2023-2024 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does getting an interview invite during the early wave (Aug-Oct) mean anything?
At our interview session the other week, admissions said that if you interview between Aug-Oct, you'll be in the first decision wave in early December (either accepted or deferred decision to the 2nd wave in Feb/March). They emphasized that they do separate waves so ppl who interview later aren't at any disadvantage vs earlier interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
For those who have interviewed already. Please how long before your interview date did you know your interviewers?

At our interview session the other week, admissions said that if you interview between Aug-Oct, you'll be in the first decision wave in early December (either accepted or deferred decision to the 2nd wave in Feb/March). They emphasized that they do separate waves so ppl who interview later aren't at any disadvantage vs earlier interviews.
Ooops sorry I meant I was wondering if getting an early invite = they think you'd be a better fit with the school than if you were to interview later on?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed already. Please how long before your interview date did you know your interviewers?
They send you the names of your interviewers the morning of, and they said there's no expectation for the interviewee to look them up before

Reactions: 1 users
Ooops sorry I meant I was wondering if getting an early invite = they think you'd be a better fit with the school than if you were to interview later on?
It may or may not, I don't think any school has officially confirmed that. Even if they do, II procedures and timing probably vary between each and every school. At least from what admissions officially told us, they seem to take steps to minimize the effect of interview timing on an app's competitiveness. Although fwiw as an N=1, Feinberg is a pretty strong mission fit for a few reasons in addition to my stats/activities and I got an II 1-2 weeks after I was complete in August.

Reactions: 1 user
Speculatively, I’d imagine yes. Each school has their own way of reviewing apps, but earlier II probably means they liked you enough to invite you immediately or quickly rather than sitting on your app for a long time or designating it to be re-reviewed. Who know how much this may or may not come into play at various schools, but it’s definitely not definitive. There’s plenty of people with early interviews who don’t get in and plenty with late interviews who do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who’s interviewed, how was your experience and do you know whether the interview is open or closed file?
Great and 2 open faculty and 1 closed student

Everytime I get this newsletter….make it a II PLEASE!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my worry is that i will accidentally not see an II bc of all the emails lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
WOW am i the only one who applied with a low mcat (510) ? IK northwestern is competitive and high mcat score, but its my dream school and its mission strongly aligns with my goals and achievements. So i thought I would shoot my shot 😩 (i was almost not going to but then i heard people with 505s got in)

don’t know the full ins and outs of it all but i know NU has or had a few different pathways to admission, including HPME (though i believe the last class for that matriculated a year or two ago) and i believe there is an early admission pathway for NU undergrads i heard about while there, i think you apply in sophomore year or smth like that? i’m not sure how these programs may have affected the stats or stories you heard. i’m sure plenty people have NU a shot with lower MCATs but i would say the average applicant and def average matriculant is closer to 520 mcat.

WOW am i the only one who applied with a low mcat (510) ? IK northwestern is competitive and high mcat score, but its my dream school and its mission strongly aligns with my goals and achievements. So i thought I would shoot my shot 😩 (i was almost not going to but then i heard people with 505s got in)
Of the students who were accepted to this school, 10% of them had below a 512, but I would assume those individuals have something extremely outstanding to the point that their MCAT score could have been overlooked for it (so I sort of doubt that many people with 505's got in). Never hurts to give it a shot though, perhaps you may be that outstanding applicant

• Care
I am interviewing with a low to mid 51X so I wouldn’t lose hope

• Love
Interviewing with a 504 here!
Awesome Proud Of You GIF by Shalita Grant

don’t know the full ins and outs of it all but i know NU has or had a few different pathways to admission, including HPME (though i believe the last class for that matriculated a year or two ago) and i believe there is an early admission pathway for NU undergrads i heard about while there, i think you apply in sophomore year or smth like that? i’m not sure how these programs may have affected the stats or stories you heard. i’m sure plenty people have NU a shot with lower MCATs but i would say the average applicant and def average matriculant is closer to 520 mcat.
I applied to the latter program called NUPSP my junior year. I heard they usually only take ppl with 3.9+ gpas since many people who do that early program don't take the MCAT.

I applied to the latter program called NUPSP my junior year. I heard they usually only take ppl with 3.9+ gpas since many people who do that early program don't take the MCAT.
yeah, i talked to a friend who got in via NUPSP and that’s p much what he said too lol

Is there any data on what percentage of all acceptances given to Aug-Oct interviewees are given in the December wave?

Is there any data on what percentage of all acceptances given to Aug-Oct interviewees are given in the December wave?
I don’t have any exact data but in the interview it was emphasized that it was a very small amount and the vast majority of people get the delayed decision until march

I don’t have any exact data but in the interview it was emphasized that it was a very small amount and the vast majority of people get the delayed decision until march
Yeah that’s what they said during mine too. Feinberg is one of my top top choices and I just can’t do this waiting anymore 😩

Can anyone who’s been to the student Feinberg Virtual Chats let me know if the dress code is interview style or casual?

Hey y'all I don't receive the newsletter, never have (secondary submitted in July) - should it be happening automatically? I can't find a box I checked / didn't check in the secondary. I'm a little freaked out as this is my dream school so I don't want to be missing any communications!

Is it worth sending a pre-II LOI without a substantial application update? I've been holding off sending updates until a paper I'm on gets accepted to a journal but it keeps getting punted back for edits 😭😭

Is it worth sending a pre-II LOI without a substantial application update? I've been holding off sending updates until a paper I'm on gets accepted to a journal but it keeps getting punted back for edits 😭😭
Sending something pre interview between now and December really wouldn't make much of a difference, but if you send one in December, there's a higher chance you could include the update with the paper, which would be more impactful anyway

• Wow
Sending something pre interview between now and December really wouldn't make much of a difference, but if you send one in December, there's a higher chance you could include the update with the paper, which would be more impactful anyway
This might be a stupid question, but why is it not going to make a difference between now and December? Just the paper or is NW not looking at stuff until then? Thank you!!!

This might be a stupid question, but why is it not going to make a difference between now and December? Just the paper or is NW not looking at stuff until then? Thank you!!!
Paper and NW interviews into February as far as I know so I'd rather hedge my bets on having the paper and update in December over sending something now that's much weaker by comparison

• Love
^^ in support of toastedbutter, check CycleTrack for rejections. Northwestern batches them in February, so you won't be rejected before you have the chance to send one if you wait.

• Love
Hey y'all I don't receive the newsletter, never have (secondary submitted in July) - should it be happening automatically? I can't find a box I checked / didn't check in the secondary. I'm a little freaked out as this is my dream school so I don't want to be missing any communications!
bumping! sorry, I don't want to email the admissions office with an embarrassing question. Should we all be getting newsletters automatically or did you sign up? thanks!!

bumping! sorry, I don't want to email the admissions office with an embarrassing question. Should we all be getting newsletters automatically or did you sign up? thanks!!

I’m pretty sure it’s automatic. I did sign up and got the first two, but I didn’t get the last one for some reason

Master of science in law email today 😤 complete 7/20.

real talk tho feinberg lets cut to the chase and send me that II

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone who’s interviewed remember if they said letters of interest are welcome post-interview? I was honestly super relieved to be done with the interview and wasn’t paying attention lol

Does anyone who’s interviewed remember if they said letters of interest are welcome post-interview? I was honestly super relieved to be done with the interview and wasn’t paying attention lol
Yes, they are welcomed!

• Love