Another hospital closure affecting residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CajunMedic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who’s got 2 thumbs and gonna lose their job October 7th? THIS GUY!!!

Hospital’s been in financial trouble for some time. Our program is tied to USACS and the PD had already talked to the other USACS residency directors about spots for us in anticipation of possibly losing accreditation.

There’s 17 EM residents, 1 jumped ship for a PGY-2 spot at another program. 1 IM/EM in their final year and 20 IM residents.

In light of the Hahnemann residents, not sure of what kind of a time we’re going to have trying to find spots. We’re in WV, Equidistant from Pittsburgh and Columbus

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Who’s got 2 thumbs and gonna lose their job October 7th? THIS GUY!!!

Hospital’s been in financial trouble for some time. Our program is tied to USACS and the PD had already talked to the other USACS residency directors about spots for us in anticipation of possibly losing accreditation.

There’s 17 EM residents, 1 jumped ship for a PGY-2 spot at another program. 1 IM/EM in their final year and 20 IM residents.

In light of the Hahnemann residents, not sure of what kind of a time we’re going to have trying to find spots. We’re in WV, Equidistant from Pittsburgh and Columbus

My condolences. I went through this and it's super stressful not knowing what's in store. At least it sounds like USACS is trying to find spots for you guys.

How long did they know about the potential closure?

Members don't see this ad :)
My condolences. I went through this and it's super stressful not knowing what's in store. At least it sounds like USACS is trying to find spots for you guys.

How long did they know about the potential closure?

They had suspicions for a while. But they didn’t expect to close both, most of the rumors and conjecture was they were closing East Ohio only, since it was the smaller of the 2.

Very sorry to hear this. I am originally from the area and worked there for a bit ages ago.

When I heard that WVU entered into a management agreement with Wheeling Hospital a month or so ago I figured that might be the end for Ohio Valley. From what I hear it is impossible to compete against the WVU monolith. Or any academic mega-health system.

This sucks I'm sorry.

On the bright side, you could use this as an opportunity to not work for USACS! Can't you obtain orphan status and take for GME fundjng someplace else?

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, I am so sorry. I hope the best for you and your co-residents.

I’m so sorry Cajun, I hope this all works out well for you and you find a good spot elsewhere.

Thanks y'all. PD and DIO met with us this morning to discuss contingency plans and next steps. 3 PGY-2's total are leaving for open positions at other programs. Looks like the state ACEP and ACOEP national are trying to help. Maybe too early to tell, but we may get lucky and land on our feet.

Reactions: 1 user
We got temporary expansion approval from the Drexel thing and didn't use any of the spots. I'm sure there are tons of programs like ours that got approval. I doubt anyone will have any trouble landing on their feet if they have orphan status with their funding.

Man, you've sure had a rough go of it. Best of luck and keep us posted where you land.

Our program asked /was temporarily approved for 4+ slots for the Drexel residents. I’m sure they will again reach out and ask for temporary expansion. (None of the Drexel residents ended up at our program).

The issue will be residents funding being tied up in litigation just as Drexel’s residents were. The decision to close these hospitals was one made with profit/loss in mind, and as such any “assets” including GME funding can be tied up. Best of luck and hope for a speedy transfer.

A lot of hospitals got approval for expansion to absorb Drexel residents. I know of one place that was approved for 12 and only got 1. And as already noted some had approval but didn't get any. Hopefully you all land on your feet. Best of luck!

UPDATE:

- Our program's last day is going to be September 20th to facilitate transfer of us to programs that are on block systems.
- ACGME met with us last week and have opened up the official database to track position availability as of yesterday.
- Many programs have reached out to us and are looking at scheduling interviews as soon as they know the amount of spots they are getting
- Parent company has agreed to release funding, and it's been calculated. Released to prospective programs upon request
- ACGME has done the site visits for our sister program, they've been guaranteed a spot on the agenda for the September 6th, RRC Meeting

On a more personal note...Thanks to everyone on here that has reached out with information!
I threw a Hail Mary email at a Large, academic, Level 1 trauma program that I wouldn't have stood a snowball's chance in hell with otherwise. Got a reply within an hour, turns out I had some connections there. They are seriously interested in me. I'm excited and scared ****less at the same time!

Reactions: 14 users
Are you OK?

I saw that instead of a planned closure in October, the hospital announced on Tuesday that it was shutting down the next day. That has me worried since you said the residency program's last day was going to be the 20th.

Are you OK?

Doing well, Thanks for checking!

They've shifted us from the main site at OVMC to the sister campus at East Ohio as well as the new site at Trinity West in Steubenville, OH. Trinity got their EM program accredited yesterday at the RRC Meeting and will probably take the last few that have not signed contracts yet. 95 percent of us have spots. There's a few holdouts that were waiting on the Trinity decision and a couple others that may be expanding.

The hospital building itself is still open, and we have access to the medical education facilities for now. So, we're having board review/didactics daily M-F until the program officially ends on the 20th.

The candlelight vigil was surreal. I'd been through hospital closures before when we lost 2 ED's in Baton Rouge. One of our attendings, who had worked there since he completed residency made the last radio calls to the local 911 centers. The parking lot was filled with EMS, FD, and LE vehicles. The most somber version of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" was sung. The funniest part was one of the senior attendings ripped the triage bell out of the ceiling and walked outside, holding it up like a severed head. And then the party began...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users