Delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbj019

Reaction score
[delete]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is not a lot of advice out there geared towards high-stats applicants in terms of making a school list, as most just talks about looking at MCAT, GPA, OOS rates, location, mission. I am hoping to apply to about 25-30 schools and need help deciding on more mid-tier and regional schools to which I should apply.
The rules still apply on mission fit, location, and OOS rates. I think with your stats applying to more than 25 would become a waste of time.

Obviously you will have your pick as I would expect lots of attention coming to you, especially as a Rhodes finalist. Do your networking and make schools recruit you. You have earned the right to be critical.

In fact, having that critical eye will help you with your list. Let your mission be your lens.

So rules of peer schools: look at the athletic and academic conferences. Emory, WashU, NYU, Emory, UChicago, and Case are peer schools, for example. Dartmouth, Yale, and Cornell are also Ivys, but check if the Ivys like undergrad Ivy grads (since you are not). In my mind, Mayo, Kaiser, and Cleveland Clinic are similar because of their association with health systems. UCSD, UCSF, and UCLA are peers.

Work on the secondary essays now to shrink your list.

The rules still apply on mission fit, location, and OOS rates. I think with your stats applying to more than 25 would become a waste of time.

Obviously you will have your pick as I would expect lots of attention coming to you, especially as a Rhodes finalist. Do your networking and make schools recruit you. You have earned the right to be critical.

In fact, having that critical eye will help you with your list. Let your mission be your lens.

So rules of peer schools: look at the athletic and academic conferences. Emory, WashU, NYU, Emory, UChicago, and Case are peer schools, for example. Dartmouth, Yale, and Cornell are also Ivys, but check if the Ivys like undergrad Ivy grads (since you are not). In my mind, Mayo, Kaiser, and Cleveland Clinic are similar because of their association with health systems. UCSD, UCSF, and UCLA are peers.

Work on the secondary essays now to shrink your list.
Thank you for your reply, this was very insightful! Would you mind elaborating on outlets for networking to "make schools recruit you?" Does this include going to open houses, or do you suggest getting in contact with the admissions offices?

Additionally, would peer schools and conferences have any bearing to the school list beyond schools affiliated with my undergraduate institution?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually such a bonkers app for a 20 year old. You're killing it.

I'd cut Brown. You could honestly just add the rest of the T20s you like: Yale, Northwestern, Duke, UCLA. Add a couple more mid-tiers: maybe Rochester, Case, UVA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply, this was very insightful! Would you mind elaborating on outlets for networking to "make schools recruit you?" Does this include going to open houses, or do you suggest getting in contact with the admissions offices?

Additionally, would peer schools and conferences have any bearing to the school list beyond schools affiliated with my undergraduate institution?

Thanks for your help!
Read

Absolutely go to open houses or recruitment events. You need to see the type of student each school attracts and admits to determine whether this is the student culture you want to endure not just for 2 years of preclinical work. You will live around the med school campus for two years, and the opportunities they offer need to align with what you need to be in the strongest position for getting into your desired residency and location.

If it is your ultimate goal to practice in New Jersey, how will you describe this in your application so that you don't get overlooked by your in-state programs? They shouldn't be yield-protecting, but there may be some screeners that could believe you are using them as your safety school (again, which should not be happening but...).

I use the peer schools concept to help you fine tune your list, given that you have more discretion. You shouldn't be applying to 30 schools (for example). Remember, they like to compare to each other too.

More on your regional list for other schools: look at Geisinger/CMC, Jefferson (you got that one), Rochester, and Cooper/Rowan MD.

This is actually such a bonkers app for a 20 year old. You're killing it.

I'd cut Brown. You could honestly just add the rest of the T20s you like: Yale, Northwestern, Duke, UCLA. Add a couple more mid-tiers: maybe Rochester, Case, UVA.
Thanks for your reply! Why would you cut Brown in particular? Also, I definitely want to add some more mid-tiers but am having trouble narrowing it down to just about 5.

Read

Absolutely go to open houses or recruitment events. You need to see the type of student each school attracts and admits to determine whether this is the student culture you want to endure not just for 2 years of preclinical work. You will live around the med school campus for two years, and the opportunities they offer need to align with what you need to be in the strongest position for getting into your desired residency and location.

If it is your ultimate goal to practice in New Jersey, how will you describe this in your application so that you don't get overlooked by your in-state programs? They shouldn't be yield-protecting, but there may be some screeners that could believe you are using them as your safety school (again, which should not be happening but...).

I use the peer schools concept to help you fine tune your list, given that you have more discretion. You shouldn't be applying to 30 schools (for example). Remember, they like to compare to each other too.

More on your regional list for other schools: look at Geisinger/CMC, Jefferson (you got that one), Rochester, and Cooper/Rowan MD.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful, I will take many of the steps outlined in the link and I'm sure it'll make a big difference. Appreciate your help :))

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply! Why would you cut Brown in particular? Also, I definitely want to add some more mid-tiers but am having trouble narrowing it down to just about 5.
Low acceptance rate as far as mid-tiers go. The Ivy name from undergraduate admissions attracts people, which I think tends to inflate the number of apps and the perception of the school. I think you're better off choosing mid-tiers that are "safer" unless there's something in particular you love about Brown.