2023-2024 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the second prompt - "Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination."

Can I talk about a time I witnessed harassment/discrimination happening to someone else? Or does it need to be harassment/discrimination I experienced?

Members don't see this ad.

For the second prompt - "Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination."

Can I talk about a time I witnessed harassment/discrimination happening to someone else? Or does it need to be harassment/discrimination I experienced?
Just make it clear from the context of your essay. If you witnessed it happening to someone else, did you help? Did you wish you would have?

Reactions: 1 user
There is still a review of your activities for high stat auto invites. However, the initial invites only go to high stats irrespective of how late the app might be before the start of the interviews. If someone had 80 and applied end of July and were reviewed quickly, they may still get an interview in August.

A corollary to that - if you are at LM 72 or whatever qualifies as not meeting group 1 requirements, you may need to wait for a II until group I has been called. Some exceptions in last round were people who might be qualified as first gen and/or low income who would have qualified under JAMP who were called early.

Are these auto-invite cutoffs always based on the cumulative GPA? ie 45+ hour DIY post-bacc is a 4.0, but my cGPA is still in the dumpster, but the sGPA is a 3.8+

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are these auto-invite cutoffs always based on the cumulative GPA? ie 45+ hour DIY post-bacc is a 4.0, but my cGPA is still in the dumpster, but the sGPA is a 3.8+
From a historical perspective, I believe one must be IS, meet the averages published for GPA and MCAT on UTSW site at a minimum. UTSW is showing 3.88 and 516 for 2021. Used to be they only looked at the numbers but now they are also doing an app review for activities so it is no longer an auto invite based just on numbers. Translates to about 74 LizzyM but that score by itself with a higher GPA or lower MCAT does not seem to make a difference if one does not meet the threshold GPA and MCAT.

From a historical perspective, I believe one must be IS, meet the averages published for GPA and MCAT on UTSW site at a minimum. UTSW is showing 3.88 and 516 for 2021. Used to be they only looked at the numbers but now they are also doing an app review for activities so it is no longer an auto invite based just on numbers.

I had a 3.8X (<3.88) and 516 in the 2021-2022 cycle and got my II in the first week of October. I believe this was part of the first wave that was not auto-II, if anyone is curious about timing. I submitted the secondary in the first half of June (i.e. super early), so you may be in for quite a long wait if you're in a similar position.

I had a 3.8X (<3.88) and 516 in the 2021-2022 cycle and got my II in the first week of October. I believe this was part of the first wave that was not auto-II, if anyone is curious about timing. I submitted the secondary in the first half of June (i.e. super early), so you may be in for quite a long wait if you're in a similar position.
I knew someone in 2019 with a 3.7 and 519 who was invited only end of October. The numbers added up to 74 but the minimums were not met. OTOH, if you are at 78 because your GPA is 3.8 and MCAT is 524, you might still get invited early.

For the last two questions (the optional ones) if they don't apply, should I just leave them blank or put "No" or "N/A"?

Does anyone know whether it would be a good idea to submit secondaries with a letter of rec pending? I value this letter and don't necessarily want my application evaluated without it, but due to processing delays, it probably won't be received for a week or two at most. I see on the UTSW portal that the letter of rec status is checked as complete even though one letter is missing. This is inconsistent across all schools as some have marked it as an X (TAMU, Baylor, McGovern,) but others have a check just like UTSW (UH, Tyler,Tech); UTMB doesn't even show the status.

Am I being overly neurotic and this doesn't matter that much? I just want to maximize my chances and be evaluated asap.

Does anyone know whether it would be a good idea to submit secondaries with a letter of rec pending? I value this letter and don't necessarily want my application evaluated without it, but due to processing delays, it probably won't be received for a week or two at most. I see on the UTSW portal that the letter of rec status is checked as complete even though one letter is missing. This is inconsistent across all schools as some have marked it as an X (TAMU, Baylor, McGovern,) but others have a check just like UTSW (UH, Tyler,Tech); UTMB doesn't even show the status.

Am I being overly neurotic and this doesn't matter that much? I just want to maximize my chances and be evaluated asap.
Someone earlier said they don't even look at your app until all of your letters are in. I don't know why they said that in your portal that you are complete, but I don't think they'll look at your app until the letter is in. Does UTSW even send interview invites before the end of July anyway? I think they'll have a chance to look at your letter before sending out II's if it'll only be delayed a week.

Is that a third letter or something? They may say nothing pending if they received the required number (I am guessing and dont really know).

Is that a third letter or something? They may say nothing pending if they received the required number (I am guessing and dont really know).
That may be what it is. I submitted 4, but 1 was rejected due to a missing contact and was resubmitted. So that's the one I'm waiting on, they definitely already have the three required but of course, this letter is from my favorite writer.

to put it into perspective, I was complete late July (due to rec letter delays) and was invited to the first round of interviews. LM was 76 so I believe it was an auto invite.

There were a few people last year who were high stat and didn’t get autod into that first round, but I think they were in the minority
I might've missed this from earlier in the thread, but when do the first round of interviews usually go out? (Asking as a person who'll be complete mid-late July with same LM score and tons of research) 😅

Members don't see this ad :)
I might've missed this from earlier in the thread, but when do the first round of interviews usually go out? (Asking as a person who'll be complete mid-late July with same LM score and tons of research) 😅
Here is my running list of the dates all the Texas schools sent out interview invitations LAST YEAR (2022-2023 cycle). #2

I'll start up a new Republic of Texas thread sometime in late July and keep track of it again for the 2023-2024 application year.
Last year we saw most schools starting up in mid-July but a few (like UTSW) not until August.

Here is my running list of the dates all the Texas schools sent out interview invitations LAST YEAR (2022-2023 cycle). #2

I'll start up a new Republic of Texas thread sometime in late July and keep track of it again for the 2023-2024 application year.
Last year we saw most schools starting up in mid-July but a few (like UTSW) not until August.
Interesting they started early August. They have not updated the 2022 dates on their website and it says they will start sending invites mid july for August interviews.

Interesting they started early August. They have not updated the 2022 dates on their website and it says they will start sending invites mid july for August interviews.
That was pretty late for them last year but I trust my Texas peeps to tell me what's up! Prior years July was more typical.

Any current students at UTSW that can comment on the culture at the school? Any cool spots near campus that students hang out at?

I am like 100% sure that a thread for something like this has already been created, but I was really struggling to find such a thread, so apologies in advance.

According to this webiste: Prerequisite Courses, UTSW medical school requires 14 semester credits of biology. Yet, I am a neuroscience major. I have 6 biology lab credit hours, and 4 biology lecture credit hours (I attend a quarter system school and took two quarters of biology and was able to place out of the first quarter). Thus far, I took two neuroscience classes: [cellular and molecular neuroscience] and [systems and behavioral neuroscience]. Soon, I will be taking developmental neurobiology.

The website lists a bunch of different subjects (like zoology, ecology, genetics, etc) that count toward the 14 semester credits of biology requirement, but it does not state explicitly that neuroscience is one of these subjects. I therefore wanted to ask if anyone has any information regarding whether neuroscience does satisfy this category. Thanks everyone for any input!!

I am like 100% sure that a thread for something like this has already been created, but I was really struggling to find such a thread, so apologies in advance.

According to this webiste: Prerequisite Courses, UTSW medical school requires 14 semester credits of biology. Yet, I am a neuroscience major. I have 6 biology lab credit hours, and 4 biology lecture credit hours (I attend a quarter system school and took two quarters of biology and was able to place out of the first quarter). Thus far, I took two neuroscience classes: [cellular and molecular neuroscience] and [systems and behavioral neuroscience]. Soon, I will be taking developmental neurobiology.

The website lists a bunch of different subjects (like zoology, ecology, genetics, etc) that count toward the 14 semester credits of biology requirement, but it does not state explicitly that neuroscience is one of these subjects. I therefore wanted to ask if anyone has any information regarding whether neuroscience does satisfy this category. Thanks everyone for any input!
When you turn in your TMDSAS app and they verify it, they will tell you which classes can be used for Bio prereqs.
If you want to DM me with the name of your undergraduate college I can send you the list they go by for your school

Last edited:
I have moved your question and wysdoc’s answer to the UTSW specific thread for 2023-2024. Other applicants may have had similar concerns about the pre-reqs.

When you turn in your TMDSAS app and they verify it, they will tell you which classes can be used for Bio prereqs.
If you want to DM me with the name of your undergraduate college I can send you the list they go by for your school
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I sent a DM, but in case it is easier for you to view it here, I attend Northwestern University in Evanston.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I sent a DM, but in case it is easier for you to view it here, I attend Northwestern University in Evanston.

Every school in Texas requires 14 hours of biology. If you have deficiencies, TMDSAS gives you a report letting you know which areas you might need to complete additional coursework in.

The link above allows you to select courses from your school which qualify for biology. You can also petition tmdsas to reclassify a course not listed in this link but you believe meets the requirement for biology based on course content to meet biology requirements. Some requests are successful and some not.

Check your tmdsas transcript report carefully to see where they tell you you have gaps. If it says you are missing something, you have a whole year to fix it rather than finding out in March of 2024 you are missing classes.

Edit: I see several neuroscience classes listed under biology.

Last edited:
For context, I am an IS URM male, 3.2sGPA, 3.0 cGPA, 3.8 masters GPA with publications in a science heavy program, and a combined 6,000 of clinical, shadowing, volunteering, etc. I received my secondary before June (can’t remember the exact date) the only school I haven’t received a secondary from is Dell. While I think most Texas schools do have a minimum for their screening, it may depend on how quickly you submitted your primary (submitted mine the very first day I could)

Secondary invites are controlled at smaller schools. Schools with 150+ per class dont have any control if one meets the overall tmdsas expectations.

Current UTSW student here originally from the northeast. Happy to answer any questions, I will NOT review any essays. UTSW was not my first choice when I applied because I wanted to stay in the northeast, but I ended up picking it and have been really pleasantly surprised by my experience.

Some info in case it helps cater questions: I am an out of state'r, LGBT+, and Asian. I interviewed in September, was accepted in January, and committed to UTSW in April. I had average stats for UTSW.

For the secondary: make sure you answer the question completely. Not just part of it. Being direct and clear is better than being artsy and unclear.

Good luck y'all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are you counting yourself affiliated as a volunteer? Did you receive a UTSW badge?
Yeah I went through their whole onboarding process and I have a UTSW badge with a picture and it says “ volunteer, volunteer services”

Yeah I went through their whole onboarding process and I have a UTSW badge with a picture and it says “ volunteer, volunteer services”
You should list it. It should count as affiliation. Do they have any followup questions or is it only yes or no.

You should list it. It should count as affiliation. Do they have any followup questions or is it only yes or no.
not sure, I would have to get this answer from someone that has access to the secondary application.

Anyone know what the CAS requirements is on the portal ?

Anyone know what the CAS requirements is on the portal ?

It is believed someone flags off your application as meeting all the requirements including the classes needed. When I googled, I came across this reference for CAS in relation to UTSW - Central Application Service (CAS)

What’s an MCAT score that won’t close any doors for an in-state applicant to this school? 510+?

What’s an MCAT score that won’t close any doors for an in-state applicant to this school? 510+?
10th percentile in-state is like 509, so you probably want to be above that unless your ECs are extremely strong or you're URM (if that still matters post AA, have no clue how schools are adjusting). 514 is the 25th percentile in-state so that's probably a better mark if your ECs are strong but not groundbreaking

I wouldnt put too much stock in UTSW scores being below 510 for regular pool. There are JAMP candidates in the pool who probably dont need a specific score.

II just now!

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats!!!

+1 II. My app was only complete June 24th so i'm very surprised

*happy wiggle*

Reactions: 5 users
+1 IS II LM 75 complete 7/13
Idk what's going on today 😭

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats everyone! I hope to join y’all soon.