2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It goes by rather quickly. There are two "interview" sections for the MD-only interview process: The "Case-based learning" session which simulates part of the clinical curriculum, and the 25-minute closed-file interview with two faculty members at the same time.

The closed-file interview begins with structured questions, where they ask ~3 questions and only record notes on your responses. No further elaboration or reaction to your answers. Once those are out of the way, the rest of the interview becomes more of a dialogue, going back and forth and so on.

The Case-based learning can last about an hour and takes place while other applicants are going through the 25-minute interviews. Here, several applicants are grouped and moderated by current students. You'll examine a case as a group and discuss it, trying to answer the questions related to it and learning more as the case goes on. Emphasis is given on how you work as a team, rather than whether you get it right or not. The students are able to clarify medical topics if there's info that isn't clear, since you're not really expected to at this stage know all of the ins and outs of the case.

The rest of the interview process includes learning more about the program, the location, and overall it was a relatively stress-free experience. All of the faculty and students were extremely friendly, easy to talk to, non-judgmental, and eager to hear more about you. I know it's easy to get stressed out during an interview, but they make it very easy to build rapport and before you know it, the interview is over and I found myself wanting to keep going a bit and talking longer with them. Nothing to worry about at all, I think you'll find this to be a very smooth interviewing experience
If your interview was in-person, what was the mask policy?

Members don't see this ad.

I had my interview recently and I was kinda left wondering something. Do y'all have any idea how the Case-Based Learning is graded, or how it's used in the applicant review process?

It was over Zoom, so unfortunately I can't answer that. The students for the Case-based learning session were together in the same room and weren't masked, but they also sat pretty far apart. I imagine it's always best to err on the side of caution with masks and have one handy if you're going in person

Members don't see this ad :)
II received this past Friday (9/23). OOS but ties to the university. ORM 3.93/517, complete 8/23

Reactions: 1 user
Any MSTP students with October or November interview dates? Are there really only 4 dates available, or is that just if you interview virtually?

Any MSTP students with October or November interview dates? Are there really only 4 dates available, or is that just if you interview virtually?
I interviewed in September but can confirm that there's only 4 dates, and virtual is the only option for MSTP

I had my interview recently and I was kinda left wondering something. Do y'all have any idea how the Case-Based Learning is graded, or how it's used in the applicant review process?

CBL isn’t testing your medical knowledge. It’s mainly to see how you work in a group. Do you participate well in a group setting / convo to work through the scenario? Main issues would be not participating much or the opposite end trying to dominate the convo and cutting others off

Mask policy in MERF (where you interview) is optional I believe but encouraged. I haven’t been very involved with the interview day much this year so I don’t know if they are still doing tours of the hospital. If they do take you to the hospital you have to wear a mask. Masks are available at all entrances. I would bring your own mask but if you forget you can find some

late update but II for MD/PhD on 9/14, complete 8/25; OOS but strong ties to UI

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my primary on 9/10 and am still waiting for a secondary. How long did it take you all to get your secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my primary on 9/10 and am still waiting for a secondary. How long did it take you all to get your secondary?
I got mine maybe 1-2 days after I was notified that my AMCAS application was verified. If your app has been verified on 9/10 and you are still waiting, I would probably contact them.

It took me almost a month between my primary was verified and receiving secondary

Reactions: 1 users
Do we know how often they send out emails regarding Rs or IIs, and if they do them in batches or just regularly? Has nobody heard anything since 10/4? This is my number one choice, I'm IS and if I can't get an II from my own state school, it gives me very little hope of getting positive responses from anywhere else :(

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Do we know how often they send out emails regarding Rs or IIs, and if they do them in batches or just regularly? Has nobody heard anything since 10/4? This is my number one choice, I'm IS and if I can't get an II from my own state school, it gives me very little hope of getting positive responses from anywhere else :(
I'm not sure about II, but last year Rs and As were sent out in weekly batches starting the middle of October.

Just had my interview here. The faculty and students here are amazing! I also thought the CBL was really fun.

I was wondering, did people who interviewed send a thank-you email to admissions staff? I know they mentioned not to send a thank-you to our interviewers but wasn't sure if people were sending one to admissions staff.

Just had my interview here. The faculty and students here are amazing! I also thought the CBL was really fun.

I was wondering, did people who interviewed send a thank-you email to admissions staff? I know they mentioned not to send a thank-you to our interviewers but wasn't sure if people were sending one to admissions staff.
I did not. They said it would be cumbersome for interviewers to deal with thank you notes, so I assume the same would be true for admin.

Hi guys! I interviewed on 9/30. Do y’all know if it’s a possibility that I would be in the batch hearing back tomorrow?

Hi guys! I interviewed on 9/30. Do y’all know if it’s a possibility that I would be in the batch hearing back tomorrow?
They told my group that we will find out roughly 6 weeks after we interview, so it'll likely be November for late-September interviews

They told my group that we will find out roughly 6 weeks after we interview, so it'll likely be November for late-September interviews

Thanks! That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure cause I saw posts last year from people interviewing around my time and hearing back on the 15th

Any updates on when/if carver sends out A/R on October 17th?

Acceptance via email/portal at 10:37 AM!!!!! IS, interviewed first day.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all the As! Do we know how often the adcom meets/releases admission decisions?

Congrats to all the As! Do we know how often the adcom meets/releases admission decisions?
No idea, but they told my group we’d find out in the first week of November but it happened today, so they might be ahead of schedule

Believe they meet every Tuesday. Not sure when decisions typically get released following those meetings though.

Believe they meet every Tuesday. Not sure when decisions typically get released following those meetings though.
I think last year it was around 3 or 4pm. They might skip today since they sent decisions just yesterday, but maybe we will be lucky!

Received A!!! *removed date for privacy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Congrats! What day did you interview? Would you mind sharing stats?

Thank you!! I interviewed 9/30. I’ve got a 4.0 undergrad and 3.9 grad GPA and 518 mcat. They said it’d take 6ish weeks but I’m also an IS applicant

Thank you!! I interviewed 9/30. I’ve got a 4.0 undergrad and 3.9 grad GPA and 518 mcat. They said it’d take 6ish weeks but I’m also an IS applicant
Woah you’re a super strong applicant!! No wonder you got in! Congrats again! And thanks for the info!

Woah you’re a super strong applicant!! No wonder you got in! Congrats again! And thanks for the info!

Aw thanks! My ECs are weak in comparison so I was worried. I’m rooting for you!