2021-2022 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioPsychotic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as all my post-interview decisions so far have been WL, I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
As someone that was on the waitlist all the way up until the first class began in 2020, I appreciate this thread. So far the only response from my 3 II has been a waitlist and the rest have been silent. So let's goooooo!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it seem like they are handing out more WL decisions this year? I feel like I've hardly seen post-II R's lately, just WL.
I think that this has been becoming more common in general over the years. It seems like schools don’t want to hurt an applicant’s feelings and thus avoid rejecting too frequently post interview. Obviously I understand that rejection is part of life and is necessary for these schools, but it still hurts. At a bunch of schools, there isn’t even an option for interviewed candidates to be rejected (examples include Umich, UF etc).Of course, when applicants realize this, it hurts their feelings just as much. Especially schools like Umich that accept a supermajority post interview

I think that this has been becoming more common in general over the years. It seems like schools don’t want to hurt an applicant’s feelings and thus avoid rejecting too frequently post interview. Obviously I understand that rejection is part of life and is necessary for these schools, but it still hurts. At a bunch of schools, there isn’t even an option for interviewed candidates to be rejected (examples include Umich, UF etc).Of course, when applicants realize this, it hurts their feelings just as much. Especially schools like Umich that accept a supermajority post interview
I really hope that isn't the case for most schools. A WL feels so much worse than an R. At least with an R you know when to cut your losses and move on, but holding onto a WL while simultaneously having that WL flooded with hopeful applicants seems cruel. Especially when those WL decisions aren't made until May-July.

Reactions: 3 users
Don’t get me wrong, some waitlists are good to be on. For example, I hear that VCU takes a good amount from the waitlist and the last person to be admitted actually gets a scholarship.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with feelings, one way or the other. For the most part, they just don't care.

Everyone who received an II was deemed admittable, at least by the screeners. Once that determination is made, many schools just don't release candidates until a class is seated. Rejections come eventually, when it is convenient for the schools, not necessarily when an applicant would like closure.

This is why ranked WLs are the ultimate in transparency, but schools don't want their hands to be tied, so they tend not to use them. The next best thing is a tiered WL. That, plus prior cycle SDN threads, can provide a reasonable idea of where to invest a little energy and where to move on.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with feelings, one way or the other. For the most part, they just don't care.

Everyone who received an II was deemed admittable, at least by the screeners. Once that determination is made, many schools just don't release candidates until a class is seated. Rejections come eventually, when it is convenient for the schools, not necessarily when an applicant would like closure.

This is why ranked WLs are the ultimate in transparency, but schools don't want their hands to be tied, so they tend not to use them. The next best thing is a tiered WL. That, plus prior cycle SDN threads, can provide a reasonable idea of where to invest a little energy and where to move on.
I've seen applicants on SDN literally count down to their spot on a ranked waitlist based on the number of posters that announce they are withdrawing on the school's forum. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many ranked waitlist in the last few years.

2 II, both WLs ☹️

How are we feeling?
More schools seem to be inviting a couple weeks in advance rather than 1.5 -2 months like in past cycles. I got one this past week for early January at a school that I know for a fact used to book well in advance (2months). Obviously prepare for the worst but don’t be completely hopeless about the possibility of getting more opportunities.

6 II which resulted in 3 WL, and I won't hear back from the other 3 until February or March :1poop::1poop::1poop::1poop:

• Care
6 II which resulted in 3 WL, and I won't hear back from the other 3 until February or March :1poop::1poop::1poop::1poop:
I have a feeling that more schools than usual overenrolled this past cycle due to the increase in applications. Many mid or low tier schools probably got more of the applicants they thought wouldn’t end up attending to accept the offer. This would lead to schools being more conservative in the acceptances they give out.

I have noticed at least in passing that
The people who do have multiple acceptances seem to more of them than usuals.If a higher percentage of acceptances are going out to fewer students, that would imply more WL movement.

Or maybe I’m just coping since I’ve also gotten 3 waitlists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling that more schools than usual overenrolled this past cycle due to the increase in applications. Many mid or low tier schools probably got more of the applicants they thought wouldn’t end up attending to accept the offer. This would lead to schools being more conservative in the acceptances they give out.

I have noticed at least in passing that
The people who do have multiple acceptances seem to more of them than usuals.If a higher percentage of acceptances are going out to fewer students, that would imply more WL movement.

Or maybe I’m just coping since I’ve also gotten 3 waitlists.
I partially agree with you. I studied the last cycle pretty extensively, both through the experience of real life friends and through SDN. The surge in applications last cycle led to many more rejections and more people ending the cycle with zero As. A few schools were over enrolled, as there are every cycle. There was absolutely no evidence, however, that the increase in applications led to an increase in As that might have led to an increase in schools being over enrolled.

OTOH, the increase in competition caused by the huge increase in the number of applicants probably did lead to everyone's yield increasing, which led to what seemed like reduced WL movement at many schools, and might lead to schools being more conservative with As this cycle.

Whether this leads to increased WL movement remains to be seen. I've seen speculation on SDN during every cycle since 2018-19 that WL movement would increase. First, due to the loss of the MAR in 2019, then just wishful thinking in 2020, then the pandemic and virtual interviews causing people to hoard IIs and As in 2021, and now you thinking you're noticing the same thing, with more people holding multiple As than usual, based on a sample size of approximately 0 out of the 60,000 +/- applicants this cycle.

At some point it's inevitable that WL movement will increase noticeably as compared to a prior cycle, but it hasn't happened in the three cycles prior to this one that I observed. Which is fine, because there really is significant movement every year. Not at every school, and not at the same schools every cycle.

But if you go back and look, you will see a lot of people reporting success each cycle between the end of April and the middle of June, with a trickle before and after. It sucks if you have zero As and are working on a reapplication while hoping something good happens, and is just annoying if you know you are going to med school but don't know where, as you anxiously hope to be able to upgrade. At the end of the day, however, most people with 3+ WLs do end up attending a med school when the dust settles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I am sitting on 2 waitlists, waiting for a 3rd post-II decision, with a fourth interview coming up.

It is difficult because so many people around me say "Oh it's a done deal! You'll definitely get in!" when that's not exactly the case. Even though I'm so close, there's still no guarantee.

Thus, I prepare for a re-app while remaining optimistic. 2 more decisions means 2 more opportunities for an A!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
How did WL support threads from both of the past years get to >3k replies when this is at 16?:unsure:

Three interview invites with one waitlist and one no response since interviewing in October. I have one interview coming up later in this month.
Trying my best to be hopeful!

And BioPsychotic, keep your chin up! You have multiple schools to hear back from! Chances are in your favor!

How did WL support threads from both of the past years get to >3k replies when this is at 16?:unsure:
Gosh. I dunno. Were they really at 3K+ replies on January 5th each year? :cool:

Is WL support really a big thing while IIs are still going out, As are still going out, and WL movement is literally months away from getting going?

Gosh. I dunno. Were they really at 3K+ replies on January 5th each year? :cool:

Is WL support really a big thing while IIs are still going out, As are still going out, and WL movement is literally months away from getting going?
I just saw it under the “similar threads” section on this website which I didn’t even really know existed until the new format of sdn came out.

I just saw it under the “similar threads” section on this website which I didn’t even really know existed until the new format of sdn came out.
Things will get rolling in March-April, after everyone receives results from all of their IIs, and when WL movement gets closer. It gets intense starting mid-April, which is when people start getting calls as people dropping excess As picks up steam around 4/15, and again as 4/30 approaches. Based on the way things are going, I'm looking forward to it myself this cycle.

For the record, post #1 was not made last cycle until January 13th!

Waiting on 2 post-II decisions. Manifesting this A!

Reactions: 5 users
Another one!! 4II --> 3WL + 1 pending decision :sick:
Can we have time go a little faster?

Reactions: 4 users
Got the A today!!!!!

I am numb. This is a day that I thought would never come. I'm going to be a doctor!

Best of luck to everyone else on waitlists! Persevere and never, ever doubt your capabilities.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 25 users
Got the A today!!!!!

I am numb. This is a day that I thought would never come. I'm going to be a doctor!

Best of luck to everyone else on waitlists! Persevere and never, ever doubt your capabilities.

Congrats!! Were you waitlisted by the school you received your acceptance from initially?

Got the A today!!!!!

Congratulations!! I knew your A was coming! Go celebrate 🎉

• Love
I've seen people pulled off the WL in November of 2021. Some schools do WL app reviews every meeting.
That's very rare. Most schools that do something like that refer to it as being deferred, or on continuing review, which is in essence what you are describing. Most schools use their WL to accept people after their interview season, to replace previously accepted people who withdrew, or to fill out the class if they did not accept as many people as they thought they would.

It is what it is, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to call it a WL if the apps are being actively reviewed at every meeting along with everyone else. That's really the same as just not receiving a decision post-II, since you are neither accepted nor rejected, and are being actively considered.

Last edited:
Got the A today!!!!!

Happy for you! Hard work pays off!

• Love
That's very rare. Most schools that do something like that refer to it as being deferred, or on continuing review, which is in essence what you are describing. Most schools use their WL to accept people after their interview season, to replace previously accepted people who withdrew or to fill out the class if they did not accept as many people as they thought they would.

It is what it is, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to call it a WL if the apps are being actively reviewed at every meeting along with everyone else. That's really the same as just not receiving a decision post-II, since you are neither accepted nor rejected, and are being actively considered.
Wayne State calls it their alternate list and states that candidates are reviewed throughout the application cycle until a final decision is made (acceptance or mid-Summer rejection). That being said, they call it a waitlist on the application portal. Kind of confusing.

Anyone else just have 1 WL? Don’t think I’ll get any more II.

Anyone else just have 1 WL? Don’t think I’ll get any more II.
Have you had more than the one interview? How many more schools are you waiting to hear back from, and which ones are they? It's true that a lot of schools are done, or nearly done, with IIs, but there are still quite a few that will be sending them out into February or even March.

Having received anything at all, you are in a better spot than those who haven't. That indicates that there is no inherent deficiency in your application, which means you have a real shot at receiving additional IIs, as long as they are still going out. There are lots of stories of people converting a single II into an A, with some making a pit stop on the WL first.

That said, yeah, your odds would be better if you had another WL or two, but it is what it is. Hang in there.

Have you had more than the one interview? How many more schools are you waiting to hear back from, and which ones are they? It's true that a lot of schools are done, or nearly done, with IIs, but there are still quite a few that will be sending them out into February or even March.

Having received anything at all, you are in a better spot than those who haven't. That indicates that there is no inherent deficiency in your application, which means you have a real shot at receiving additional IIs, as long as they are still going out. There are lots of stories of people converting a single II into an A, with some making a pit stop on the WL first.

That said, yeah, your odds would be better if you had another WL or two, but it is what it is. Hang in there.
This is my only II. I finished secondaries throughout August and got this II a few weeks after. I know that I’m lucky to have a II but the wait is going to be grueling.

This is my only II. I finished secondaries throughout August and got this II a few weeks after. I know that I’m lucky to have a II but the wait is going to be grueling.
Agreed. I can only urge you to hang in there and realize that it's really not over until it's over. The single II indicates that there is nothing wrong your application. While that could also be true of people with no IIs, it could also be the case that they do have an issue, with no way to know whether they are just having bad luck.

Also, I don't consider anyone receiving IIs "lucky." That implies there is no skill involved. You worked hard to put together an application that at least one adcom found attractive enough to bring you in for an interview, against tremendous odds. Most schools screen out between 80-90% of applications pre-II. I consider that skill.

Without putting numbers on it, I can tell you that I have had more IIs between the beginning of December and today than I had from the end of September through the beginning of December, which is supposed to be the peak of II season. As long as your schools are still giving out IIs and you haven't yet received a R, you really do have a shot, since someone is receiving the IIs, and it's definitely not the people who have already received one. Good luck!

Do D.O. schools usually start pulling from the waitlist at the same as M.D. schools? Or is it usually earlier or later? I've got an A to a school and more interviews coming up, but my top choice WL me back in September.

Do D.O. schools usually start pulling from the waitlist at the same as M.D. schools? Or is it usually earlier or later? I've got an A to a school and more interviews coming up, but my top choice WL me back in September.
It's totally different. DO over accepts earlier, so they can grab those large non-refundable deposits. They then lose people throughout the cycle, as very few people won't drop a DO, and forfeit the deposit, if they get a MD A, which can come at any time.

I'm not a DO expert, but my guess would be that it starts earlier and ends later, since DO is constantly losing people to MD, but it doesn't happen the other way around.

The good news is, with an A in the bank, you know that you are not going to be a reapplicant. You can really be called off the WL at any time, right up through the first few days of classes.

More good news is that DO schools always have more WL movement than MD, by design, since the forfeiture of those large deposits is part of their business model. DO schools make sure to snap up people early, KNOWING that they are going to lose a number of them later to MD schools, and planning on replacing them with people on their WL. Good luck!

It's totally different. DO over accepts earlier, so they can grab those large non-refundable deposits. They then lose people throughout the cycle, as very few people won't drop a DO, and forfeit the deposit, if they get a MD A, which can come at any time.

I'm not a DO expert, but my guess would be that it starts earlier and ends later, since DO is constantly losing people to MD, but it doesn't happen the other way around.

The good news is, with an A in the bank, you know that you are not going to be a reapplicant. You can really be called off the WL at any time, right up through the first few days of classes.

More good news is that DO schools always have more WL movement than MD, by design, since the forfeiture of those large deposits is part of their business model. DO schools make sure to snap up people early, KNOWING that they are going to lose a number of them later to MD schools, and planning on replacing them with people on their WL. Good luck!
Thanks, you seem really knowledgeable on this stuff! I wish you the best too!

Agreed. I can only urge you to hang in there and realize that it's really not over until it's over. The single II indicates that there is nothing wrong your application. While that could also be true of people with no IIs, it could also be the case that they do have an issue, with no way to know whether they are just having bad luck.

Also, I don't consider anyone receiving IIs "lucky." That implies there is no skill involved. You worked hard to put together an application that at least one adcom found attractive enough to bring you in for an interview, against tremendous odds. Most schools screen out between 80-90% of applications pre-II. I consider that skill.

Without putting numbers on it, I can tell you that I have had more IIs between the beginning of December and today than I had from the end of September through the beginning of December, which is supposed to be the peak of II season. As long as your schools are still giving out IIs and you haven't yet received a R, you really do have a shot, since someone is receiving the IIs, and it's definitely not the people who have already received one. Good luck!
Yeah I know it’s not luck but sometimes it seems that way. Thank you. Good luck to you too!

Yeah I know it’s not luck but sometimes it seems that way. Thank you. Good luck to you too!
Thanks! :)

And, believe me, I am VERY well aware of the fact that there is an element of randomness to it that makes it seem like luck is involved, but it seems like the only luck is bad luck (i.e., good applications not being selected). I have not seen or heard of a single person getting lucky with a marginal application. The process is simply way too competitive for that to happen.

That's all I meant. You are fortunate to have received an II, but not lucky. You definitely earned it. And, having earned at least one up to this point makes you more likely than some others to receive more from schools where you are still alive that are still dishing them out.

Last edited:
Sitting on two WLs right now and super surprised to get an II from my top school! But with my low stats, got a pit in my stomach that it's going to be yet another WL. Blessed and thankful to have another opportunity, though! Really wishing all of you troopers future interviews and acceptances!!! It aint over till its over, damn it!

Sitting on two WLs right now and super surprised to get an II from my top school! But with my low stats, got a pit in my stomach that it's going to be yet another WL. Blessed and thankful to have another opportunity, though! Really wishing all of you troopers future interviews and acceptances!!! It aint over till its over, damn it!

I am in a similar situation. I am WL’d at two schools and waiting for a decision from an interview I had this past month. I have an II next month too. Like you I am incredibly appreciative of the opportunities I’ve had, but it’s so hard to wait.

Are you still taking classes or doing anything to continue showing your strengths? I have decided to continue to take graduate level courses so I can show my commitment (along with volunteering etc) idk if it’ll help much, but I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Lol, this describes it too

Within two minutes of posting that video I received a rejection from Dartmouth, I was clearly mistaken when I thought ABBA would have reversed the curse of silence.

Edit: They did indeed end the silence, but not in the way that I had hoped.

• Care
5 II's, 4 WL's and 1 post-II R. My app was pretty lopsided I think- 3.8 GPA and 515 MCAT, lots of research with multiple high author pubs, and lots of clinical hours. Got a committee letter with what I was told were great evals and LORs, applied early and to mostly research/teaching oriented schools in my score range. However, I had literally no nonclinical volunteering on my primary, no leadership besides my adjunct job and mentoring in my research lab, no crazy awards, no separate entry for shadowing, and no hobbies on the app. Didn't do a whole lot of interview prep either besides why medicine and why X school. Needless to say I've made a lot of mistakes I think.

Have been doing weekly nonclinical volunteering at a place I really like for a few months, and might ask my coordinator for a LOR to the WL schools that accept them. Other than that, I think I'll send a LOI to one of the schools, but I've heard it's bad practice to do so without any A's, so I'm not sure. Continued interest letters to the rest I think.

If it doesn't work out this cycle I probably won't reapply. It would be my 4th gap year (if I wait a year like the advice goes it would be 5,) my parents are both very old, I'm an only child, and I should be setting myself up to get a decent job before they die instead of applicant limbo with unpaid/low paying work, so they don't die worrying about me. Maybe apply for grad school. I think my resume is much more suited to it, and I could see myself being happy as a potential prof because I adore teaching and I could still make a difference in making people's lives better.

Anyway, just venting I guess. No one else to really talk to about this. I've been lurking for a while and reading all of you guys/girls' posts has helped me cope a lot, so thank you all very much. I read the entire WL support thread from last year, and I don't really see any of the eventual reapplicants from that thread in this one, so hopefully you all got accepted somewhere. Will be here throughout as well, and hopefully I can be of emotional support to you guys as you have been to me. You all sound like truly wonderful people, and even if this doesn't work out, I know you'll have the drive to succeed, whether it be pursuing this again or another career path. Thank you all again.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
5 II's, 4 WL's and 1 post-II R. My app was pretty lopsided I think- 3.8 GPA and 515 MCAT, lots of research with multiple high author pubs, and lots of clinical hours. Got a committee letter with what I was told were great evals and LORs, applied early and to mostly research/teaching oriented schools in my score range. However, I had literally no nonclinical volunteering on my primary, no leadership besides my adjunct job and mentoring in my research lab, no crazy awards, no separate entry for shadowing, and no hobbies on the app. Didn't do a whole lot of interview prep either besides why medicine and why X school. Needless to say I've made a lot of mistakes I think.

Have been doing weekly nonclinical volunteering at a place I really like for a few months, and might ask my coordinator for a LOR to the WL schools that accept them. Other than that, I think I'll send a LOI to one of the schools, but I've heard it's bad practice to do so without any A's, so I'm not sure. Continued interest letters to the rest I think.
DONT'T give up!!! 5 IIs indicates you have a solid application, and you know exactly what your weaknesses are. Addressing them now, during this cycle, means you don't need to sit out a cycle before reapplying.

Also, while it's probably a bad practice to try to negotiate fin aid without another offer, no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending a LOI to one WL school even though you have no As. A TON of people do that every cycle. It is FAR from over, and with 5 IIs, you have a statistically decent chance to get off of 1 or 2 WLs before all is said and done. Good luck!!

If it doesn't work out this cycle I probably won't reapply. It would be my 4th gap year (if I wait a year like the advice goes it would be 5,) my parents are both very old, I'm an only child, and I should be setting myself up to get a decent job before they die instead of applicant limbo with unpaid/low paying work, so they don't die worrying about me. Maybe apply for grad school. I think my resume is much more suited to it, and I could see myself being happy as a potential prof because I adore teaching and I could still make a difference in making people's lives better.

Anyway, just venting I guess. No one else to really talk to about this. I've been lurking for a while and reading all of you guys/girls' posts has helped me cope a lot, so thank you all very much. I read the entire WL support thread from last year, and I don't really see any of the eventual reapplicants from that thread in this one, so hopefully you all got accepted somewhere. Will be here throughout as well, and hopefully I can be of emotional support to you guys as you have been to me. You all sound like truly wonderful people, and even if this doesn't work out, I know you'll have the drive to succeed, whether it be pursuing this again or another career path. Thank you all again.
Basically what @KnightDoc said above - if this is where your passion lies, DON'T GIVE UP! While not the same family situation, I'll be starting this Fall at the ripe age of 29. Of course it's not ideal, but if you're committed to this path, you won't be able to imagine taking any other route.

From what you've described, our applications are eerily similar (albeit a couple hundred really old non-clinical volunteering hours and some leadership, we have similar GPA's, same MCAT, research, etc.) and you've gotten 3 more II's than I have. That's awesome! I'm privileged to have gotten the A, but sometimes it comes down to luck when a committee decides between an A and a WL. But statistically speaking, you're in an enviable position, at least from an interview quantity standpoint. Rooting for ya!