2021-2022 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when March Interviewees are supposed to here back?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students at Hackensack would like to PM? Having a tough time making a decision after they distributed scholarships lol

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone not heard anything about financial aid either merit or need-based? It's been radio silence for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what email the admissions committee sent the SOMA login credentials in? Their latest email says they're having trouble sending out awards but you can log in to see your award by using the credentials that the admissions committee sent but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Would any current students be able to comment on the support for students wanting to match Dermatology? I saw the match list and no one matched Derm this year. I was wondering if that was because they didn't match or because there wasn't interest in the specialty. I received a scholarship but am very strongly interested in Dermatology

Last edited:
Would any current students be able to comment on the support for students wanting to match Dermatology? I saw the match list and no one matched Derm this year. I was wondering if that was because they didn't match or because there wasn't interest in the specialty. I received a scholarship but am very strongly interested in Dermatology
If you want something very competitive your best shot is to go to a better school. I know thats not a very helpful comment but its the truth of the situation.

If you want derm from hackensack you will need to take a research year and then try your luck in the match.

You can pm me if you have specific questions.

Does anybody know how to withdraw..can’t seem to find it on the portal thing

Does anybody know how to withdraw..can’t seem to find it on the portal thing
For most schools, an e-mail to the admissions office will do the trick. Especially if there is no obvious place to do it on the portal, but even if there is.

Letting them know is the right thing to do, but most schools will drop you after 5/2 if you haven't selected them as PTE, so you honestly don't really have to do anything.

Where’d you find the match list?

If you want something very competitive your best shot is to go to a better school. I know thats not a very helpful comment but its the truth of the situation.

If you want derm from hackensack you will need to take a research year and then try your luck in the match.

You can pm me if you have specific questions.
That's such a discouraging and negative message. Just yesterday we spoke with a student from Hackensack who got into Ortho at Mayo, and she didn't decide it until the end of her 3rd year.

Anything is possible at any school. I have seen MANY Caribbean students matching with Derm, and supposedly that is the lower tier of Medical Schools.

As long as you have a well defined plan and dedication, any school will get you into Derm.

That's such a discouraging and negative message. Just yesterday we spoke with a student from Hackensack who got into Ortho at Mayo, and she didn't decide it until the end of her 3rd year.

Anything is possible at any school. I have seen MANY Caribbean students matching with Derm, and supposedly that is the lower tier of Medical Schools.

As long as you have a well defined plan and dedication, any school will get you into Derm.
OTOH, derm isn't ortho, and Hackensack might have more resources for ortho. I agree that it's crazy to make a big decision like this based on possibilities (probabilities) for one highly competitive specialty, because the odds are very high that things will change, for many of us, in the next 3 years.

Also, define MANY with respect to Caribbean students matching derm. I'd find it absolutely shocking to learn that, as a whole, Caribbean students do well matching into competitive specialties, ahead of DO students, who do not do especially well with them. Outliers are one thing, and they exist anywhere. MANY is something else!

OTOH, derm isn't ortho, and Hackensack might have more resources for ortho. I agree that it's crazy to make a big decision like this based on possibilities (probabilities) for one highly competitive specialty, because the odds are very high that things will change, for many of us, in the next 3 years.

Also, define MANY with respect to Caribbean students matching derm. I'd find it absolutely shocking to learn that, as a whole, Caribbean students do well matching into competitive specialties, ahead of DO students, who do not do especially well with them. Outliers are one thing, and they exist anywhere. MANY is something else!
Are you kidding me?? If anything Ortho is harder to match into. Plenty of ranks will tell you the same.

As for the Caribbean med students and all, just check NJ derm programs' residents.

Are you kidding me?? If anything Ortho is harder to match into. Plenty of ranks will tell you the same.

As for the Caribbean med students and all, just check NJ derm programs' residents.
Ortho harder to match into than derm? Have any sources to back that up? Match rates and step scores say otherwise so genuinely curious what other measure there is.

Ortho harder to match into than derm? Have any sources to back that up? Match rates and step scores say otherwise so genuinely curious what other measure there is.
I wasn't affirming that Ortho was more competitive than Derm. I was just making a point that there isn't much of a difference between the two as suggested by KnightDoc. Nevertheless, there goes a few links (30 sec google search) agreeing with what I just said:

matching into derm is insanely difficult *period* now that step scores as pass/fail, increased weight will be placed into a medical school's ranking. Hackensack Meridian is unranked. if I wanted to do dermatology, I would go to more established school.

ultimately, if you are serious about derm, I would prioritize going to a higher ranked school (even if that means spending more money) to increase your likelihood of matching. As a dermatologist, you will make far more than most other physician specialties; paying back student loans will be a walk in the park.

Last edited:

With respect to ortho vs. derm, it's not about easy or hard if they have a home program in ortho and not derm. Do they?

By the way, sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to imply that either was more difficult than the other. I was just saying that if Hackensack had better resources in one than the other, that could possibly explain why one can be matched with no pre-planning while the other could require an additional research year. Nothing more.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about checking NJ derm residents? Just how many people are you talking about? And how many programs? Divided by how many Caribbean graduates? Are you really saying the Caribbean is a reasonable option for people who want to match derm, because a handful of them, out of literally thousands, were successful in NJ?

Last edited:
  • Hmm

Thats a very different situation for several reasons I wont elaborate on.

You are welcome to form any conclusion you wish, but I do not believe that students should enter Hackensack believing they will land top tier programs. I prefer not to speak on specifics, but I would advise applicants that, even with a good application, you will not interview at top programs like you would at a more established school.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Thats a very different situation for several reasons I wont elaborate on.

You are welcome to form any conclusion you wish, but I do not believe that students should enter Hackensack believing they will land top tier programs. I prefer not to speak on specifics, but I would advise applicants that, even with a good application, you will not interview at top programs like you would at a more established school.
Just curious, and would love to get your perspective as an "insider." Hackensack seems to have changed its approach to recruiting, and now seems to be throwing a lot of money at certain applicants as opposed to what was reported in the past, namely, using the money to try to poach people away from other schools AFTER they turned Hackensack down.

Do you happen to have an opinion on whether or not this will cause Hackensack's match list 4 years from now to look far different from the way it looks now, given your previous comment that matches are largely determined by student effort and talent? Or do you think the resources and reputation are just not there, and that the people wanting something competitive and going for the money are really chasing fool's gold?

Just curious, and would love to get your perspective as an "insider." Hackensack seems to have changed its approach to recruiting, and now seems to be throwing a lot of money at certain applicants as opposed to what was reported in the past, namely, using the money to try to poach people away from other schools AFTER they turned Hackensack down.

Do you happen to have an opinion on whether or not this will cause Hackensack's match list 4 years from now to look far different from the way it looks now, given your previous comment that matches are largely determined by student effort and talent? Or do you think the resources and reputation are just not there, and that the people wanting something competitive and going for the money are really chasing fool's gold?

I would say this is a big caveat for what I posted before. The inaugural class' match list will definitely be the "worst" match. Next years match will be even better, and the one afterwards will be better than that.

So your match 5 years from now might have several columbia IM matches for instance. I don't know anything about the school's recruiting process. That being said, I think its moreso that Columbia/Cornell/NYU will feel more comfortable taking our students.

Last edited:
  • Love

It will probably make the list better over time since I'd assume they are throwing the money at better applicants but I don't know that for sure. I'd expect the match list to continue to improve year over year with the larger classes but keep the match list in the context of the 3-year program which is one of the appeals of the school.

I'd agree with the sentiment that if you want a competitive specialty for medical school, you are probably served better elsewhere if given a choice. That's mainly because our school doesn't have the rep, nor has a residency program for many competitive specialties. It's not impossible to match a competitive specialty, just harder here depending on which specialty you are interested in.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Emailed to withdraw my acceptance. I thought this was a good school but not the best fit for me. Good luck everyone!! 🍀

Reactions: 3 users
I assume all IIs have gone out? this is my last pre-II school to hear from, just want to mentally finalize my list

WL just now. Interviewed in mid March

• Care
Anyone else radio silence? This is my last school pending a decision since submitting

Reactions: 4 users
There has been slow movement in the GroupMe chat. Some people leaving and others entering.

Does anybody know when they start looking at WL. Last yr the first reported A off WL was in June.