2022-2023 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got out of the RFU interview today and here’s some interesting things the adcom said:
1. They’re giving out max 750 interviews
2. The class size is expanded to 199 students (from 194 last year)
3. We should expect to hear back in 6 weeks :)

Hope this helps for anyone else as neurotic as I am!

Reactions: 5 users
For reference, MSAR shows previously there were 1021 interviews given (707 OOS, 314 IS)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Just got out of the RFU interview today and here’s some interesting things the adcom said:
1. They’re giving out max 750 interviews
2. The class size is expanded to 199 students (from 194 last year)
3. We should expect to hear back in 6 weeks :)

Hope this helps for anyone else as neurotic as I am!
Yeah, it was really nice to hear that given they're one of the few schools who reject post II and are selective about who to WL. Could mean that people on the alternate list have an even stronger chance of an A this year than previous years since they can presumably give out more A's in a smaller post II pool.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been rejected who applied early August? I was complete by 8/10 so I expect I should hear something soon.

complete 8/3 and still waiting for an update. Is there any idea of how they decide what order to review applications in? does this likely mean mine hasn’t even been looked at?

Members don't see this ad :)
complete 8/3 and still waiting for an update. Is there any idea of how they decide what order to review applications in? does this likely mean mine hasn’t even been looked at?
If they're going chronologically, it looks like they're in late July. My file was complete 8/2 and I haven't heard a thing either. Maintaining my optimism.

pre-interview R, complete 8/3. good luck to everyone else that's still in the running!

For those who interviewed, is it solely an MMI? I know there’s a few presentations about the school but we’re there any personal questions about yourself or soley mmi?

Does anyone who previously interviewed at CMS have any tips for interview day?? I know it's all MMI, so there is only so much preparation that can be done, but I want to know how to best prepare.

Does anyone who previously interviewed at CMS have any tips for interview day?? I know it's all MMI, so there is only so much preparation that can be done, but I want to know how to best prepare.
The MMI prompts are generally less stressful than what you'll find on the internet. We can't say much because attending interview day is pretty much an NDA in and of itself and the adcoms do browse our SDN threads. The most I did was watch videos and practice and I think it prepared me pretty well.

Pre-II R today :,(
hope you get to do something you enjoy today
Sending Love GIF

• Care
II today. Submitted 8/1 OOS
Earliest available date was 11/28

Would you guys say that this school’s match list is strong? Especially for surgical sub specialties?

Would you guys say that this school’s match list is strong? Especially for surgical sub specialties?
So many factors go into a school's match list, but I would certainly argue that CMS's is very strong when you factor in our average/median stats.

At the end of the day, your ERAS application and subsequent path are what you make of it. The Class of 2026 has 194 students (I think), and we plan on adding five more spots every subsequent year. This means many students here work hard and ultimately become competitive ERAS applicants. CMS has a phenomenal curriculum, and the faculty here do their best to present opportunities to the students. Our curriculum has a heavy NBME influence, excellent on-campus research/affiliate programs, and many opportunities to gain clinical exposure.

Whether our strong match list is a reflection of our large class size (quantity) or our curriculum (quality) or some other factor is up for debate, but the fact is that we have a strong list. We also aren't centered on primary care, so a decent number of students go on to surgery and its sub-specialties. However, as with most other schools, most students will end up in primary care.

Now, we aren't Ivy League like Harvard or Yale. We aren't top-tier like NYU or UChicago. If I had to guess, our match list is comparable to schools similar to Rush, University of Connecticut, UVermont, etc. (middle-tier schools). Many often categorize CMS as a "low tier" school because we have low median stats (around 3.6/510). We have low stats because we're a school of opportunity. Many of us received our only A from Rosalind Franklin. Many of us come from nontraditional and disadvantaged backgrounds.

tl;dr Yes, our match list is pretty strong. It's not Ivy League strong, but it's comparable to many big-name schools or state universities. What ultimately decides your residency spot is you, not the school. If you want something enough, you can make it happen.

You be the judge: Match Lists

Edit: It's similar to asking "Does undergraduate institution matter to medical school?" It matters because certain institutions will present you with more opportunities than others. Certain institutions have higher-achieving students than others. Certain institutions have more resources to help their students. At the end of the day, your outcome is determined by what you do, how hard you work, and your aspirations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R today. first one of the cycle. time to delete their email and name off my spreadsheet. 😂

• Care
Does RFU accepts updates? If so how can we send?

Status update email today to know that I have been waitlisted 🤠 Interviewed 10/18 and IS

Does not look like they accept any updates. I found this under FAQs on their website. "Can I send in updates to my application? Unfortunately, we cannot accept any additional information or materials unless it includes Institutional Action, Felony, Misdemeanor or Military Discharge explanations. Any additional information or materials will be discarded."

We don't accept updates unless they involve IAs, misdemeanors, felonies, military discharge, etc. We have a ton of applicants and a very small admissions office.

FIRST MD A (IS)!!!! I interviewed 10/11 :) As a 2021 cycle reapplicant and someone with a 3.0sgpa I didn't think MD schools would give me any love this cycle but I was very wrong. All things work out in the end!!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
A as well!!:giggle: OOS and interviewed mid october, LM 68. Really loved the effort CMS put into our interview days and loved a lot about the school too so I could not be happier

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For the alternate list, to accept it do we just check confirm in the item from the task list? I received the update on my phone and checked the box on the mobile site so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. (Also there's a green check for that item when I look at the task list in RFUConnect now). Congrats to everyone who got an A btw! I'm trying to get like you lol

Did anyone else get a text to send in my secondary? I never got around to finishing it but was just curious if it was even worth it do so and if anyone else got that?

Did anyone else get a text to send in my secondary? I never got around to finishing it but was just curious if it was even worth it do so and if anyone else got that?
I have applied here and think its a great school, but in my opinion, this school markets heavily. I remember when I was thinking about MS programs I got at least 4 letters encouraging me to apply. Seemed promotional