2022-2023 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody interviewing this friday 12/2 and still not received the itinerary or reminder email?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ii received today, complete 9/9, IS, LM 71
Congrats! Do you mind sharing specific stats and info?

It looks like they are going through apps in no specific order because someone complete 10/28 got an II the other day

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone, Im starting to lose hope. I was complete 8/22 and applications complete after me are getting interviews.

This process is stressful

Everyone, Im starting to lose hope. I was complete 8/22 and applications complete after me are getting interviews.

This process is stressful
Same boat!

Does anyone know if this school sends rejections?

For my MD/PhD folks: just spoke to admin today and they said they're about done sending out II for the year

Just got the acceptance call about 2 hours ago! Interviewed 10/26

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 7/22 and radio silence from this school. I am originally from East Lansing and have strong ties to MSU (went to East Lansing High School).

Interviewing here soon - can anyone talk about the student interview? it is open or closed app and what's the vibe like? thanks!

• Care
I got placed on the alternate list about a month ago, but I saw on other threads that some schools are already accepting people off the waitlists. Has anyone gotten accepted off the alternate list yet or does anyone know if MSU accepts WL applicants throughout the cycle?

II today, complete 9/10
So does anyone know how MSU admissions work? I have been complete since 8/22 and they are giving IIs to September and an October completion.

This is getting frustrating. Just give me an answer

So does anyone know how MSU admissions work? I have been complete since 8/22 and they are giving IIs to September and an October completion.

Bro some of us have been complete since July and also got nothing LOL

Something like this happened to me, last year, at my top choice school. It's frustrating, and it's one of the reasons I'm reapplying this year.

The timing/submission of our applications isn't the best predictor of secondaries, IIs, and acceptances. It usually boils down to a waiting game where "no news is good news." If you're not on hold, then you're still actively being considered for an II. For example, my friend who applied in May 2021 to MSU CHM (top choice) returned her secondary within a few days. She ended up receiving an II in mid-January, alternate list in April, and got the A in August (6 days before classes begin).

But hey - now she's an M1 who's thriving! That could easily be you. It just takes time.

Edit: italicize

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
congrats! stats if you don't mind sharing?
Terrible undergrad GPA from umich (both overall and sGPA below a 3.0, but lost a parent to cancer), hopkins for grad school, did well and lower MCAT, but 15,000+ clinical hours and 5,000+ volunteer hours, 4 publications, one first author, national fellowship, now work for a national office bringing sub-specialized care to rural populations and have a very strong commitment to helping the underserved. Started a volunteer organization during covid that was featured in the new york times and such. In-state. I think I'm considered disadvantaged because of our household income. My metrics are low but everything else is pretty good.

Don't give up hope! The assistant dean of admissions is passionate about giving disadvantaged students the chance of an admission. He is extremely friendly and kind and I'm sure would be open to questions if anyone had any. Also, remember they typically interview in-state students first and then move to OOS. Last year, 84% was in-state.

It's my only II and I absolutely loved the school, its curriculum, and so many things about it, so keep your fingers crossed for me. It's the only thing that's given me a sense of purpose in quite a long time :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Terrible undergrad GPA from umich (both overall and sGPA below a 3.0, but lost a parent to cancer), hopkins for grad school, did well and lower MCAT, but 15,000+ clinical hours and 5,000+ volunteer hours, 4 publications, one first author, national fellowship, now work for a national office bringing sub-specialized care to rural populations and have a very strong commitment to helping the underserved. Started a volunteer organization during covid that was featured in the new york times and such. In-state. I think I'm considered disadvantaged because of our household income. My metrics are low but everything else is pretty good.

Don't give up hope! The assistant dean of admissions is passionate about giving disadvantaged students the chance of an admission. He is extremely friendly and kind and I'm sure would be open to questions if anyone had any. Also, remember they typically interview in-state students first and then move to OOS. Last year, 84% was in-state.

It's my only II and I absolutely loved the school, its curriculum, and so many things about it, so keep your fingers crossed for me. It's the only thing that's given me a sense of purpose in quite a long time :)
we are all rooting for you!

you got this!!

you got this!!
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the good vibes. I had a really tough and abnormal road to get here and have just felt so discouraged throughout this entire process. I've been working so hard to prove that I can succeed when I'm not facing extenuating circumstances, and that I will. I'm very thankful to MSUCHM for looking beyond my grades and giving me a chance! All it takes is one <3

Best of luck to everyone this cycle!!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Anybody know how they like us to do thank you notes post interview? I know different schools have different preferences but i can't find it in my notes from my interview day

Has anyone interviewd 11/4 heard back ?

Oof just got put on the alternate list :(
Interviewed 11/4
It looks like some admissions decisions have come out.
Has anyone interviewd 11/4 heard back ?

The MSU CHM Application Process website (linked below) says that post-interview admissions decisions may be a bit sporadic, though.

"Files are not reviewed in any particular order. Many factors contribute to the timing of review of a given applicant, so someone who interviewed in November may get a decision before someone who interviewed in October. Please be assured that the application process is specifically designed so that the time an application is reviewed for a final decision is not a factor in the decision. Seats in the entering class remain available through the end of the application cycle."

Reference Link: Application Process | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University

Anybody know how they like us to do thank you notes post interview? I know different schools have different preferences but i can't find it in my notes from my interview day
I asked about this. You can send a thank you to the general admissions email and they will forward to the appropriate people if you choose to do individual ones.

Got the call at 6:30 PM MT today! I'm relieved, overjoyed, and grateful.

I'm OOS and interviewed 11/16. They just finished an admissions committee review, so there should be more calls coming through today and tomorrow! Wishing everyone the best.

:luck:

Reactions: 2 users
Dang. I interviewed on Dec 2 too and haven't gotten a call. Guess I didn't get in. Heartbroken but not surprised :(
Not so fast, friend! At my interview session, they said it takes at least 1 month to come to a decision. So don't you dare give up yet!

Also, MSU CHM publishes their decision dates on their website (linked below). Tomorrow, 12/14, was one of the dates listed. The date that you'd be more likely to hear is 1/18.

Here's the list:
1670988251904.png

Link: Application Process | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University

Edit: date

Dang. I interviewed on Dec 2 too and haven't gotten a call. Guess I didn't get in. Heartbroken but not surprised :(
Don’t worry, they review them in kind of a random order! Usually they say 6-8 weeks to get the decision.

• Care