2022-2023 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted 6/30 and received an email saying I'm under review today. On average, it seems it's taking folks ~7-10 days so far. It'll probably take more time to reach this point as the cycle continues.

I got under review not long after posting my question haha.

Thanks for responding!

Members don't see this ad.

I got under review not long after posting my question haha.

Thanks for responding!
No worries. I'm also just realizing that you said you're ED -- stupid moment on my part LOL. For anyone reading my comment, I am RD, so ED def will be processed much faster than I was.

Under review today, secondary submitted 7/2.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know when's first set of II's usually starts coming out? I know Tulane is early but idk how early

anyone know when's first set of II's usually starts coming out? I know Tulane is early but idk how early
Tulane interviews all their Early Decision applicants together then starts inviting regular decision applicants in late August/September. At a medical student panel I attended, the students were asked when they were interviewed and accepted. They gave dates all across the cycle so I wouldn't worry if it takes a while.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm ready to turn in my secondary but just ran across this error when trying to upload my photo. The photo is under 4 MB and uploaded just fine to Columbia's identical portal minutes ago, so I know it's not an issue with MY disk. Should I contact Tulane for help? Has anyone else had this error? it's just such a silly thing keeping me from turning my app in
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 11.53.00 AM.png

Thank you to @dooda25 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Tulane Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)

2. What disparities in health do you believe are pertinent to the New Orleans patient population? How would you attempt to address them as a medical student at Tulane? You may support your answer by using past involvement working in a similar patient population to compare and/or describe your interest in any student activities offered at Tulane or in New Orleans. (150 words)

3. Who knows you best and how would they describe you? (150 words)

4. What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (No word max)

5. Please list any leadership positions (clubs, organizations, paid work) you may have held. (100 words)

6. Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interest. (150 words)

7. (OPTIONAL) Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (60 words)

8. In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (No word max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Tulane University School of Medicine Interview Feedback
So I belong to a disadvantaged economic background, which I will be addressing in the secondary prompt, but I had doubts as to what constitutes a religious minority. I am a Hindu, so would that be an appropriate point to discuss in the prompt?

So I belong to a disadvantaged economic background, which I will be addressing in the secondary prompt, but I had doubts as to what constitutes a religious minority. I am a Hindu, so would that be an appropriate point to discuss in the prompt?
I doubt it. I would think Hindus are accurately represented or overrepresented among medical professionals in the USA compared to the general population. It is an interesting point so you could definitely do some research.

I'm ready to turn in my secondary but just ran across this error when trying to upload my photo. The photo is under 4 MB and uploaded just fine to Columbia's identical portal minutes ago, so I know it's not an issue with MY disk. Should I contact Tulane for help? Has anyone else had this error? it's just such a silly thing keeping me from turning my app in
View attachment 357160
me too and idk why this is happening

View attachment 357160
I emailed them, and they said it would be fixed by tomorrow morning.

I doubt it. I would think Hindus are accurately represented or overrepresented among medical professionals in the USA compared to the general population. It is an interesting point so you could definitely do some research.
Apparently, Hindus only represent 0.7% of the U.S population.
I can't speak for how they are represented in the medical profession the poster should do his due diligence.
From my understanding, Indians are not considered URM in medicine, but not all Indians practice Hinduism or a religion.
While Hindus are the majority in India, there are those that are Muslims, Sikhs, etc.

I can't speak for how they are represented in the medical profession the poster should do his due diligence.
From my understanding, Indians are not considered URM in medicine, but not all Indians practice Hinduism or a religion.
While Hindus are the majority in India, there are those that are Muslims, Sikhs, etc.

Based off a quick google search, Hindus make up roughly 5% of physicians, so saying they’re underrepresented is a stretch.

I'm pretty sure the second most common last name for doctors is "Patel", so I would not describe a Hindu as a religious minority in medicine. There are definitely places on an application where it's appropriate to share how your religious background has shaped you, but I'm not sure this is the place for that.

Based off a quick google search, Hindus make up roughly 5% of physicians, so saying they’re underrepresented is a stretch.

This is an interesting table.

Table 1​

Religious Affiliation of Physicians Compared with the U.S. Population

Affiliation​
Physicians, % (N)​
U.S. Population,*% (N)​
P (χ2)​
Protestant​
38.8 (427)​
54.7 (800)​
.00​
Catholic​
21.7 (244)​
26.7 (370)​
.01​
Jewish​
14.1 (181)​
1.9 (26)​
.00​
None†​
10.6 (117)​
13.3 (198)​
.06​
Hindu​
5.3 (53)​
0.2 (1)​
.00​
Muslim​
2.7 (33)​
0.5 (5)​
.00​
Orthodox​
2.2 (22)​
0.5 (7)​
.00​
Mormon​
1.7 (17)​
0.4 (6)​
.00​
Buddhist​
1.2 (13)​
0.2 (3)​
.01​
Other​
1.8 (18)​
1.6 (21)​
.70​
Total​
100 (1125)​
100 (1437)​

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
has anyone who has received the under review further gotten any emails? like decision has been made etc

Based on the thread from the last normal cycle, 19-20, Im guessing they could start sending interview invites out this upcoming Monday or the next Monday

Reactions: 1 users
Based on the thread from the last normal cycle, 19-20, Im guessing they could start sending interview invites out this upcoming Monday or the next Monday

Yep. Last year they started sending out around the 28th I think. Maybe it’ll be sooner this cycle.

I know that ED gets interviews first but I’m not sure if they may also sprinkle RD invites in with the ED ones.

I’d say ED invites will go out initially then RD shortly thereafter but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I have been thinking too and hence wanted to confirm

Yes, population-wise, Hindus are in the minority in the U.S., and since the prompt asks for representation in medicine, I am unsure whether to include that.

Is anyone else still waiting for a secondary?? Verified 7/7 and OOS 😤

I'm pretty sure the second most common last name for doctors is "Patel", so I would not describe a Hindu as a religious minority in medicine. There are definitely places on an application where it's appropriate to share how your religious background has shaped you, but I'm not sure this is the place for that.
Yes, I agree with that. Although I come from a subsection of the Hindu community that is considered a minority unlike the ones you mentioned such as Patels, I understand your point.

Have you checked your spam? They don't screen so they send it out to everyone within a few days of receiving the primary application.
Ugh yeah, I check it multiple times a day. I guess I'll call them tomorrow or something. Thank you!

For the question about identifying with an underrepresented group in medicine, does anyone know which ethnic groups Tulane defines as URM? Whenever this question comes up I'm always confused on how to answer because some schools like UCSF and UVM explicitly state my ethnic group as URM but some schools don't.

For the question about identifying with an underrepresented group in medicine, does anyone know which ethnic groups Tulane defines as URM? Whenever this question comes up I'm always confused on how to answer because some schools like UCSF and UVM explicitly state my ethnic group as URM but some schools don't.

I think they’re opening it up for you to decide and then explain why you think you’re underrepresented. That’s why the question is worded subjectively. It’s not like they have a list of ethnic groups they deem underrepresented. It’s what you personally believe.

I added Tulane to my profile 7/5 and haven't heard back, OOS. Did u hear back by chance @szeth
Nope. From previous posts, it seems like we'll probably hear back this coming week. Crossing my fingers lol

Any ED applicants hear anything back about interviews yet?

I have this info. But I am swamped with other Apps and not yet submitted this one. So wondering if it is 2-3 weeks unofficial or I have atleast 4 weeks? Just wanted to understand the timeline.
Oh, I responded that because you asked for the "actual deadline". It's believed to be of great advantage to submit Tulane ASAP, as they are known for interviewing people who submit early.

Oh, I responded that because you asked for the "actual deadline". It's believed to be of great advantage to submit Tulane ASAP, as they are known for interviewing people who submit early.
Thank you so much for your reply! Hopefully I can submit soon. Wish I had at at least 3 weeks for a decent essays.

Important Dates | Medical Student Admissions | Washington University in St. Louis

mdadmissions.wustl.edu
mdadmissions.wustl.edu
December 7, 2022: LAST DAY (for MD-only applicants) for Washington University School of Medicine to receive your:

• Supplemental Application
  • Recommendation letters
  • MCAT Scores
Thanks for your reply.
I have this info. But I am swamped with other Apps and not yet submitted this one. So wondering if it is 2-3 weeks unofficial or I have atleast 4 weeks? Just wanted to understand the timeline.

OOS secondary received, AMCAS verified 7/17