2022-2023 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, for the first question about experiences that increased appreciation for other communities, did yall write multiple experiences or just expand deeply on one? I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach the question while editing

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, for the first question about experiences that increased appreciation for other communities, did yall write multiple experiences or just expand deeply on one? I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach the question while editing
I had a general theme/topic I discussed and tied in 3 examples for flow

Reactions: 1 user
I had a general theme/topic I discussed and tied in 3 examples for flow
that's kinda what i was thinking about doing, i just don't know how well i can connect my experiences bc one's from my research experience and the other is from volunteer and its totally different communities so i might just wing it??

Members don't see this ad :)
II an hour ago! LM 75, secondary complete 6/8. So excited :)

Reactions: 1 users
II received! LM 66. Secondary complete 8/11. Insane turn around!!

Reactions: 2 users
Also please feel free to send me Qs about apps and anything TAMU related. Goodluck !!

In-state II received from EnMed just now - grateful and excited!

Does anybody know the discounted hotel price they mention for the Intercontinental?
Hey @CaptNemo were there multiple EnMed dates for you to pick from? I will have to fly in from DC, and I cannot make the 1 date available on the schedule. I am kind of panicking. When is your interview scheduled for?

A&M is doing separate interviews for EnMed vs A&M on different dates?

Yes as EnMed are in person and have their own committee
Do you know anyone doing the EnMed program currently? I would love to ask some questions. I just received an II OOS today. I haven't seen any current student pop up on here yet...

Do you know anyone doing the EnMed program currently? I would love to ask some questions. I just received an II OOS today. I haven't seen any current student pop up on here yet...

Congrats! When was your complete date if you don’t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Post your questions and there will be someone who will answer questions. Are you an engineering major?

Some pretty pictures for you true blue Aggies -
These were taken by A&M students and
I found them on the school's Facebook page

302144283_387883346837249_5071375293071449596_n.jpg
300443457_387883363503914_6891041856238543965_n.jpg

302201026_387883316837252_1414770874400725415_n.jpg
302431980_387883326837251_2885372135721686415_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Congrats! When was your complete date if you don’t mind me asking?
Post your questions and there will be someone who will answer questions. Are you an engineering major?
I was complete 7/2. I have a civil engineering degree and having been working for the last 9 years.

I want to know about the innovation project requirement and some examples, as well as how balancing the MS in engineering alongside an MD is to start!

they are from the A&M Facebook page - can't claim the photo credit !
I had a feeling you didn't take em, but they are so nice. I figured you wouldn't want to give away your identity, should you be A&M faculty. They picked a great day to take em!

Hey everyone! It's been a few weeks but I still wanted to give a rundown of the EnMed program's amazing interview day for future waves.
Note: they did tell us that they were trying out a few new things and working out the kinks for this interview season with our group, so your experience may slightly vary.

This interview was in-person at their Houston EnMed campus, so I first of all wanted to thank A&M for giving me the opportunity to visit friends after being OOS all summer :D After everyone settled in the lobby, we were firstly shown around the student quarters of the building, with some highlights being the maker space and the simulated patient rooms: all very cutting edge and swanky. Next, they brought us into an auditorium to teach us about the purpose of EnMed, the curriculum specifics (with how the engineering component was added into the program). There was also a virtual tour of Houston Methodist (since the hospital was still closed at the time).

Next, we did a ~30-minute team-building engineering activity with a partner (probably will be a group for later interviewees because our group was apparently half of what a regular interview day has).

Then we went upstairs to the boardroom/conference room (some of the nicest seats I've ever sat in ngl) for a talk with Dean Pettigrew - he gave a lecture on his perspective on EnMed's innovations and purpose (extremely intelligent and good-natured person, that much was clearly visible even in the short lecture). Then we broke for lunch while having a super informal student panel (just applicants and current students for ~45 minutes).

Finally in the afternoon, we had interviews interspersed with engineering quizzes. I won't spoil material from the engineering quizzes - they're on diverse topics, but DON'T STRESS ABOUT THEM. They weren't meant to be super easy, and the staff themselves said that they likely won't count for much. Just put down what you know.

We had four different instances of interviews. It seems that unlike previous years, EnMed has begun doing College of Medicine interviews at their interview day rather than on Thursday of that week at College Station. The interviews were with a 2-person panel from Academics (asking questions trying to see if you could handle their flipped classroom format and whether you can handle the rigor of medical school), a 2-person panel from Engineering (looking into your technical Engineering background to see what kinds of interests and skills you bring to the EnMed student community), and 2 one-on-one Medicine interviews (my first purposefully came in blind and we just had a chill conversation about why each of us decided to go into medicine, my second had read my app and went closer to a few questions she had been prompted to ask but we had a good convo regardless - be prepared for anything as usual). Feel free to ask any questions that y'all have!

Hey @CaptNemo were there multiple EnMed dates for you to pick from? I will have to fly in from DC, and I cannot make the 1 date available on the schedule. I am kind of panicking. When is your interview scheduled for?
Hi! There unfortunately weren't any other dates explicitly offered to me, however they did give an email in the initial invitation email "TAMU Medicine EnMed: Interview Invitation" that they told us to email for any concerns or if we need any accommodations. The A&M staff at my interview date (was about 2 weeks ago) were EXTREMELY nice and welcoming. Take a deep breath in and out, you're going to do amazing!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I was complete 7/2. I have a civil engineering degree and having been working for the last 9 years.

I want to know about the innovation project requirement and some examples, as well as how balancing the MS in engineering alongside an MD is to start!

1661912307541.png

Well there goes my chances then... lol jk... unless?

On a serious note, they gave us some info about both of those topics. The innovation project can be any novel addition you bring to the field, whether strictly with other students or as part of a research lab that publishes something. The program's goal is to have at least one patent and a few papers behind every graduate to really bolster their residency apps compared to other med schools. Some examples were some students who've started a company to sell a patented medical device out there in the field. Another example is some students who set up an electronic medical record for Houston Methodist - they tried to emphasize that the sky's the limit. Your final deliverable will be the Innovation "Portfolio" which is a collection of all the novel things you've built or researched about during your time with EnMed.

For balancing engineering, the way they and students explained made it sound pretty doable. The courseload is essentially set up as just another class you take alongside medicine. It starts with one class during the summer with only engineering content to let you settle into Houston. Then that one class model just keeps going. Interspersed throughout your other electives (which you can see in gray below), you'll also have to take 3 electives directly working with doctors at Houston Methodist (or potentially other sites in TMC? IDK) to develop ideas and prototypes for devices that can solve problems they come across in their practice. They assign you a specialty in at least one and you choose based on your residency interests in at least one. The thing is that it isn't "extra" work per say, just different work than you'd be doing in a more conventional program.
1661913243659.png

Last edited:
Any value in submitting my secondary this week? I somehow mistakenly marked it as complete and just realized it wasn't. In-state, ok stats, re-applicant

Current M1 student here, feel free to DM me if you have any questions!
(Not just a polite offer haha, actually please feel free to reach out!)

Hi, I have a few questions I wished I asked during my interview day.

Does Texas AM provide students with a laptop/iPad/etc? Is there something you highly recommend getting before arriving to campus?
Are all lectures recorded?
Is lecture attendance mandatory?
How does research work once you get to your rotation site if the student chooses not to stay in BCS?

What is your class size? How does it compare to previous year? How deferred people from previous batch in your class.

View attachment 359042
Well there goes my chances then... lol jk... unless?

On a serious note, they gave us some info about both of those topics. The innovation project can be any novel addition you bring to the field, whether strictly with other students or as part of a research lab that publishes something. The program's goal is to have at least one patent and a few papers behind every graduate to really bolster their residency apps compared to other med schools. Some examples were some students who've started a company to sell a patented medical device out there in the field. Another example is some students who set up an electronic medical record for Houston Methodist - they tried to emphasize that the sky's the limit. Your final deliverable will be the Innovation "Portfolio" which is a collection of all the novel things you've built or researched about during your time with EnMed.

For balancing engineering, the way they and students explained made it sound pretty doable. The courseload is essentially set up as just another class you take alongside medicine. It starts with one class during the summer with only engineering content to let you settle into Houston. Then that one class model just keeps going. Interspersed throughout your other electives (which you can see in gray below), you'll also have to take 3 electives directly working with doctors at Houston Methodist (or potentially other sites in TMC? IDK) to develop ideas and prototypes for devices that can solve problems they come across in their practice. They assign you a specialty in at least one and you choose based on your residency interests in at least one. The thing is that it isn't "extra" work per say, just different work than you'd be doing in a more conventional program.
View attachment 359043
Thank you so much! This is such a cool program. I am hoping to get down to Houston and interview in October. Could you PM me and let me know your general impressions of the day?

Does Texas AM provide students with a laptop/iPad/etc?
No. And you will need one to take exams.
Is there something you highly recommend getting before arriving to campus?
A high quality chair and a refreshing summer break prior to starting.
Are all lectures recorded?
Yes. Students have access to the previous year's lecture recordings and the current year's are posted within a few days of the lecture.
Is lecture attendance mandatory?
No, all day-to-day lectures are optional. However, there are other mandatory events which are block-dependent (i.e. anatomy lab) and a weekly afternoon dedicated to learning clinical skills and the soft skills of medicine. Sometimes mandatory events are virtual but they are typically in-person, especially during the first year with labs going on.
How does research work once you get to your rotation site if the student chooses not to stay in BCS?
Depends on your research. Clinical research is largely not tied to a physical location as the work can primarily be done virtually.

What is the CO2026 class size? How does it compare to CO2025?
Steps have been taken so that the issues of class overage for the CO2025 will not be repeated and there are no more unusual deferrals impacting the future CO2027, so I would not worry about it for this current or future cycles. The School of Medicine is expanding its class size and looking to settle on a class size around 230 - 250 in the coming years, but I do not know what the current class size goal is for the CO2027.

No. And you will need one to take exams.

A high quality chair and a refreshing summer break prior to starting.

Yes. Students have access to the previous year's lecture recordings and the current year's are posted within a few days of the lecture.

No, all day-to-day lectures are optional. However, there are other mandatory events which are block-dependent (i.e. anatomy lab) and a weekly afternoon dedicated to learning clinical skills and the soft skills of medicine. Sometimes mandatory events are virtual but they are typically in-person, especially during the first year with labs going on.

Depends on your research. Clinical research is largely not tied to a physical location as the work can primarily be done virtually.

Steps have been taken so that the issues of class overage for the CO2025 will not be repeated and there are no more unusual deferrals impacting the future CO2027, so I would not worry about it for this current or future cycles. The School of Medicine is expanding its class size and looking to settle on a class size around 230 - 250 in the coming years, but I do not know what the current class size goal is for the CO2027.
That didnt answer any of my questions! I really want to know what your current class size is and how many were admitted in 2021 that are in your calss. Dont care about the future!

That didnt answer any of my questions! I really want to know what your current class size is and how many were admitted in 2021. Dont care about the future!
A&M stated their size this year will be 200 regular MD and 50 EnMed.
My source is a direct inquiry to their admissions department.
@texasvandy, why so aggressive with your questioning?!

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
A&M stated their size this year will be 200 regular MD and 50 EnMed.
My source is a direct inquiry to their admissions department.
@texasvandy, why so aggressive with your questioning?!
I am trying to figure out if A&M cut back on interviewing in 2021-22 because they had to give up certain number of seats to already deferred students. I felt they ignored many last year that deserved an interview but trying to see if I was wrong.

I am trying to figure out if A&M cut back on interviewing in 2021-22 because they had to give up certain number of seats to already deferred students. I felt they ignored many last year that deserved an interview but trying to see if I was wrong.
Got ya. Here's what I know:
For EY 2021 they interviewed 737 and matriculated 226, according to the MSAR.
MSAR lists 33 deferred (24 IS, 8 OOS, 1 International)

I think that high # of deferrals was a result of A&M still making up for the year they over-accepted.
(Newbies, we're not going to re-hash that event here in this year's thread but you can refer to the 2020-2021 thread if you wish.)
The 226 matriculants also agrees with the final number of students for EY 2021 that a member of that year's class confirmed to me.

Got ya. Here's what I know:
For EY 2021 they interviewed 737 and matriculated 226, according to the MSAR.
MSAR lists 33 deferred (24 IS, 8 OOS, 1 International)

I think that high # of deferrals was a result of A&M still making up for the year they over-accepted.
(Newbies, we're not going to re-hash that event here in this year's thread but you can refer to the 2020-2021 thread if you wish.)
The 226 matriculants also agrees with the final number of students for EY 2021 that a member of that year's class confirmed to me.
Thank you ma'am! Any numbers for current M1 or the official numbers are still pending?

My experience with the interview was great! Not stressful and the interviewers were kind.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Interspersed throughout your other electives (which you can see in gray below), you'll also have to take 3 electives directly working with doctors at Houston Methodist (or potentially other sites in TMC? IDK)
Current EnMed M3 here, just wanted to clarify this. These electives can be done with anyone, not just Houston Methodist. EnMed is building relationships with the nearby institutions to make for easier integration (Texas Children's, MD Anderson, Etc), but students are also able to make their own connections for these projects. Nothing really stopping you from reaching outside of the TMC as well.

Currently doing my interview with Texas A&M (9/8/22). Expect a short write up on how my interview went and what general questions to expect. There were some questions that the institution asked the interviewers to ask me, so I will not share those to y'all (for legal reasons). Aside from that, expect some information!! (Spoilers: This is a very nice school and has moved up my rankings for sure).

Reactions: 6 users
Interview:
Both Faculty. Faculty 1: Very nice person. Laughed and smiled a lot through my answers (like they had to hold in a laugh). I don't take this in a bad way. Actually, I liked it because it showed me that they liked my answers and are soft spirited. I was asked, "You mention you wanted to be a physician to care for people. Can't you care for others in a different occupation?" "You mentioned wanting to become a professor, but why?" "Have you ever connected with anyone who was different from you? What did you learn?" "Was there ever a moment where you had to step out of your comfort zone? When, and what did you learn?" "What do you think is a major problem in medicine right now, and how would you help alleviate this?" How do you deal with a fear and what are some of the steps taken to deal with a phobia? Then questions about my application in general. I was told by both interviewers, by the way, that my application was strong. I mention this because my interviewer for Quinnipiac yesterday (9/7/22) said it was weak. So :unsure:.

Faculty 2: He had an MS2 shadowing him for interviewing. He asked me what I would do if I didn't get in this cycle or the next cycle. What would be an ideal volunteering program for me (what do I think is great volunteering?). Why medicine? Why do I want to be a doctor? Why do I want to be a professor? What was a time I worked in a group? Describe these videos that you made and why did you make them? What is the role of a physician in both treating the patient and in working in a team? What would be your role when treating a patient?

The MS2 asked me a single question: What specialty are you thinking of pursuing right now?

Overall, it was a nice interview and I was not asked why Texas A&M (though I recommend knowing Why Us for any school, even if its an MMI).
Texas A&M really went up in my rankings today. They have multiple campus, such as Round Rock, Houston, and Dallas. Within these locations, they have a multitude of hospitals, clinics, and other learning sites. The students are happy (genuinely) and are in relationships (so they have free time and other interests aside from school). They tend to score within the Step 1 (when it was graded) average and Step 2 average.
The shadowing MS2 mentioned that he would like Texas A&M to allow time for the students to study for Step 1 separately, rather than having to divide his time for studying for "in-house" class exams and also for his Step.

Info: If you pursue the MD/PHD, the school will provide substantial aid and you essential go to school for free, from what I've heard.
If you pursue the Med Plus program, you can either do the extra degree before your Ms1 year (defer a year to pursue your masters), or you can do your masters after the 3rd year and then finish your MD degree in the MS4 year afterwards.
What made Texas A&M rise in ranking was the multitude of campuses, having the option to possibly stay at home, and having more study resources and faculty aid to help me do well in school.

As for selecting a campus, students can select a campus that they want to go to after matching with Texas A&M. If I wanted to go to Round Rock, I would select a check box designating it as my first choice. Students have a 91% of getting into their 1st choice location, 8.5% of their second location, and 0.5% of getting into their third location. If you are assigned into a location that you don't like, you can appeal it. A valid appeal may be considered if: you want to care for a sick loved one, your spouse or boy/girlfriend or significant other is at a certain location, or if you have extensive benchwork research in a location and do not want to move (such as working in a lab in Houston and getting assigned to Dallas). They will work with you to help you be happy. I like that about Texas A&M.

Overall, it's a pretty good school!

Reactions: 3 users
A&M campus allocation: Those assigned to Houston spend an additional semester in college station (18 months).

A&M campus allocation: Those assigned to Houston spend an additional semester in college station (18 months).
Yes, and on average there are about 60 students per site. As for the MEDPlus program, they’re working on a way to integrate the program so that you can get a masters in 4 years and not 5 years. They did not mention any over enrollment this presentation. Sorry, Vandy

The students are happy (genuinely) and are in relationships (so they have free time and other interests aside from school).
I'm glad you had a good interview experience! From my experience, all of the current A&M classes heavily value and prioritize mental health and the wellbeing of our classmates, so I'm glad it showed.
The shadowing MS2 mentioned that he would like Texas A&M to allow time for the students to study for Step 1 separately, rather than having to divide his time for studying for "in-house" class exams and also for his Step.
Many of us (myself included) wish we had more NBME content throughout our courses; however, we do still have ~7 weeks of dedicated STEP 1 study time even with our 10-week summer between M1 and M2. Anecdotally, I know several classmates (myself included) who only use STEP resources to study and still do well on the in-house exams.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Interview:
Both Faculty. Faculty 1: Very nice person. Laughed and smiled a lot through my answers (like they had to hold in a laugh). I don't take this in a bad way. Actually, I liked it because it showed me that they liked my answers and are soft spirited. I was asked, "You mention you wanted to be a physician to care for people. Can't you care for others in a different occupation?" "You mentioned wanting to become a professor, but why?" "Have you ever connected with anyone who was different from you? What did you learn?" "Was there ever a moment where you had to step out of your comfort zone? When, and what did you learn?" "What do you think is a major problem in medicine right now, and how would you help alleviate this?" How do you deal with a fear and what are some of the steps taken to deal with a phobia? Then questions about my application in general. I was told by both interviewers, by the way, that my application was strong. I mention this because my interviewer for Quinnipiac yesterday (9/7/22) said it was weak. So :unsure:.

Faculty 2: He had an MS2 shadowing him for interviewing. He asked me what I would do if I didn't get in this cycle or the next cycle. What would be an ideal volunteering program for me (what do I think is great volunteering?). Why medicine? Why do I want to be a doctor? Why do I want to be a professor? What was a time I worked in a group? Describe these videos that you made and why did you make them? What is the role of a physician in both treating the patient and in working in a team? What would be your role when treating a patient?

The MS2 asked me a single question: What specialty are you thinking of pursuing right now?

Overall, it was a nice interview and I was not asked why Texas A&M (though I recommend knowing Why Us for any school, even if its an MMI).
Texas A&M really went up in my rankings today. They have multiple campus, such as Round Rock, Houston, and Dallas. Within these locations, they have a multitude of hospitals, clinics, and other learning sites. The students are happy (genuinely) and are in relationships (so they have free time and other interests aside from school). They tend to score within the Step 1 (when it was graded) average and Step 2 average.

Info: If you pursue the MD/PHD, the school will provide substantial aid and you essential go to school for free, from what I've heard.
If you pursue the Med Plus program, you can either do the extra degree before your Ms1 year (defer a year to pursue your masters), or you can do your masters after the 3rd year and then finish your MD degree in the MS4 year afterwards.
What made Texas A&M rise in ranking was the multitude of campuses, having the option to possibly stay at home, and having more study resources and faculty aid to help me do well in school.

As for selecting a campus, students can select a campus that they want to go to after matching with Texas A&M. If I wanted to go to Round Rock, I would select a check box designating it as my first choice. Students have a 91% of getting into their 1st choice location, 8.5% of their second location, and 0.5% of getting into their third location. If you are assigned into a location that you don't like, you can appeal it. A valid appeal may be considered if: you want to care for a sick loved one, your spouse or boy/girlfriend or significant other is at a certain location, or if you have extensive benchwork research in a location and do not want to move (such as working in a lab in Houston and getting assigned to Dallas). They will work with you to help you be happy. I like that about Texas A&M.

Overall, it's a pretty good school!
Just commenting to nominate MCAThiccy for the amazing human being award. The prematches will be kind to them.

• Care
Why is this? ENMED or standard Houston clinical site for MS3 and MS4?
ENMED people start and end in Houston Methodist(?).

The regular A&M medicine students, all start classes in College Station. Whoever is allocated to Dallas and Roundrock (used to also be Temple but no longer there and now Baylor is taking over the set up) disperse at the end of year 1 and start taking classes at their designated locations. I know some of the MS2s who are already in Dallas. However, the ones allocated to Houston, stay back in College station until the end of the year and only relocate to Houston (Willowbrook Methodist?) in January.

One could also spend all 4 years at college station.

I'm glad you had a good interview experience! From my experience, all of the current A&M classes heavily value and prioritize mental health and the wellbeing of our classmates, so I'm glad it showed.
As a current student I wanted to emphasize again, TAMU faculty, staff and students care so much about you, its amazing. You have so many peopl to turn to, an amazing academic support team, and access to therapy. Professors and upperclassmen hold review sessions before every exam and do their best to make sure they address all your concerns. If you don't do well on an exam, you can enroll in their tutoring program and depending on the class - if you didnt do well - you will be assigned a faculty mentor that will try to help you out.

I love TAMU so much and am extremely proud to represent this school.

• Wow