x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikey Mikey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last I heard, Canada actually had their **** together much more than we did here in the US. I imagine your path to licensure would be extremely difficult without an accredited program. The best advice you will get is to stay away from un-accredited programs. They are predatory and will gladly take your money and leave you with dismal job prospects and loans you will struggle to pay back.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew the process of becoming a licensed psychologist if you go to CalSouthern or another unaccredited doctorate program. What would the timeline look like? I know there have been a few graduates of Calsouthern go on to become licensed. I would like to become a Psychologist in Ontario but I am unsure if I will get into an accredited program.

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

I don't think that the program meets the standards for licensing in most states in the US. So I cant imagine it would for Canada.

EDIT:

"One of the most popular degree programs at CalSouthern, the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) is an applied, clinically focused degree that meets the educational requirements for licensure as a clinical psychologist in the state of California."

This is code for: "but we make no promises about anywhere else."

https://www.calsouthern.edu/online-psychology-degrees/psychology-alumni

Its also interesting that maybe one, at most, of their "notable alumni" are actually licensed at the doctoral level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No. Please save yourself the $ and hassle of attending an unacred. program that from all discernible metrics…sucks. There are literally over a hundred programs in the country I would recommend instead.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if anyone knew the process of becoming a licensed psychologist if you go to CalSouthern or another unaccredited doctorate program. What would the timeline look like? I know there have been a few graduates of Calsouthern go on to become licensed. I would like to become a Psychologist in Ontario but I am unsure if I will get into an accredited program.

It's not a good idea as there are so many pitfalls in the process and a lot of time and money is at stake. In many states and provinces you can be licensed by attending a program that is "substantially equivalent" to an APA-accredited program; however, this is a judgment call for the licensing board to make, and increasingly these backdoor mechanisms are falling out of favor. You could also try to become licensed in one of the US states that has a reciprocity agreement with Ontario; there are several, but again, you have to show that your program meets the same standards as accredited programs, which seems unlikely. Overall the odds are against you. Unaccredited programs will take your tuition money with zero accountability. Don't even go there!

This is another of the "no, this is not a good idea" comments. There are a lot of threads on this forum about these types of programs. The advice is always the same. Adding another hoop you want it to satisfy (another country accreditation) makes it even less of a palatable option than it was already.

Within Canada, accrediting bodies vary by province, and so whether or not they'll accept a "substantially equivalent" but non-accredited program will be different in, say, Ontario versus Saskatchewan versus Quebec. You're better off directing your questions to the Ontario provincial licensing board if that's something of importance to you. But keep in mind that PsyDs are not NEARLY as prevalent in Canada as they are in the US, so you'd already be fighting an uphill battle for legitimacy in their eyes even without the accreditation issue. (for reference, in 2015 98% of PsyD applicants for the match were from US schools, only 1% from Canada: http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part3.aspx)

I imagine the process works like this:

Lie your ass off
Find some weak willed psychologist to bully
Lie down more
Fail every licensing test ~8 times
Refer back to that one person who got licensed
Pay crushing student loan debt
Give up
Get licensed as an MA level person
Call yourself Dr so and so
Get a board complaint

Hi everyone,

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

It is highly unlikely that you will pass the licensing exam for psychology if you are permitted to sit for the exam. However, most Psy.D graduates can easily pass the LPC or MFT exam and enjoy the status of being called doctor.
Anyone with a Masters' or Doctorate in psychology can pass these two exams.