2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they have required in-person classes or if there are pre-recorded lectures and optional attendance?

Members don't see this ad.

any movement yet? last year some students were taken off the waitlist right around this time. plus they didn't have as many late interview invites as this year

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they have required in-person classes or if there are pre-recorded lectures and optional attendance?
Lectures are not required attendance I believe. Not pre-recorded, but every lecture is recorded and uploaded later. Mandatory attendance for some things though: OMM, anatomy lab, conference weeks, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
any movement yet? last year some students were taken off the waitlist right around this time. plus they didn't have as many late interview invites as this year
also curious! let me know if you (or anyone else) hears anything! also we can make a group to notify each other if we hear?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how accessible research opportunities are at Western? I'm aware of the Longitudinal: Biomedical and Clinical Research Track as well as some research projects ongoing at the school, but does anyone know of anything else, or is it up to the student to seek out external opportunities?

Does Western ghost after interview? Haven't heard back in over a month (they've gotten back to some people who interviewed the same day as me according to this page)

Does anyone know how accessible research opportunities are at Western? I'm aware of the Longitudinal: Biomedical and Clinical Research Track as well as some research projects ongoing at the school, but does anyone know of anything else, or is it up to the student to seek out external opportunities?
Given that there are so many programs at WesternU, there are many professors and lab conducting research. You just need to reach out to those profs/labs.

Does Western ghost after interview? Haven't heard back in over a month (they've gotten back to some people who interviewed the same day as me according to this page)
they've sent rejections from the 3/7 group so far

Anecdotally, they took a very long time to get back to me post-interview. Like way after all other applicants from my interview day. Try calling Christopher Vu, I found him to be the most helpful in keeping me informed about the status of my application. You might have to try calling a few times to get ahold of someone though.

Reactions: 1 users
Anecdotally, they took a very long time to get back to me post-interview. Like way after all other applicants from my interview day. Try calling Christopher Vu, I found him to be the most helpful in keeping me informed about the status of my application. You might have to try calling a few times to get ahold of someone though.
Will do, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
PSA: the phone number under Judith's name on the application portal directs you to the school of dentistry.

Post-II Waitlist OOS ORM just now. Was told the class is full

To people that were waitlisted, did they use the term "Alternate List" cause that's what my status update said. Just wondering if its the same thing

To people that were waitlisted, did they use the term "Alternate List" cause that's what my status update said. Just wondering if its the same thing
i was reading the western oregon campus page and i think they mentioned a distinction between alternate list and wait list. the wording on my thing was wait list, idk how the difference between the lists work.

They did not use the term "Alternate List" for me, just the waitlist. Not sure which one is better if there's any difference

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Are waitlist and alternate not the same thing? My status update said waitlist but the offer I accepted said alternate.

Found this in last year's thread posted around June,

"Congrats! Were you on the alternate list or the waitlist?" to which someone replied "alternate." I think they might be different lists

Just found the alternate status offer in the portal, so it might be one and the same

Also according to last years thread, these are the different emails you receive (wording should be similar or exact except years should be changed to 2027)

Alternate List:
On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona campus, I would like to inform you of your selection as one of the alternates for the DO Class of 2026. Please be assured that we are very much interested in the possibility of your matriculation. We hope that you share the same enthusiasm for our program and will keep us informed of your interest.

Waitlist:
On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) - Pomona campus, I am very pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee is interested in having you join the class of DO2026 and has placed you on the waitlist with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates. Although we were impressed with your application, we are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time because the applicants who were offered an acceptance prior to your interview have since confirmed their intent to attend COMP; the class is currently filled. Waitlisted candidates will be contacted first should a place become available in the class.

Reactions: 5 users
fwiw i don't think the class is actually full. past year threads have people receiving the waitlist class is full email and then others getting an outright acceptance later after that

Also according to last years thread, these are the different emails you receive (wording should be similar or exact except years should be changed to 2027)

Alternate List:
On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona campus, I would like to inform you of your selection as one of the alternates for the DO Class of 2026. Please be assured that we are very much interested in the possibility of your matriculation. We hope that you share the same enthusiasm for our program and will keep us informed of your interest.

Waitlist:
On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) - Pomona campus, I am very pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee is interested in having you join the class of DO2026 and has placed you on the waitlist with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates. Although we were impressed with your application, we are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time because the applicants who were offered an acceptance prior to your interview have since confirmed their intent to attend COMP; the class is currently filled. Waitlisted candidates will be contacted first should a place become available in the class.
Oh interesting! Thank you for this. I wonder if WL > alt or Alt > WL. Based on last year's thread WL > Alt but I wonder if that's still true

WL but the offer used the term “Offer of Alternate Status”

I received the same thing. Had the option to accept or reject the alternate status
from the Oregon campus western thread 2 months ago

"If the update says “waitlist with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates” I believe that would be the waitlist as oppose to the alternate list? My portal also says “reply to offer of alternate status” which is confusing, but I think the letter is most accurate."

I think only the wording in the actual letter changes but it will always say "reply to offer of alternate status"

from the Oregon campus western thread 2 months ago

"If the update says “waitlist with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates” I believe that would be the waitlist as oppose to the alternate list? My portal also says “reply to offer of alternate status” which is confusing, but I think the letter is most accurate."

I think only the wording in the actual letter changes but it will always say "reply to offer of alternate status"
Somehow it said “waitlist with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates" along with "reply to offer of alternate status"

Somehow it said “waitlist with a limited number of other highly qualified candidates" along with "reply to offer of alternate status"
yeah, i think thats normal. the option to reply will always have a "reply to offer of alternate status" but the wording in the official letter is what determines waitlist vs alternate list. i could be wrong tho

i think there's so many factors that go into pulling from the list that we'll never know the actual priority is between alternate and waitlist (if there even is one). best just to stay positive and not get too in the head about it :)

yeah, i think thats normal. the option to reply will always have a "reply to offer of alternate status" but the wording in the official letter is what determines waitlist vs alternate list. i could be wrong tho
That makes sense. Based on the emails, there is clearly a difference between the two. WL has a better chance it seems

Agreed- Chris Vu was the most helpful throughout the process!

Got the WL today after I interviewed March 13th. The whole interview day was honestly a **** show, you could tell they were disorganized and they showed up super late on top of it. The cherry on top is the promise that we would hear back in 2 weeks MAX and it has now been a month lol. If there’s an option to withdraw from the WL I will be doing so

Did anyone else here apply for the Trustee Scholarship? I was wondering if one person from each class gets it or if it's one person from each college.

you don't even have to withdraw tbh. u have to accept your waitlist spot, so if ur not interested i'd just ignore the status update or reject the waitlist spot. you should see an option to do so.

Congratulations to all and happy to hear everyone finally received a response Best of luck!!

• Care
I know the secondary deadline has passed but on my portal it shows the secondary application but I never received an email to complete the secondary. Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:
Did anyone else here apply for the Trustee Scholarship? I was wondering if one person from each class gets it or if it's one person from each college.
I have applied for Trustee scholarship. Have not heard back anything yet though. I am really hoping to receive it.

what are the questions this school asks for traditional interview? also what is the best way to prep for MMI?

Does western use a ranking system for their students or is it p/f?
At my interview social they said they rank in quartiles, but it's not a big deal. I believe they have to request access to see their rank. They are not true pass fail - I think it's H/P/F etc

At my interview social they said they rank in quartiles, but it's not a big deal. I believe they have to request access to see their rank. They are not true pass fail - I think it's H/P/F etc
Thanks!

the amcas deadline for applicants with multiple acceptances to start making choices (top 3) was 17 april. hoping for lots of movement this week because of that. :)

Reactions: 7 users