2022-2023 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What pathways are yall choosing??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary this evening, Twin Cities, OOS w/ very strong ties

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone received a MSTP secondary? I received emails confirming my app/LOR was received and that’s it

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Our physicians pride themselves on giving outstanding care to patients, while looking for better and more equitable ways to do so. As you think about being a future physician and advocate for patients, describe a time when you advocated for someone or something. What did you learn from this situation?
For #1, would ESL tutoring be an ok example of a situation involving advocacy?

1. Our physicians pride themselves on giving outstanding care to patients, while looking for better and more equitable ways to do so. As you think about being a future physician and advocate for patients, describe a time when you advocated for someone or something. What did you learn from this situation?
For #1, would ESL tutoring be an ok example of a situation involving advocacy?
Hmmm, I think so! Maybe choose a specific interaction you remember, if you happened to go above and beyond for someone? Just my opinion.

Are students able to be accepted to both the Twin Cities and Duluth campus? Or will they be placed at one or the other if accepted?

I think you can only get accepted to one campus since both have the same curriculum now.

Reactions: 1 users
Any other IS applicants who selected TC campus still waiting for secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Our families and communities tend to shape our individual worlds and perceptions. Think about the communities that you are an active part of, whether it be a cultural group, family, religious group, neighborhood, etc. Describe the world that you are most comfortable in and how it has shaped who you are. How will this impact your future as a physician and the patients you will serve?"

Having some trouble with this question, does anyone have any thoughts on how to answer this?

I discussed my background and used lots of examples, then briefly fit in the answers to the rest of the prompt around my main idea.
"Our families and communities tend to shape our individual worlds and perceptions. Think about the communities that you are an active part of, whether it be a cultural group, family, religious group, neighborhood, etc. Describe the world that you are most comfortable in and how it has shaped who you are. How will this impact your future as a physician and the patients you will serve?"

Having some trouble with this question, does anyone have any thoughts on how to answer this?

How do u guys think they'll decide to place people if you choose both campus options?

I am kind of confused of why they have all 5 pathways in Duluth campus. Because Duluth's mission is rural and African American.

Can I apply to Duluth for my interest in Immigrant/refugee/global or urban health?

Duluth's mission is Native American and Rural health. They said all five will be offered on both campuses starting Fall 2023, so you can apply to Duluth with your pathway of choice.

I am kind of confused of why they have all 5 pathways in Duluth campus. Because Duluth's mission is rural and African American.

Can I apply to Duluth for my interest in Immigrant/refugee/global or urban health?
yes you can apply to duluth if u are interested in immigrant/refugee , u should put that as your preference cuz then theyll know ur committed to duluth and want to go there

Last edited:
I just submitted my secondary to twin cities. Did anyone get an email confirmation from them that their application is now complete? I didn't but i wanna make sure

I just submitted my secondary to twin cities. Did anyone get an email confirmation from them that their application is now complete? I didn't but i wanna make sure
Yes, you will eventually get a confirmation email. Takes a few days.

The reason is because the LCME told them they can’t have separate curriculums between the 2 campuses anymore. If I were to guess, many of the students who pick the rural/Native American pathway will still end up at Duluth

• Wow
What do people mean when they say complete? i have been reading other threads and people will say "I was completed July 27th" does that mean when they send the secondary in?

What do people mean when they say complete? i have been reading other threads and people will say "I was completed July 27th" does that mean when they send the secondary in?
Complete is when everything (primary, secondary, letters of recommendation) are marked received by the school and you are moved to the queue for review. For most schools (like UMN), this happens immediately upon receipt of your materials. A few others have a slightly longer verification process, if I remember correctly.

Complete is when everything (primary, secondary, letters of recommendation) are marked received by the school and you are moved to the queue for review. For most schools (like UMN), this happens immediately upon receipt of your materials. A few others have a slightly longer verification process, if I remember correctly.
tx... for the UMN how do we know if we are in the queue for review? will they send us an email or is it just if all our stuff is in?

tx... for the UMN how do we know if we are in the queue for review? will they send us an email or is it just if all our stuff is in?
If everything is checked off in your portal, you are good to go!

When Did you submit your secondary, if you don’t mind me asking?
Mid-August. It actually took me about 3 weeks to submit my secondary, even though they asked for you to do it in two (not sure if they are asking for two this year).

When are the first few interview invites sent out?

Hey everyone, I know they don't take AP/IB credit for the science prereqs, but does anyone know if they accept it for the upper division non-STEM prereq? I saw online they said they don't accept it for prereqs but then they gave STEM-specific examples. I emailed to ask and I'm sure the answer is no, but I figured I'd ask here too see if anyone knows of anyone who got accepted anyway. I have a good chunk of lower-division non-STEM, it's just the upper-division specification that's messing me up sadly.

Hey everyone, I know they don't take AP/IB credit for the science prereqs, but does anyone know if they accept it for the upper division non-STEM prereq? I saw online they said they don't accept it for prereqs but then they gave STEM-specific examples. I emailed to ask and I'm sure the answer is no, but I figured I'd ask here too see if anyone knows of anyone who got accepted anyway. I have a good chunk of lower-division non-STEM, it's just the upper-division specification that's messing me up sadly.
Are you talking about the humanities/social science requirement? My undergrad didn’t really separate lower and upper level classes, so I just submitted the most writing intensive and it was totally fine. I really doubt they would take AP/IB though.

Are you talking about the humanities/social science requirement? My undergrad didn’t really separate lower and upper level classes, so I just submitted the most writing intensive and it was totally fine. I really doubt they would take AP/IB though.
yeah, that. I don't have a non-STEM one that was upper-level and wasn't fulfilled by my IB credit, and while mine also does not have classes broken up by upper/lower, we do have it to where generally, the higher the number, the more "upper" the division. My most writing-intense non-STEM that was actually taken in the university was a Research Methods in Psych class that I'm not sure they'll take, and also isn't at/above the 300/3000 level they specified. Other than that I have like, beginner's french and other intro classes across the humanities.

edit: and a nutrition course that has a higher up number, but that wasn't writing intensive and it was just 1 class.

Last edited:
OOS secondary received. URM/Veteran. 500 mcat.

What a gargantuan secondary. I feel I deserve an interview just for completing it.

Reactions: 10 users
When do they start sending out Rs? i am nervous lol
Fun fact this was my first R the first time I applied in 2020. Came during halftime of the Umich/Minnesota game when umich was absolutely slaughtering them. Made it hurt slightly less :rofl: But i think that was mid september?

• Haha
Fun fact this was my first R the first time I applied in 2020. Came during halftime of the Umich/Minnesota game when umich was absolutely slaughtering them. Made it hurt slightly less :rofl: But i think that was mid september?
LOL..were you IS or OOS?