Other 2018 DO Graduate looking for some advice on finding residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainObviousX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't speak for other specialties, but for FM, it seemed like a lot of programs cared more about the right "fit" and interest in the field rather than looking at scores alone. Some programs have a first pass requirement for the CS (and perhaps the CE), but there are others that don't.

There are hospitals that accept post-graduate externs to rotate through different departments. You could pay for a couple of these rotations to get yourself fresh LORs. Mission trips abroad are also another possibility. There are some trips that are run by faculty attached with residency programs. Volunteering at clinics would also look good if your intent is to apply to fm.

You've made it this far. With a little extra push, you will match. Don't give up. Good luck.

Last edited:
for FM, it seemed like a lot of programs cared more about the right "fit" and interest in the field rather than looking at scores alone
Yes I may just try focusing on FM
There are hospitals that accept post-graduate externs to rotate through different departments. You could pay for a couple of these rotations to get yourself fresh LORs
Is this the same as observership? or are there actually programs that allow you to interact with patients?
Mission trips abroad are also another possibility. There are some trips that are run by faculty attached with residency programs.
Yes this sounds like a great idea. If anyone knows of any good programs or contacts let me know ;)
Volunteering at clinics would also look good if your intent is to apply to fm.
Yes I would be interested in volunteering, but what kind of work would I be looking for? Is there a way to be involved with patient care as a volunteer, I imagine that would be most valuable? I just registered at covid19.ca.gov/healthcorps to volunteer if I become needed.
You've made it this far. With a little extra push, you will match. Don't give up. Good luck.
Thank you so much, I am very grateful for the advice and support! I feel like I still have a shot :)

I believe fresh LORs > Missions abroad > volunteering. Given that there is limited time before the next cycle opens up, I would focus my efforts on gaining fresh hands on clinical experience.

I've sent you a PM

Last edited: