2020 applicant WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PenguinPal506

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've posted here before but I've just received my gre scores and am a little discouraged and worried so any advice will really help!

I am applying to the upcoming cycle 2019-2020. I graduated this Dec (2018) and am currently studying for the GRE and planning on taking it in april.

I am mostly concerned about experience and GRE scores. I'm not sure if i have enough experience. I am planning on shadowing another doctor for a day but i still feel as if that is not enough. I am open to any suggestions!

I would like to go to school in the northeast area, (i am from new york), so i am mainly aiming to apply to Cornell, Tufts, NC, Ohio, etc. I am also open to Caribbean school and Canada. so any advice on how to get into those schools/what they look for most would help!

GPA cumulative: 3.51

Science GPA: 3.09

Last 45: 3.83

GRE: Verbal 145, Quant 147

Vet experience:

~500 hours working as a veterinary assistant

~200 hours working as a veterinary receptionist

Research:

~150 hours of research at my university

Animal Experience

~200 hours of working with horses

Other:

-1 semesters as a teaching assistant for organic chemistry

- Deans list since 2017

-~150 hours working in retail and customer service

-participation in organizations and drives such as conducting a prom dress drive and book drive.

- Interests in photography and calligraphy.

LOR:

- Veterinary that i have worked with

-professor from organic chemistry class

-professor i did research with

Im just wondering what I should do Bout my gre? will it greatly affect my chances of getting into vet school? I am planning taking it again but Im not a good standardized test taker to begin with so im not sure if my gre score will improve much.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and help a fellow Prevet out!

Members don't see this ad.

Good news is there ARE some schools who don’t even look at your GRE score. Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan state are three that I know don’t look at them. Michigan state also doesn’t care about gpa beyond it being above a 3.0. So your high last 45 won’t help you at MSU, but your lower science gpa or gre won’t hurt you either. Since you say you’re not a great standardized test taker, I would definitely look into schools that don’t require the GRE.

As for the schools you mentioned, Cornell seems to like people with high verbal GRE scores (along with gpa) but being in state gives you a tiny bit of a leg up since it’s a smaller pool than if you were OOS. I know NCSU requires a minimum of 3.4 for OOS students in all GPA categories (cumulative, prereq, and last 45). Definitely look at the minimum requirements and accepted student averages for any schools you’re considering to see if your numbers seem at or above their averages.

Reactions: 1 user