2023-2024 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for the activities section, do we write a short description for the activities as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if I should mark myself as economically disadvantaged or not? I come from a single parent household and my total household income was about 50-60k for the majority of my childhood. We weren't incredibly well off but we were never homeless or in poverty either, and we never received government assistance. AMCAS did mark me as EO2 SES disadvantaged for what it's worth, but I feel like if I marked myself disadvantaged on the secondary it might not be appropriate.

Last edited:
are you guys listing pulications in the activities section of the secondary?

are you guys listing pulications in the activities section of the secondary?
No u only get 4 to include regarding research. Just mention the overarching lab or experience. They'll see ur pubs bro on amcas or send an update letter with the citation

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering if I should mark myself as economically disadvantaged or not? I come from a single parent household and my total household income was about 50-60k for the majority of my childhood. We weren't incredibly well off but we were never homeless or in poverty either, and we never received government assistance. AMCAS did mark me as EO2 SES disadvantaged for what it's worth, but I feel like if I marked myself disadvantaged on the secondary it might not be appropriate.
My opinion is that if AMCAS thought you were economically disadvantaged, it should definitely be appropriate for you to define yourself as such. But I'm no expert so I can't say for sure.

Also: Any chance you could share the prompts for the special programs? LC, ABC, IM etc?

My opinion is that if AMCAS thought you were economically disadvantaged, it should definitely be appropriate for you to define yourself as such. But I'm no expert so I can't say for sure.

Also: Any chance you could share the prompts for the special programs? LC, ABC, IM etc?
Thank you, that definitely makes sense! I forgot to mention that I also didn't qualify for FAP (was only about $2k over the eligibility limit) so that's another reason why I was conflicted about it. I did end up marking myself as disadvantaged though, and if they decide to interview me and they ask about it I'll be prepared to explain.

And I don't think I can get the prompts for the special programs because I checked "No" for LC and ABC. I did check "Yes" for IM but it didn't have me answer a prompt. Here are the descriptions though if that helps:

PRIME-LC:
Prime-LC is a five-year MD/Master’s program that is committed to training physicians to meet the needs of under-resourced Latino communities. It offers an enhanced medical school curriculum that includes coursework emphasizing leadership, advocacy and service. The program includes coursework from the School of Social Sciences and the School of Medicine, experiential learning opportunities throughout California, an international clinical rotation, as well as completion of a master’s degree.

PRIME LEAD-ABC:
PRIME LEAD-ABC is intended to develop physician leaders to address the healthcare needs of the African, Black and Caribbean communities. Students in the program will receive in-depth training on the unique health care concerns in these communities. The program offers an optional year to obtain a master's degree in an area that will advance their ability to effect change in the delivery of healthcare for these communities.

If accepted, do you want to be considered for the Health Education to Advance Leaders in Integrative Medicine (HEAL-IM) program?

HEAL-IM:
Health Education to Advance Leaders in Integrative Medicine (HEAL-IM) is a UCI School of Medicine mission-based program designed to train future physicians in the practice of compassionate, evidence-informed integrative medicine. Students will learn to deliver whole-person care by incorporating foundational elements, which includes balanced nutrition, culinary medicine, mindfulness, meditation, physical activity, stress reduction, supplement management, social support, and more. HEAL-IM students will learn how to integrate these modalities to complement their conventional medical practice. Faculty and staff from the Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute (SSIHI), a leading international site in the field of whole-person care, will provide longitudinal clinical supervision and mentorship to HEAL-IM students.

"As you progress through the admissions process you will need a UCInetID to access commonly used university systems, e.g. Financial Aid. As a "Student Applicant" you can activate your UCInetID or change your password by clicking here. Until a final decision has been made, please hold off from activating it."

On my application Status it says "Activate your UCInet ID" but the "until a final decision is made" feels like it's saying hold off on making an account until admitted. Does anyone know if we need to go ahead and make one or if were supposed to wait?

When they ask for "total hours," are they referring to the activities listed or to all relevant experiences (including those that are not listed)? Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth to still apply to this med school at this point in time? 71LM 84 WARS

Hey guys, how did yall input your hours? Some of my activities were super heavy in the summer and were a lot less in the spring and fall. I was thinking of averaging but the total amount of hours I have per week is very high and unbelievable.

Hey guys, how did yall input your hours? Some of my activities were super heavy in the summer and were a lot less in the spring and fall. I was thinking of averaging but the total amount of hours I have per week is very high and unbelievable.
My hours are also strange for some because they only happened at certain timepoints in the year. I averaged for most of them, or tried to think about my total commitment for a certain block of time and then averaged the hours across the active block of time.

Last edited:
According to the latest MSAR Report (August 3 update) on Virtual Interviews, UC Irvine will be using the Kira Talent assessment platform, which could be either live or asynchronous. I have not seen a website corroborating this or providing more details. (I presume they will ask for an asynchronous recorded interview).

If you need help with virtual interviews, go through the Casper/SJT forum. Also consider joining Becoming a Student Doctor where we have been helping enrolled students with Casper and PREview in the last cohort and will do interview prep this time.

OOS II received, LM 76.8, complete 7/15

Reactions: 1 users
II IS LM 75 . Complete secondary same day I got it (7/15)

Y'all i truly can't figure out what to do for the activities, are most people repeating all of their AMCAS ones or just inputting one per section? And how are we putting hours for things like shadowing/study abroad? I know for shadowing we can put non-continuous but then do we just do like 1h/week or the total number of hours? Just very unsure what to do 😅

I put the most meaningful amcas activities and others I felt were very meaningful as well—so I didn’t list all my activities.

As for hours if you did volunteering only over the holidays when you were at home from college and you completed, say 5 hours a week. Then mark it as non-continuous and put 5 hours/week. I’m pretty sure that’s what they want.

For the gap years section, did anyone just write bullet points in chronological order? I'm wondering if that looks lazy, but they don't give enough characters for me to be writing about each activity...

For the gap years section, did anyone just write bullet points in chronological order? I'm wondering if that looks lazy, but they don't give enough characters for me to be writing about each activity...
this is what I did as well, and after the bullet point (if it was a meaningful activity) I had like a sentence explanation of it's importance to me personally.

asking for a friend.

shes wondering if its worth it to submit her secondary to uci as an oos applicant. ik they dont take a lot of oos applicants but she graduated from uci.

her stats r p strong (3.8+, 518) and she has decent ecs

asking for a friend.

shes wondering if its worth it to submit her secondary to uci as an oos applicant. ik they dont take a lot of oos applicants but she graduated from uci.

her stats r p strong (3.8+, 518) and she has decent ecs
Yes. She graduated from uci they specially ask that in the secondary because they like uci graduates apply

My primary was processed 8/11 and I got a secondary the day after. My stats aren’t great though, so I’m still worried.

Yes. She graduated from uci they specially ask that in the secondary because they like uci graduates apply
Is there a section where OOS students can indicate their ties/why specifically Irvine?

Yall the UCs are so random, I got my UCLA and UCI the day after I was verified, UCSD a few days later, UCR a week later, and radio silence from UCSF and UCD lol

Also, I don't think UCI and UCLA really screen? I was verified later in the day and I got the secondary from UCI and UCLA at like 6 AM the next morning
UCLA definitively screens. I received UCD and UCI a day after being verified, then UCSD and UCR a week later. Radio silence from UCLA and UCSF.

IS Norcal

UCLA definitively screens. I received UCD and UCI a day after being verified, then UCSD and UCR a week later. Radio silence from UCLA and UCSF.

IS Norcal
Ok I was literally verified 5/31 and haven't received UCI secondary. Wondering if I somehow got screened? I got every other UC (except Davis, I didn't apply).

Reactions: 1 users
Does UCI claim to screen? I wasn't aware of any screening measures

If you scroll to the FAQs, a question asks if everyone receives a secondary. They say no, approx 3500 secondaries are sent. Not sure what their screening measures are but it seems they do screen.

Wait, I just checked my portal and I'm in a similar situation. Marked complete on a certain date but letters were received almost a month later? Lol Maybe it's correlated to when the AO reviews your file
Also have it like this, submitted 7/31 and letters 8/26. Maybe thats when they imported the letters into their system.

damn, i just saw the interview uci dean did on youtube, and he said "pls don't talk about sick grandparents in your ps. it's an automatic turnoff."

caring for my grandma was the biggest theme all throughout my application (including my ps) :cryi:

i shall take my L and move on

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
damn, i just saw the interview uci dean did on youtube, and he said "pls don't talk about sick grandparents in your ps. it's an automatic turnoff."

caring for my grandma was the biggest theme all throughout my application (including my ps) :cryi:

i shall take my L and move on
You're okay. Trust me. Besides whatever you hear, I literally know someone who goes there who's PS was about their grandma lol

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone done this? The sentence that says "Until a final decision has been made, please hold off from activating it." makes me think we just leave it alone....right? This may be a very dumb decision but idk.View attachment 376312

Hey! Just a heads up, your full name is on the picture. You should probably delete this just in case!

how did someone write out their essay for the fourth one asking about what you did since college? should it be in chronological order like in a bullet point/numbered format? or is it better to put it in an essay format?