a Word or PDF file with the file name in the following format: lastname_firstname_AAMCID_ date. You will receive a confirmation email. Please do not include other queries or information in the email; questions should be directed to our main email address.

Just withdrew my A - good luck to all the WL peeps!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
thank you!!! if you are willing to share, where did you decide on and why not wcmc?
Yeah, sure! I chose stanford because it was closer to my fam (at least over wcmc). There are other small reasons (e.g., didn't like the weekly testing schedule, etc.), but location was the largest factor for me

wcmc is a great school though!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
One of my other schools extended their PTE deadline to end of May bc of the FAFSA fiasco, and another sent an email stating that they were willing to be flexible on the deadline since they know a lot of schools are still rolling out aid packages.

Curious to hear from accepted students whether Cornell has issued any similar statements or extensions since that would likely affect WL movement. As a waitlister I am realllly hoping they are still operating according to schedule haha 🤞🏻

One of my other schools extended their PTE deadline to end of May bc of the FAFSA fiasco, and another sent an email stating that they were willing to be flexible on the deadline since they know a lot of schools are still rolling out aid packages.

Curious to hear from accepted students whether Cornell has issued any similar statements or extensions since that would likely affect WL movement. As a waitlister I am realllly hoping they are still operating according to schedule haha 🤞🏻
Hope not big bro

Reactions: 1 users

No word about any extensions, PTE is still 4/30. Although I imagine they’re giving extensions on an individual basis to accepted students who are still missing FA packages from their schools but no idea

hopefully we hear back soon!! Anyone who has sent in updates to the email know if they email you back to confirm receipt?

hopefully we hear back soon!! Anyone who has sent in updates to the email know if they email you back to confirm receipt?
I got an automated one each time but one time they sent me like a message saying that they got it and added it to my file

Hey all, I’m an accepted applicant. I wanted to pitch my help to you guys. If you need anyone to look over your LOIs, I’m here. If you need anyone to talk to about Cornell, my experience at second look, and/or NYC, I’m here. I can also connect you with current students. I will most likely be committing to WCM, so I’d love to help my prospective classmates!!! <3

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey all, I’m an accepted applicant. I wanted to pitch my help to you guys. If you need anyone to look over your LOIs, I’m here. If you need anyone to talk to about Cornell, my experience at second look, and/or NYC, I’m here. I can also connect you with current students. I will most likely be committing to WCM, so I’d love to help my prospective classmates!!! QUOTE]

thank you! can you share if you know any information about if Cornell is still offering positions off the waitlist, and historically how many students are excepted from the waitlist? Additionally, can you share what you think significant updates would be?

Hey, thanks for your questions! I asked the student reps and other current students your waitlist questions. While researching Cornell, I never asked about the waitlist. I’ll update you when I get a response. To be honest, it doesn’t seem like anyone new has been added to our accepted student Slack channel, so I don’t think they started offering a large number of waitlist acceptances yet.

As for the letter of update, here are some significant things you may include….
  1. New job positions
  2. New research publications (or starting new research projects)
  3. Any relevant personal updates (e.g, a medical school I applied to has a super active weightlifting team, so I talked about achieving my 225 squat PR LOL I also explicitly wrote about how I hope to contribute to the school’s team)
As per many current medical students, what matters more is how you relate your activities to the school and its mission. No matter what you include, make sure to show how the school would naturally be the next best step for you. Here’s an excerpt from my Cornell update letter if it gives you any insight:

“Nonclinical Updates:
  1. Funds for Global Health: Advocacy Fellowship (FFGH) Jan 2024-Present
    1. As an aspiring physician for the underserved, I aim to eventually work in a federal government role to shape policies that promote healthcare accessibility. Thus, I joined FFGH to gain experience with working at the intersection of clinical care, advocacy, and policy. My current focus is on the siloed delivery of the President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to combat the HIV/AIDS epidemic in developing countries. To make PEPFAR more accessible to underserved patients around the world, I have proposed merging PEPFAR with global primary care programs, consolidating HIV/AIDS care with comprehensive primary care in frontline clinics. Having both services be delivered at one integrated clinic aims to mitigate geographic and financial barriers that patients may face when seeking care from multiple outpatient centers. My petition to my Senate representative can be seen here: Update Letter: Laser Talk: Integrating PEPFAR. At Cornell, I would continue my work in advocacy and equity by volunteering with Students for a National Health Program, serving at WCCHR, and attending Rogers Health Policy Colloquiums. Moreover, my global health work aligns with your emphasis on internationalism, which is one reason I know I’d fit right in at your school.”
Notice how I made sure to write about how “I’d fit right in.” Hope that helps!!

• Love
Hey, thanks for your questions! I asked the student reps and other current students your waitlist questions. While researching Cornell, I never asked about the waitlist. I’ll update you when I get a response. To be honest, it doesn’t seem like anyone new has been added to our accepted student Slack channel, so I don’t think they started offering a large number of waitlist acceptances yet.

As for the letter of update, here are some significant things you may include….
  1. New job positions
  2. New research publications (or starting new research projects)
  3. Any relevant personal updates (e.g, a medical school I applied to has a super active weightlifting team, so I talked about achieving my 225 squat PR LOL I also explicitly wrote about how I hope to contribute to the school’s team)
As per many current medical students, what matters more is how you relate your activities to the school and its mission. No matter what you include, make sure to show how the school would naturally be the next best step for you. Here’s an excerpt from my Cornell update letter if it gives you any insight:

“Nonclinical Updates:
  1. Funds for Global Health: Advocacy Fellowship (FFGH) Jan 2024-Present
    1. As an aspiring physician for the underserved, I aim to eventually work in a federal government role to shape policies that promote healthcare accessibility. Thus, I joined FFGH to gain experience with working at the intersection of clinical care, advocacy, and policy. My current focus is on the siloed delivery of the President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to combat the HIV/AIDS epidemic in developing countries. To make PEPFAR more accessible to underserved patients around the world, I have proposed merging PEPFAR with global primary care programs, consolidating HIV/AIDS care with comprehensive primary care in frontline clinics. Having both services be delivered at one integrated clinic aims to mitigate geographic and financial barriers that patients may face when seeking care from multiple outpatient centers. My petition to my Senate representative can be seen here: Update Letter: Laser Talk: Integrating PEPFAR. At Cornell, I would continue my work in advocacy and equity by volunteering with Students for a National Health Program, serving at WCCHR, and attending Rogers Health Policy Colloquiums. Moreover, my global health work aligns with your emphasis on internationalism, which is one reason I know I’d fit right in at your school.”
Notice how I made sure to write about how “I’d fit right in.” Hope that helps!!

queen this is so so impressive i’m in awe. you’re going to be such a great physician

• Care
queen this is so so impressive i’m in awe. you’re going to be such a great physician
THANK YOU 🥹 You too ♥️♥️

Okay, so a student got back to me regarding the waitlist. No one knows the exact numbers of waitlist acceptance offers because it all depends on the number of students who don’t commit by July 1st. Since Cornell historically has around a 45% accepted student yield, a large number of students come from the waitlist.

Here’s some more information on the waitlist: They don’t rank their waitlist applicants, so they reevaluate all applicants once positions open up. Also, acceptances are not sent all at once. If someone posts their A here and you didn’t get an A yet, don’t fret too much. You might get the A later. I’m rooting for you all!! Please DM me if you get in. I’d love to catch you up or give you a tour of NYC if you’re down.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just got in off the WL! Email at 9AM CST

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Stats in signature, and no I did not send an update

May 17, and this is in a reply form we need to submit, so I think everyone who gets the A before then has to submit by then. Next big wave is prob after the 17