2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
avatar3619 is right, sorry I didn't clarify but they are all federal loans, the financial aid adviser said graduate students don't get grants and when I asked about scholarships she encouraged me to apply but admitted she has never had a student come into the program with any scholarships as of yet. I've been applying anyways but haven't heard any good news on scholarships.
It's all good! I kind of knew it was too good to be true.

Members don't see this ad.

I found an apartment 5 mins away from school via Craigslist. Most of them via agency require you to view them but a lot of the ones on CL doesn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Feeling quite discouraged given that my application has been “in final review” since January 21st and haven’t received any status update since then. Reached out by email without response yet. Accepted a seat in a different program at this point but would like some answers. May try another method to contact someone in admissions

I am in the same boat as you. Final review since 3/4 and it looks like people who were in final review after me have gotten their acceptance. Starting to get really anxious now. The waiting process is definitely the worst!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Raindrop Cake Hi! can you give us a little info as to how the classes are like? I'm especially worried about biochem and anatomy for the first semester lol. Thanks :)

I am in the same boat as you. Final review since 3/4 and it looks like people who were in final review after me have gotten their acceptance. Starting to get really anxious now. The waiting process is definitely the worst!

Don't loose hope! I believe one user 2 years ago didn't heart back till like June.

Yes of course!

Generally classes are PowerPoint-based unless we're doing a project or have a guest speaker. PowerPoints are always posted online beforehand, so you can predownload them and type/write notes on them during class if you find that helpful. Most of us take notes on our laptops, but I think a few also print out each lecture and take notes by hand.

A lot of lectures are recycled directly from the med program, but our professors are usually good about pointing out what material to memorize or focus on for exams (which is good because sometimes the PowerPoints are so wordy they look like entire textbook chapters). Professors encourage questions and always seem happy to stop and answer them at any point.

I'd say anatomy was the toughest course for a lot of us last semester just because of the amount of content professors had to cover, but it's definitely doable -- just take your time with studying and give yourself plenty of time to prepare for exams. It's one of the classes where you should definitely pay attention to what the professors identify as important so that you know exactly where to focus your studying. We had four or so professors throughout the semester, so for different topics you'll have a different person teaching you.

Biochem is a lot more clinically based than in undergrad, so it'll be different from anything you took in college. I felt it focused more on concepts relevant to medicine and less on pointless memorization... for example, learning about the molecular pathway associated with a particular disease rather than memorizing the structure of the third molecule in the Krebs cycle or something. Our main biochem professor was an incredibly caring person and always gave us study guides and answered emails quickly outside of class.

Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it. I’m almost debating about pre studying for anatomy and overlook certain things for biochem to brush up cause those two topics can be intense and I feel like I’m one of those people that needs a little more TLC cause I’ve been out of school for a while.

For those who have paid the deposit, did you get an email verification of payment? I just paid mine this morning. Thanks.

For those who have paid the deposit, did you get an email verification of payment? I just paid mine this morning. Thanks.

I didn't, but I made the lady who took the transaction emailed me a receipt and she did.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe call. Hopefully they can help!
I did reach out, and they said that the application is still in review by the final admissions committee. Even though that’s what the email said with a two week deadline back in January. I’ve already accepted a seat in another program closer to home and also still waiting to hear back from another medical school that I interviewed at so good luck to everyone waiting !

I did reach out, and they said that the application is still in review by the final admissions committee. Even though that’s what the email said with a two week deadline back in January. I’ve already accepted a seat in another program closer to home and also still waiting to hear back from another medical school that I interviewed at so good luck to everyone waiting !
I'm glad you were able to get accepted in a program closer to your house. Congrats on that. Best of luck with your other endeavors! :)

Any recent updates here? I’ve been on final review quite some time but really hoping for this program

Any recent updates here? I’ve been on final review quite some time but really hoping for this program
I was in final review for about 3 months, got accepted today but I don’t think I will be accepting the offer

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to say good luck to everyone still is waiting to hear an answer! I have been lurking and watching the posts as I anxiously await my final review and decision.

Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it. I’m almost debating about pre studying for anatomy and overlook certain things for biochem to brush up cause those two topics can be intense and I feel like I’m one of those people that needs a little more TLC cause I’ve been out of school for a while.

You can study before coming into this program if you really want to, but I would honestly just enjoy the time off while you can. You will be studying daily once the program starts anyways. Plus, you may end up studying material that you won't need to know for these courses. Just my two cents...but ultimately you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I received my letter of acceptance yesterday via email! My application was under final review as of 1/28. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting for admission! Also, I’m looking for a roommate.

Reactions: 3 users
How long after the acceptance email did it take everyone to get the information from bluefield on confirming your seat? It’s been a few days and I still haven’t received anything

How long after the acceptance email did it take everyone to get the information from bluefield on confirming your seat? It’s been a few days and I still haven’t received anything
I got accepted February 14 and my letter did not arrive until March 19, so it can take a month or so.

My landlord just dropped off my lease renewal that needs to be turned in by the end of April. I’m still waiting for a response from the school. Anxiety is building. Eek!

Ok, so I'm a ******* and some how completely missed place the pre-matriculation check list / requirements. If someone could kindly please list them and the required date that would be awesome :) please thank you!

Hey ya’ll, those who have already gone through the program, based on your experience, which lap top would you guys recommend we new starters purchase?

Honestly, the requirements listed on there are good guidelines. It doesn't HAVE to be less than 3 years old as stated on the website as I know plenty of fellow classmates who use older models (especially Mac users).

The main reason they have requirements is to ensure that your computer can run the exam software they use since all of the testing is done on your laptop. You can look around on the ExamSoft (Examplify) website to see if your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy, although a fair portion of the class has laptops with the Windows Ink feature or they utilize Ipads with pens to write notes on the slides during class. You can also just stick to the classic way of typing notes in the notes section of the power point or printing off slides and handwriting notes.

Also, as a side note, don't worry about purchasing Word, PowerPoint etc as it comes included in your tuition fee through Bluefield.

Honestly, the requirements listed on there are good guidelines. It doesn't HAVE to be less than 3 years old as stated on the website as I know plenty of fellow classmates who use older models (especially Mac users).

The main reason they have requirements is to ensure that your computer can run the exam software they use since all of the testing is done on your laptop. You can look around on the ExamSoft (Examplify) website to see if your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software. Other than that, you don't need anything fancy, although a fair portion of the class has laptops with the Windows Ink feature or they utilize Ipads with pens to write notes on the slides during class. You can also just stick to the classic way of typing notes in the notes section of the power point or printing off slides and handwriting notes.

Also, as a side note, don't worry about purchasing Word, PowerPoint etc as it comes included in your tuition fee through Bluefield.

grrrrr I just bought office for my windows cause I was worried about my 7 years old mac giving me issues.

grrrrr I just bought office for my windows cause I was worried about my 7 years old mac giving me issues.
Well, I am not sure if the Bluefield access gets revoked after the academic year is over sooooo it won't hurt to have it as a backup for the future :p

For people that have been accepted already, I have already paid the deposit and done the background check paperwork and I still have not heard anything. Has anyone received any information about when classes start, next steps, or just a confirmation email?

For people that have been accepted already, I have already paid the deposit and done the background check paperwork and I still have not heard anything. Has anyone received any information about when classes start, next steps, or just a confirmation email?
I’ve done the same and have heard nothing. All I know is that classes start July 22. I’m sure more info will be sent out within the next month or so...

Recently received my log in info but there’s nothing on there yet. Hoping we get some info on everything soon!

Just received a notice that my application has entered the review stage. They estimate to have a decision in two weeks. ZOMG so nervous. I really think this program could be beneficial for me, even without the linkage.

The cycle is dark and full of terrors.

Just received a notice that my application has entered the review stage. They estimate to have a decision in two weeks. ZOMG so nervous. I really think this program could be beneficial for me, even without the linkage.

The cycle is dark and full of terrors.
Good luck! Don’t rely on the 2 weeks too much... it took mine almost 4. I was stressed out those weeks lol.

I just got notice that I have been waitlisted. I've been in final review since 4/8 for those curious. Does anyone have information on waitlist mobility or if there's anything I can do? I was really hoping to attend this program :(

• Sad
I just got notice that I have been waitlisted. I've been in final review since 4/8 for those curious. Does anyone have information on waitlist mobility or if there's anything I can do? I was really hoping to attend this program :(
Well I was recently accepted but I am attending another program closer to home, so I hope you get my seat!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I am new to this thread but was recently also accepted into the program for this August. Could someone please attach the facebook group link? I’m having trouble finding it.

Thanks! And look forward to meeting you all.

It
Hi, I am new to this thread but was recently also accepted into the program for this August. Could someone please attach the facebook group link? I’m having trouble finding it.

Thanks! And look forward to meeting you all.
it’s called “2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program”

This may be a stupid question, but I don't believe I have seen it yet. I got an email a couple weeks ago that my application was being moved to the review queue and they would notify me again once it was sent to final review. I was just wondering if those emails are the only way to know anything about your status, or if Bluefield had some other login to check application status as PostBacCAS just says that my app was submitted.

This may be a stupid question, but I don't believe I have seen it yet. I got an email a couple weeks ago that my application was being moved to the review queue and they would notify me again once it was sent to final review. I was just wondering if those emails are the only way to know anything about your status, or if Bluefield had some other login to check application status as PostBacCAS just says that my app was submitted.

I first applied DO them transverse that over to the SMP. If you are in the same situation then yes, email only. But, I believe that if you applied directly to the SMP then you have portal access at some point. I seem to recall seeing posts from people here indicating that.

Also, for current time keepers: it too 3 weeks for me to go from processing to review. Tomorrow (wed) will make one week I’ve been in review. Their email indicated up to two weeks for a decision. I am not optimistic but I shall try to keep my spirits high.

After all, Winter is here...and I’ve got something else to look forward to on weekends.

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks fam.
I first applied DO them transverse that over to the SMP. If you are in the same situation then yes, email only. But, I believe that if you applied directly to the SMP then you have portal access at some point. I seem to recall seeing posts from people here indicating that.

Also, for current time keepers: it too 3 weeks for me to go from processing to review. Tomorrow (wed) will make one week I’ve been in review. Their email indicated up to two weeks for a decision. I am not optimistic but I shall try to keep my spirits high.

After all, Winter is here...and I’ve got something else to look forward to on weekends.

You get a BC login after you've been accepted. Good luck!

I am withdrawing my acceptance, does anyone know who I should contact ?

I applied directly to the SMP, but my current portal only shows that the application was received. I will continue to monitor that site, as I know I have not yet received any further email correspondence. Thanks!

I applied directly to the SMP, but my current portal only shows that the application was received. I will continue to monitor that site, as I know I have not yet received any further email correspondence. Thanks!

I applied directly to the SMP and the only correspondence I got was through email!

Hey guys! My application went to final review on 03/04 and I got my acceptance yesterday. So it took almost 2 months to receieve a decision! Just thought some of the people still waiting to hear back would be interested in the timeline

Does anybody that has been accepted mind sharing their stats? I am applying to this program next year and I'm just trying to see what I can do to better my application before then.

I applied directly to the SMP and the only correspondence I got was through email!

Good to know! I wasn't sure after reading some of the others people's messages on this thread since it almost sounded like maybe there was a way to check status aside from emails! Here's to continued anxiety as I wait for more email correspondence!

I have seen a lot of people saying the time it took to get a decision after they were notified that they were in final review, but does anyone remember the timeframe it took to get to final review after they got the email saying all components of the application were received and their application was being sent to the the Review Committee Queue?

I have seen a lot of people saying the time it took to get a decision after they were notified that they were in final review, but does anyone remember the timeframe it took to get to final review after they got the email saying all components of the application were received and their application was being sent to the the Review Committee Queue?

That took about two weeks for me...but YMMV. I applied a month after app opened so I don't know if that affected anything.

Does anyone have the academic calendar handy? When the program starts, orientation, breaks, etc

Does anyone have the academic calendar handy? When the program starts, orientation, breaks, etc

Not yet. The MABS website was supposed to be updated but their link is broken. I tried letting them know but they never got back to me.

hey everyone! they fixed the academic calendar link and now it downloads a word document for you.

I have a question about the FAFSA - did y'all have to fill out the parents' portion of it? I'm trying to get it done ASAP, but my financial advisor hasn't replied yet.

hey everyone! they fixed the academic calendar link and now it downloads a word document for you.

I have a question about the FAFSA - did y'all have to fill out the parents' portion of it? I'm trying to get it done ASAP, but my financial advisor hasn't replied yet.

It probably depends on your age. When I went back to school I had been 100% independent for 2.5 years, working full time, paying bills, bought a car, etc., but because at that time I was still under 25, they said I had to have my parents fill out their portion. Now that I am older, I do not need to do that anymore even though now I am living under their roof and making minimum wage while finishing up schooling.

You can always talk to the FAFSA staff if you need to know for sure.

It probably depends on your age. When I went back to school I had been 100% independent for 2.5 years, working full time, paying bills, bought a car, etc., but because at that time I was still under 25, they said I had to have my parents fill out their portion. Now that I am older, I do not need to do that anymore even though now I am living under their roof and making minimum wage while finishing up schooling.

You can always talk to the FAFSA staff if you need to know for sure.

thanks! I did talk to the FAFSA staff and she said that I didn't need to include parental information since they (Bluefield) don't offer institutional aid for the program - it's strictly student loans.

also, if anyone has any questions about Blacksburg, feel free to ask me both here or in PM! I've lived here for about 6 years, so I know the area well enough.

Reactions: 1 users