2023-2024 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 IS II LM 75 complete 7/13
Idk what's going on today šŸ˜­
IS group 1 (LM about 75 but closer to specific minimum GPA and MCAT) get reviewed first and not by date.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this stats screen might be a myth. I got a LM 76 IS Complete 6/24 but no II.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this stats screen might be a myth. I got a LM 76 IS Complete 6/24 but no II.
It used to be auto but now they claim to be reviewing. So when a review is involved an actual human has to read ones entire file (essays, recs etc) to qualify them for an interview. As you watch the process unfold, you will see that there will rarely be anyone under certain LM before September.

The process is that they open up 2-4 slots (someone with actual dates can validate) and invite enough candidates for those slots. They will invite more when they open next round of slots. Not every can be invited in first 10 days even if one might actually be called eventually.

Reactions: 1 user
IS II! 3.5, 513. Kinda surprised bc TMDSAS just approved my letters today o_O

Edit: added stats

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Interesting tidbit! So they didnt need recs for group 1, only review of app...
Def true my lors arenā€™t even uploaded since one of my profs Unfort forgot to sign his letter for my committee letter.

submitted secondaries by 7/19. My LM is a ~75 rounded up. IS II and my first one

It used to be auto but now they claim to be reviewing. So when a review is involved an actual human has to read ones entire file (essays, recs etc) to qualify them for an interview. As you watch the process unfold, you will see that there will rarely be anyone under certain LM before September.

The process is that they open up 2-4 slots (someone with actual dates can validate) and invite enough candidates for those slots. They will invite more when they open next round of slots. Not every can be invited in first 10 days even if one might actually be called eventually.
This is anecdotal but I remember seeing from last cycle, a near 4.0/524 TX resident posted their cycle results and did not get an interview from UTSW. Obviously itā€™s on the internet so itā€™s impossible to verify this info, but I donā€™t see any incentive for someone to lie about not receiving an II.

Reactions: 1 users
This is anecdotal but I remember seeing from last cycle, a near 4.0/524 TX resident posted their cycle results and did not get an interview from UTSW. Obviously itā€™s on the internet so itā€™s impossible to verify this info, but I donā€™t see any incentive for someone to lie about not receiving an II.

They had a policy stating only GPA and MCAT and added additional caveats that you can see in the attached document. The only expectation is that they call people with high stats early (read first 2 months or so not all at once), not that they call everyone.

Attachments

• EDU-119A Appendix A - UT Southwestern Medical School (9391).pdf
    70.5 KB · Views: 172
They had a policy stating only GPA and MCAT and added additional caveats that you can see in the attached document. The only expectation is that they call people with high stats early (read first 2 months or so not all at once), not that they call everyone.
In your experience, when does UTSW typically start reaching out to those who fall into group 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
In your experience, when does UTSW typically start reaching out to those who fall into group 2?
Mid to late September unless one falls under some special category and gets reviewed early (last year someone got called early who was first gen or low income who might have been JAMP eligible).

IS II just now, can't believe! LM 76.5 complete 6/26

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone knows how many in-state students UTSW interviews, how many are offered admissions, and how many matriculate (among in-state students)?

Last edited:
Anyone knows how many in-state students UTSW interviews, how many are offered admissions, and how many matriculate (among in-state students)?
676 and 349 in 2021. They over admitted in 2022 and probably underadmitted in 2023.

Based on a spreadsheet I found incorporating MSAR and US News data, IS 705 IIs, 332 Aā€™s, and 221 enrolled.

Think it mightā€™ve been 2023 but I didnā€™t make the spreadsheet so idk. The person who made it titled it 2023 AMCAS Data though.
I dont think EY2023 is out yet, is it?

Hi All,
Once your secondary + CASPR scores were processed, did you receive an email from UT Southwestern indicating the completion of your app? I see on my status page that my app is completed/submitted, but I never got a confirmation email. Just double checking if this is important. Thanks!

Hi All,
Once your secondary + CASPR scores were processed, did you receive an email from UT Southwestern indicating the completion of your app? I see on my status page that my app is completed/submitted, but I never got a confirmation email. Just double checking if this is important. Thanks!
I got an email saying: "Thank you for applying to UT Southwestern. Your medical school application is now complete. It is difficult to anticipate when you might hear from us regarding the status of your application. There is no additional information you need to provide to us at this time. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you via email."

A couple people have DM'd me asking why I chose UTSW over Baylor. I'll summarize what I told people here:

The two schools are super similar and I loved my interview and visits to both. I especially loved Baylor because I have lots of friends living in Houston. Reasons I picked UTSW instead:
  1. UTSW has much better in-house residency programs. UTSW is #1 in the nation for plastic surgery, #6 Urology, #8 Dermatology, #9 internal medicine, etc etc etc. So your in-house residency is fantastic and that takes some stress off with matching.
  2. UTSW is the only medical school in Dallas, so UTSW students get all the resources, scholarships, and opportunities. Baylor students have to compete with McGovern students, UH students, A&M EnMed students, etc.
  3. UTSW is extremely active in improving the medical school and the UTSW medical center is growing fast. They're literally building a new psychiatric hospital and pediatrics hospital right now. This means UTSW will only get better over time.
Also something to consider, which I think is still a thing this year(?):
  • Baylor randomly assigns 40ish students to their Temple campus and you can't transfer between campuses. So consider if you're interested in being at Temple. Though if someone knows more about this, please comment.
Now that I'm at UTSW, I actually love it. There feel like an infinite amount of opportunities; we literally get emails all the time with attendings looking for med student researchers or offering shadowing opportunities. And the professors and upperclassmen do a great job making you feel like part of the UTSW family, even for OOS students. I went in fully expecting to just get my degree and get out, but now I feel a strong sense of belonging.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
A couple people have DM'd me asking why I chose UTSW over Baylor. I'll summarize what I told people here:

The two schools are super similar and I loved my interview and visits to both. I especially loved Baylor because I have lots of friends living in Houston. Reasons I picked UTSW instead:
  1. UTSW has much better in-house residency programs. UTSW is #1 in the nation for plastic surgery, #6 Urology, #8 Dermatology, #9 internal medicine, etc etc etc. So your in-house residency is fantastic and that takes some stress off with matching.
  2. UTSW is the only medical school in Dallas, so UTSW students get all the resources, scholarships, and opportunities. Baylor students have to compete with McGovern students, UH students, A&M EnMed students, etc.
  3. UTSW is extremely active in improving the medical school and the UTSW medical center is growing fast. They're literally building a new psychiatric hospital and pediatrics hospital right now. This means UTSW will only get better over time.
Also something to consider, which I think is still a thing this year(?):
  • Baylor randomly assigns 40ish students to their Temple campus and you can't transfer between campuses. So consider if you're interested in being at Temple. Though if someone knows more about this, please comment.
Now that I'm at UTSW, I actually love it. There feel like an infinite amount of opportunities; we literally get emails all the time with attendings looking for med student researchers or offering shadowing opportunities. And the professors and upperclassmen do a great job making you feel like part of the UTSW family, even for OOS students. I went in fully expecting to just get my degree and get out, but now I feel a strong sense of belonging.
which year are you?

WOW. Havent seen a D1 footballer in these forums!

Are you coming straight from school or tried out pro? What size are you?
Nah Iā€™m in my gap year now. There were some gaps I needed to fill that I simply didnā€™t have time for. I did not try pro, I was happy with my many individual and team success. Plus my body hurts, I canā€™t imagine enduring much more :rofl:

6ā€™1 low 200s, very lean build

Last edited:
I played DB, mainly safety but was very much a hybrid
It all makes sense now why you are getting interviews from the top schools.

Did you file a bunch of highlight videos as part of your app? :)

• Haha
It all makes sense now why you are getting interviews from the top schools.

Did you file a bunch of highlight videos as part of your app? :)
hahaha well if adcoms do a google search of me, I think theyā€™d be pleasantly surprised!

II IS like four seconds ago! I'm in my first day of senior year classes and had to try not to screech. Complete 7/27.

• Love
IS II just now!! LM 74 complete 6/19

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
II JUST NOW!! IS Complete 6/22 LM75, my dream school!!!!!

• Love