2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd guess the admissions team decided on a set number of acceptances and AL slots at the beginning of the cycle but noticed an abnormally high number of applicants declining or committing elsewhere. I'm waitlisted at a DO school that burned through their whole waitlist last year and needed to do some last-minute interviews in June, so it's not unheard of.

Regardless, I'm delusional enough to consider this a stealth A 🤪
So is this GREAT news for the AL people? I hope it is bc I LOVE NEOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

dont they waitlist 3x the number they accept? to think they accept everyone off the AL would be shocking ngl
It's highly possible the people on AL are committing to other schools for whatever reason. (plan to enroll or commit to enroll). Medical schools can see on AMCAS where their applicant pool is planning to go and maybe that's why NEOMED is extending potential interviews for this May and June. This happens and NEOMED has a high waitlist movement unlike other schools. I wish they would start calling the people who are on AL who have not committed elsewhere .

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So is this GREAT news for the AL people? I hope it is bc I LOVE NEOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah it means their yield is gonna be super low which is good for those of us on the “alternate list journey”

is it to late to apply to neomed? I’m in state and I have been accepted at 2 DO schools but was wondering if I could still apply? Also I have history with neomed as I was accepted in the med school before but due to my mcat being off by 1 I was deferred but I did pass the interview and got a seat but just didn’t meet mcat requirements of the EAP program.

is it to late to apply to neomed? I’m in state and I have been accepted at 2 DO schools but was wondering if I could still apply? Also I have history with neomed as I was accepted in the med school before but due to my mcat being off by 1 I was deferred but I did pass the interview and got a seat but just didn’t meet mcat requirements of the EAP program.
Their website gives a cutoff date of November 1st for primary, December 1st for the secondary. Even if these deadlines didn't exist, applying in March would be considered extremely late for US MD programs. That being said, I can't speak to your history with NEOMED, if you have some extenuating circumstance and/or special consideration that's beyond the scope of this forum and you should probably just reach out to admissions directly. Again though, barring special circumstances it's almost certainly too late.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes

Manifesting that NEOMED will take me to the promised land🤞🏼

I am expecting some movement after APR 15th when the choices are narrowed down to 3 and more after May 1st when it trickles down to one choice

I am expecting some movement after APR 15th when the choices are narrowed down to 3 and more after May 1st when it trickles down to one choice
I agree, but from what I've read above I am thinking they might start calling sooner, since applicants are committing to other schools? In order to interview new applicants through June , shouldn't they be calling those on AL now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, but from what I've read above I am thinking they might start calling sooner, since applicants are committing to other schools? In order to interview new applicants through June , shouldn't they be calling those on AL now?

ya its so strange they are anticipating having to interview more people in june without even pulling from the AL yet

Can someone call them and ask when they plan to start calling AL people? I cannot do it I am too nervous......

Can someone call them and ask when they plan to start calling AL people? I cannot do it I am too nervous......
No, it shows impatience. I would advise against this

Reactions: 1 user
If only they knew the discourse and over-analysis that Pre-II AL email has stirred us up all into lol. I think we can't take it to mean much in either direction, at the end of the day they have some of the highest AL movement in the country, so we all just have to wait and see

I believe that many students opt to attend other schools, which is why there is significant movement on the alternate list. I visited NEOMED, and it's a great school, but it is costly compared to other schools in Ohio, except CASE, and it lacks its own hospital. Additionally, it doesn't receive substantial funding and has the worst reputation among Ohio schools. They can't risk not having a full class, so I am guessing that is why they are anticipating having to interview more people. This is all a guess from a pre-med lol

I believe that many students opt to attend other schools, which is why there is significant movement on the alternate list. I visited NEOMED, and it's a great school, but it is costly compared to other schools in Ohio, except CASE, and it lacks its own hospital. Additionally, it doesn't receive substantial funding and has the worst reputation among Ohio schools. They can't risk not having a full class, so I am guessing that is why they are anticipating having to interview more people. This is all a guess from a pre-med lol
Well I think it's a great school. I hope they call me because I am ready to commit yesterday. I am OOS

Well I think it's a great school. I hope they call me because I am ready to commit yesterday. I am OOS
yeah me too lol I hope we all hear good news soon! So tired of being in the alternate list

I think most people would go to a different MD school if they had another option unless this was their hometown or something, hence the large AL movement.

I think most people would go to a different MD school if they had another option unless this was their hometown or something, hence the large AL movement.
I know many people (like me ) who want to go away to school. I would think many people would like to go to new cities/towns. I am so ready to venture out.

I know many people (like me ) who want to go away to school. I would think many people would like to go to new cities/towns. I am so ready to venture out.
In Ohio? lol just fyi Rootstown doesn't have much going on. The nearest cities with anything to do really are Kent, which is a college town, Akron which can be dangerous at times, and downtown Cleveland which is kinda far. I guess it's not a bad thing given you'll probably be too busy to venture studying the first couple years.

In Ohio? lol just fyi Rootstown doesn't have much going on. The nearest cities with anything to do really are Kent, which is a college town, Akron which can be dangerous at times, and downtown Cleveland which is kinda far. I guess it's not a bad thing given you'll probably be too busy to venture studying the first couple years.
Yeah I mean't to go study OOS and your're right I will be studying A LOT. I like a nice quiet town to do that in, which is why I love this school.

• Care
Yea not much to experience here as someone who is familiar with the area but I get it.

So if you have 8 As you're just coming here to talk trash about NEOMED?
I was stating why this school has large AL movement lol. I actually applied ED to NEOMED last year and didn't get in so.

Last edited:
They got someone off the AL in March last year . This year they want to invite people for II if needed in May and June . Why don’t they just start taking us off the WL now ? I’m assuming they didn’t send people an email of pre II AL last year .

They got someone off the AL in March last year . This year they want to invite people for II if needed in May and June . Why don’t they just start taking us off the WL now ? I’m assuming they didn’t send people an email of pre II AL last year .
I haven't been able to find anything in previous threads about them sending the Pre-II AL in the past, so I'm assuming its a new thing for this year. Trying to keep my expectations in check, but if they were confident that they wouldn't exhaust the AL then why even send the email? Seems like it has to mean something. Just hoping they start pulling early enough in April/May so that those of us who are planning to re-apply don't get stuck paying for another AMCAS just to then get an acceptance...

I haven't been able to find anything in previous threads about them sending the Pre-II AL in the past, so I'm assuming its a new thing for this year. Trying to keep my expectations in check, but if they were confident that they wouldn't exhaust the AL then why even send the email? Seems like it has to mean something. Just hoping they start pulling early enough in April/May so that those of us who are planning to re-apply don't get stuck paying for another AMCAS just to then get an acceptance...
Exactly right.

Yeah my take on this is that they plan to exhaust the alt list (it was sitting at a 99% conversion rate for IS kids last year). OSU is taking another 25 students this year because of the new rural/community program, which could potentially hurt their yield a bit.

Yeah I feel you. I really don't want to start preparing for the next cycle. Just thinking about re applying make me so anxious and stressed out...

Yeah my take on this is that they plan to exhaust the alt list (it was sitting at a 99% conversion rate for IS kids last year). OSU is taking another 25 students this year because of the new rural/community program, which could potentially hurt their yield a bit.
as someone who is currently deferred at osu, don’t give me hope man 😭

For those wondering about the AL, they have started moving people. Got my A yesterday after getting placed on AL last week. Keep checking your email!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For those wondering about the AL, they have started moving people. Got my A yesterday after getting placed on AL last week. Keep check your email!
whatt, congratulations!

• Love