2023-2024 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any downside to calling admissions to see when I can expect potential WL movement and what kind of movement this school may see? No one has heard back from this school as far as I know.
they might say we can't say anything about it yet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Much of the reason for slow response times has to do with requirements for the LCME (accreditation).
The layers of inefficiency required to stay out of trouble are mind-numbing.
I can assure you that schools are just as motivated to conclude this process as anyone (cold comfort, I know...)!
Do your best to hang in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Can they just give me a hint😩 Like a little wink or thumbs up would really help me out

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
not to be impatient but what gives… it’s been almost a week since people should have PTE

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
not to be impatient but what gives… it’s been almost a week since people should have PTE
Your impatience is understandable!
Right now, schools are 1. hoping that they will deplete the excess so that they can offer waitlist seats or 2. meeting to assess the composition of the class and coming to consensus on who (from the waitlist) will fill that role.
There is no single person in charge of these decisions, so meetings need to occur, quorums need to be met and even if a spot is offered, time must be given to that person to make their decision.

Because of the FAFSA delay, some students are holding multiple acceptances (with permission).

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Getting super stressed! I have an A which I'm grateful for but my top choice school I'm still on the WL for. Eventually I've gotta start looking at where to move. I know there's nothing I can do, sent another LOI but I'm hoping I hear something.

Reactions: 8 users
Getting super stressed! I have an A which I'm grateful for but my top choice school I'm still on the WL for. Eventually I've gotta start looking at where to move. I know there's nothing I can do, sent another LOI but I'm hoping I hear something.
Same here! It's so stressful and it's already May! 😭

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if a school seeing that a waitlisted applicant has PTE’d already will impact if they send an acceptance
I've been wondering that too... I think a lot of it depends on whether you've sent a letter of intent to the WL school. I would think a LOI mitigates any disadvantage that PTE brings.

I've been wondering that too... I think a lot of it depends on whether you've sent a letter of intent to the WL school. I would think a LOI mitigates any disadvantage that PTE brings.
I think PTE is advantageous. Think about it this way people want what they can’t have. Having PTE means you have options already and thus have been vetted by other med schools.

Can someone explain the FAFSA delay? Why is it delayed and for how long

@gyngyn why do you think schools that have not pushed off the PTE deadline are taking so long? Because my top choice WL school has not pushed it off as far as I can tell, and today marks 3 days longer than any other year that this school has started pulling off the WL that I’ve checked.

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn why do you think schools that have not pushed off the PTE deadline are taking so long? Because my top choice WL school has not pushed it off as far as I can tell, and today marks 3 days longer than any other year that this school has started pulling off the WL that I’ve checked.
We are all interdependent.
It is possible that other schools have been slow to offer to students who remain on waitlists.

We are all interdependent.
It is possible that other schools have been slow to offer to students who remain on waitlists.
Thanks! When do you think is most likely movement starts picking up? Obviously every school is different but…

Before CYMS, waitlist season was much more active and lasted longer.
Now, students are forced to make decisions earlier. This removes more "moving parts" from the process earlier.
Schools can thus be more precise regarding the number of offers made.
This results in less activity in general.

As always, some schools will "over-accept." This eliminates them from waitlist movement completely.

Before CYMS, waitlist season was much more active and lasted longer.
Now, students are forced to make decisions earlier. This removes more "moving parts" from the process earlier.
Schools can then be more precise regarding the number of offers made.
This results in less activity in general.

As always, some schools will "over-accept." This eliminates them from waitlist movement completely.
Alright, thanks!!!

honestly feeling really discouraged that there has been little to no waitlist movement. guess i’m starting a new app tonight… still hopeful that i’ll get off one of the lists tho!

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
how crazy is this process making you guys? I literally went to a tarot card reading psychic asking if id get in and I check the accepted student's facebook group member count daily so I have already lost my mind completely (ps psychic said yes but dw I'm still writing my re-app lol)

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 25 users
how crazy is this process making you guys? I literally went to a tarot card reading psychic asking if id get in and I check the accepted student's facebook group member count daily so I have already lost my mind completely (ps psychic said yes but dw I'm still writing my re-app lol)
hahah legit same they said I would get in as well!

• Haha
  • Love
Not me also seeking comfort in horoscopes

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Get on my level. A little while back I went through every single person’s post history who reported an A or WL on my MD WL thread to see if they had reported As at other places to get a better gauge of my chances and how many people may drop their A. Supreme boredom and neuroticism.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24 users
Get on my level. A little while back I went through every single person’s post history who reported an A or WL on my MD WL thread to see if they had reported As at other places to get a better gauge of my chances and how many people may drop their A. Supreme boredom and neuroticism.
How much Stormlight did it take to get past the people who have their post history turned off

• Haha
How much Stormlight did it take to get past the people who have their post history turned off
Oh I knew from the second I saw that name that you were a fellow Cosmerenaut. It’s actually really easy, just go into the search option, search by member, enter the name in question and boom.

• Haha
Oh I knew from the second I saw that name that you were a fellow Cosmerenaut. It’s actually really easy, just go into the search option, search by member, enter the name in question and boom.
Haha I wish I didn't know that now it's going to make me way more neurotic lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I straight up was doing oracle readings and a manifestation/meditation when I got off the waitlist. I was trying anything and everything to get the universe to listen.

i’ve dedicated the last 2 weeks to seeing how many different ways i can eat chili crisp

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
5 IIs -> 5 WLs - > 1 A off UTMB(IS) today, accepted! There is still hope, I was 4 months into MCAT prep!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 33 users
5 IIs -> 5 WLs - > 1 A off UTMB(IS) today, accepted! There is still hope, I was 4 months into MCAT prep!
Love this for you!!! Congrats future doctor. I hope you have a bonfire planned for those MCAT books ;)

Sad vibes as I’m currently 0/3

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I’m on 6 WL and only 2 have had movement as far as I know and much less then in previous years it’s so nutty
Also debated seeing a psychic when I passed by one the other day but I was talked out of it :(

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
another day of begging the universe to get off the utmb waitlist. one of the only tmdsas schools w movement so far, so it’s sooo painful

Anyone hear anything about TCOM? I've seen their waitlist moved a lot in the past, but haven't seen anything this year yet.

Someone said this may potentially be why there is delayed WL so far:

“Because every school is interconnected. Your school may not have pushed back their PTE deadline, but let’s say there’s a more desirable program in your state that has pushed theirs back. Since applicants haven’t dropped that acceptance, people at the program you want can’t drop their acceptance to go to that school. Therefore, your stuck until the majority of schools enforce PTE deadlines, which is looking like the second half of May”

Opinions?

“Because every school is interconnected. Your school may not have pushed back their PTE deadline, but let’s say there’s a more desirable program in your state that has pushed theirs back. Since applicants haven’t dropped that acceptance, people at the program you want can’t drop their acceptance to go to that school. Therefore, your stuck until the majority of schools enforce PTE deadlines, which is looking like the second half of May”

Opinions?
Thank you! This is actually helpful! Can't wait to see more movement happen. I am in agony lol.

• Care
another day of begging the universe to get off the utmb waitlist. one of the only tmdsas schools w movement so far, so it’s sooo painful

literally same I’m so burnt out studying for the mcat and doing apps all over again this process simply sucks

• Care

Opinions?
Im not even really worried that there won’t be movement (I’m only WLd at DO schools), I know there will be but I don’t wanna wait till mid to end of June for major movement. I would love vacation this summer before I become a slave to medicine lol but I can’t bc I may have to get up and move across the country with a weeks notice