2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How strict are they when it comes to business casual?
Pretty strict. Boys have to wear shirts with collars. Just make sure you put a little effort into your appearance and you'll be fine. There have been instances where admin will let you dress down on test days if you donate money to a local cause, but only when the days and the charities are approved.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty strict. Boys have to wear shirts with collars. Just make sure you put a little effort into your appearance and you'll be fine. There have been instances where admin will let you dress down on test days if you donate money to a local cause, but only when the days and the charities are approved.

Hmmm I ask cause there's lot of variation when it comes to business casual.

Hi, would it be too late to apply at this point? My GPA is 3.49 and MCAT of 513.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, would it be too late to apply at this point? My GPA is 3.49 and MCAT of 513.

With an mcat and that gpa, why not apply for the regular cycle...?

I love the idea and mission of vcom but with those stats, I think you’re better off with the regular cycle, unless you have some odd red flags.

With an mcat and that gpa, why not apply for the regular cycle...?

I love the idea and mission of vcom but with those stats, I think you’re better off with the regular cycle, unless you have some odd red flags.
I am a current applicant. I thought I would be fine too but I haven't even gotten a secondary from them... I still could get in this cycle to another school but I want to cover my bases and I really like the program here.

Hey, those that have been accepted. Anyone want create the FB page for this year's class? Also, there is a site for the accepted students MABS – Accepted Student Information | Bluefield College. I have completed the necessary medical paperwork and tests. I messaged admission and she said I could send her my documents. I share this so those that have been accepted can think about getting ahead with this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey, those that have been accepted. Anyone want create the FB page for this year's class? Also, there is a site for the accepted students MABS – Accepted Student Information | Bluefield College. I have completed the necessary medical paperwork and tests. I messaged admission and she said I could send her my documents. I share this so those that have been accepted can think about getting ahead with this process.

Yeah I wasn't sure how they go about with the facebook situation. I guess some school have upper classman do it and monitor it. Maybe upperclassman can chime in on that?

I saw the accepted info too but that was for last year so I wasn't sure if it would still apply for this year...I'm stressing out about how to transfer my insurance situation. May have to class my servicer.

Hey guys! I got accepted today into the MABS program. My app was in final review since January 21, so it took a little over 3 weeks. Here is some info about me and what is on my application:

-I am from Louisiana and graduate in May with my BS in Toxicology
-Cumulative GPA: 3.51-- upward trend of semester GPAs
-sGPA: 3.28 (retook Organic 2--made a D and then an A, had some C's.. so my grades are by far not perfect, obviously)
-BCPM: 3.32
-Minors in Spanish and Biology
-Officer in a Toxicology Honor Society
-Member of a Spanish honor society
-Studied abroad in Costa Rica for two weeks
-PreMed Committee letter of rec
-ER volunteer for around 1.5 years (did NOT have direct patient care, but I did interact with patients, just did not take vital or anything along those lines)
-Letter of Rec from a MD
-Shadowed MD and DO equally---> around 80 shadowing hours total

Hey guys! I got accepted today into the MABS program. My app was in final review since January 21, so it took a little over 3 weeks. Here is some info about me and what is on my application:

-sGPA: 3.28 (retook Organic 2--made a D and then an A, had some C's.. so my grades are by far not perfect, obviously)
-ER volunteer for around 1.5 years (did NOT have direct patient care, but I did interact with patients, just did not take vital or anything along those lines)
-Letter of Rec from a MD

Congrats, welcome!

-Letter of Rec from a MD

Congratulations! When was your app complete and verified?

Do you 10000% need a LOR from a professor to be processed? I have not submitted because I wont be able to receive one till March

Last edited:
Do you 10000% need a LOR from a professor to be processed? I have not submitted because I wont be able to receive one till March
From experience with portals like PostBacCAS, you must at least give them the number of letters required. Say you submit two non-professor letters. Your application will be processed. However, it would be a good idea to then let admissions know you will be submitting a professor letter in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! When was your app complete and verified?
Thank you! I submitted my application around Christmas, so it was not processed until the committee returned from break. My app was complete January 7. I'm not sure when it was verified. It went into final review January 21 and then I received offer of admission February 14.

Thank you! I submitted my application around Christmas, so it was not processed until the committee returned from break. My app was complete January 7. I'm not sure when it was verified. It went into final review January 21 and then I received offer of admission February 14.
Nice! Mine was complete January 2nd and also was placed in final review on the 21st but still waiting. Getting anxious !

Nice! Mine was complete January 2nd and also was placed in final review on the 21st but still waiting. Getting anxious !
Best of luck!! Keep faith, what is meant to be will happen. I had to keep telling myself that to keep my sanity. Hopefully you will hear something soon to ease your anxiety.

Reactions: 1 users
Those waiting -- do you mind sharing your stats?

Last edited:
I think all of us has shared our stats a couple of pages ago if you wanna check it out.

Who has been accepted so far? Like this comment please. I'm wondering how many people have been accepted so far, or at least the people who check this forum that have been accepted.

Reactions: 4 users

-Graduated early with 3.78 GPA
-Science GPA 3.8
-MCAT 495
-minors in chemistry and psychology
-First generation college student
-I’ve been working as a medical scribe in the ER for 2 years
Worked/Shadowed in pain management clinic for 3 summers close to 500 hours total[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Has a Facebook group been made yet? I can make it if not, just let me know. Just name it 2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program?.. or something along those lines?

Has a Facebook group been made yet? I can make it if not, just let me know. Just name it 2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program?.. or something along those lines?

You should totally make one :)

Okay I will make it! If you have been accepted, can you please message me your email and/or name so I can add you to the group? I need at least one person to add to the group for it to be created. Thanks!

Okay I will make it! If you have been accepted, can you please message me your email and/or name so I can add you to the group? I need at least one person to add to the group for it to be created. Thanks!
Still waiting to be accepted! But when I do I will be willing to join!

Sure!
Biochem major
GPA 3.9 overall and science
MCAT 498
~1000 hours research
Volunteering with foster kids
100 hours in ER
Volunteer for STEM presentations in community
Shadowed 4 physicians (1 DO)

Sure!
Biochem major
GPA 3.9 overall and science
MCAT 498
~1000 hours research
Volunteering with foster kids
100 hours in ER
Volunteer for STEM presentations in community
Shadowed 4 physicians (1 DO)
Nice! When was your application complete ?

Nice! When was your application complete ?
I was complete on Feb 6th and haven’t heard anything since then. Hoping to get in as I don’t have any other acceptances right now (didn’t apply to normal DO cycle)

Hey, what is the name of the group? For some reason I cannot message you.

Ok the group has been created. I had to add someone, besides myself, for it to be created...so I added my mom. I'll remove her once someone else joins lol.

The title is: 2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program.

Please only request to be in it if you have been accepted. Best of luck to all applicants!!

Ok the group has been created. I had to add someone, besides myself, for it to be created...so I added my mom. I'll remove her once someone else joins lol.

The title is: 2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program.

Please only request to be in it if you have been accepted. Best of luck to all applicants!!

Hey! I just request to join the group, lol.

Those who have received acceptance, did you have to pay the deposit immediately?

Those who have received acceptance, did you have to pay the deposit immediately?
No, I was accepted on 2/14 and have received no follow up email regarding a deposit or anything.

Does this program require any textbooks? I have not found a list on the "accepted student" page of the website.

No, I was accepted on 2/14 and have received no follow up email regarding a deposit or anything.

Same! No follow-up yet.

Does this program require any textbooks? I have not found a list on the "accepted student" page of the website.

Past student stated they didn't really use it. I might not buy it unless I needed it. I don't well passive reading.

Hey guys, just got the email for the bluefield portal. Gonna log in after work. Will let u guys know!

So I played around the site quickly but I can’t find the place where we pay the deposit or any much info.

My application moved into final review today (3/13). I was verified on 2/6, incase anyone is wondering the current timeline. Hoping to get an acceptance soon, they said about two weeks for a decision.

My application moved into final review today (3/13). I was verified on 2/6, incase anyone is wondering the current timeline. Hoping to get an acceptance soon, they said about two weeks for a decision.

I got that email on January 21 and still have not received a decision, so not sure how accurate they are with their timelines. good luck!

I got that email on January 21 and still have not received a decision, so not sure how accurate they are with their timelines. good luck!
Judging by others posts that doesn't surprise me. I feel like they got more applications this cycle than they anticipated. Seems like every medical school or med school affiliated program is just getting swamped with applications these days.

You guys are a head of the game though. Cause I think starting next month, that’s when things are gonna get real packed cause people are scrambling for something.

Reactions: 1 users
You guys are a head of the game though. Cause I think starting next month, that’s when things are gonna get real packed cause people are scrambling for something.
I am a bit scrambling now because I'm only on other waitlists right now. This was my back-up plan but it's looking like my best option right now instead of just a plain year off.

My app has been in final review since 12/19/2018, still waiting...

Ok, so I played around with the BC account and I literally can’t find anything relating to our program. If anyone can crack at it and find anything please update thanks! I know they just sent it out so I don’t wanna be neurotic and send them emails lol yet