WVSOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i interviewed on the 16th of march and they just updated me to alternate list, just fyi.

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed on the 11th and was just updated to the alternative list as well. i called up and they said the reason for it was that the class is currently full and that alternate list was the best i could have hoped for. so for all you future interviewees the best yoiu can hope for is alternate list

Well, I got the call yesterday morning! Interview on April 6th! Hang in there guys!

I also interview on the 6th! But just read the previous comment about the class being full. Bummer for sure.

Why do schools still interview after the class is full?? I am sure the waitlist has plenty of applicants on it already. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on March 4th and was just updated to the Alternate List on the 8th of April. I called the school and spoke to Annette Moore about the specifics of the list.

The school almost never sends out more than 200 invitations for acceptance, as that is how many seats are in the class. They know that not every one of those invitations will be accepted; therefore, they compose an alternate list to fill in the spots that are not taken by people from the original acceptance list.

There is no top or bottom to the list, and no priority. No one person on the alternate list has any better of a chance than anyone else on the list. When a seat opens in the class, the committee will re-review all of the files of the people on the list and decide which person they think best fits that open seat. So for all of you on the list, don't lose hope. You still have a shot of getting in when seats open up.

She also told me that the committee has done this in the past and may make the decision to do it again in the future: Each person on the alternate list who does not get accepted this year will have automatic acceptance next year without having to fill out any forms or anything.

So take hope, all! The end is not near yet.

Good luck!

I interviewed on March 4th and was just updated to the Alternate List on the 8th of April. I called the school and spoke to Annette Moore about the specifics of the list.

The school almost never sends out more than 200 invitations for acceptance, as that is how many seats are in the class. They know that not every one of those invitations will be accepted; therefore, they compose an alternate list to fill in the spots that are not taken by people from the original acceptance list.

There is no top or bottom to the list, and no priority. No one person on the alternate list has any better of a chance than anyone else on the list. When a seat opens in the class, the committee will re-review all of the files of the people on the list and decide which person they think best fits that open seat. So for all of you on the list, don't lose hope. You still have a shot of getting in when seats open up.

She also told me that the committee has done this in the past and may make the decision to do it again in the future: Each person on the alternate list who does not get accepted this year will have automatic acceptance next year without having to fill out any forms or anything.

So take hope, all! The end is not near yet.

Good luck!

That's really good to know. So basically if you don't get in anywhere this year you pretty much know that you're already accepted for next year. That's great!

Woh! I wonder what %age of the class is from last year's wait list?

Yeah, it's really good to know. I actually got the letter in the mail today that said that I am on the alternate list and that the chance still exists to gain a seat in this year's class. It also says at the bottom that acceptance will be offered for the following year without applying or interviewing again. I assume everyone who is on the waitlist would receive a letter stating the same thing. So yea, it's pretty wonderful!

Here's one for any current WVSOM students: I'm currently looking at housing and financial aid options. Are there any apartments or lending firms that you recommend, or perhaps more importantly, recommend staying away from?

so the alternate list is not the waitlist (which is referred to as decision deferred). The alternate list means that the class was full by the time they reviewed your application, and that your qualifications are good enough to be admitted if their was room available for the class.

Yes, amazzoch, I believe you are correct. When I look on the website and check my status, it reads 'Alternate List.' I have read on SDN that some people's reads 'Decision Deferred', which must be the waitlist.

To quote the letter I received in the mail:

'If we are unable to accept you from our alternate list this year, we would like to extend an invitation for you to join the class entering August 2010. This would eliminate reapplying and interviewing, as long as your credentials stay the same.'

There must, then, be a difference in the Alternate List and the Waitlist. I was not aware of this beforehand.

Does Woodland Akers have a website?
Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread for a while but just registered on sdn today. I was wondering if anyone knows if there has been any movement on the alternate list. Was any offered admission yet?

Does anyone know the policy on attendance to first-year orientation? I am assuming it is mandatory but just wanted to check to see if absences were permitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I made the alternate list.... Better than a denial!

Does anyone know the policy on attendance to first-year orientation? I am assuming it is mandatory but just wanted to check to see if absences were permitted.

Yup! Orientation is mandatory.

Has anyone on the alternate list heard anything back?

nope...hopefully soon:)

Ditto! I wish we had some sort of clue when the first round of alternate list kids would be offered a spot...anyone have an idea??

Ditto! I wish we had some sort of clue when the first round of alternate list kids would be offered a spot...anyone have an idea??

I spoke to Annette from Admissions yesterday, and she told me that they generally don't see any movement on the alternate list until the end of May.

The admissions board meets almost every Tuesday unless there is a conference or something is going on that has a lot of the staff out of town. If you interview on Monday, there is a chance you will know the next day. The admissions dept is VERY good about updating status information on the web page. If you have questions, don't hesitate to call Annette Moore at 304-647-6230 [email protected] or Angie Amick at 304-647-6408 [email protected].

It's actually Angie Bowyer - I believe she coordinates the whole interview

So I was just looking at my application checklist on wvsom's website and additional fields for college transcripts have been added to the table. Did that change for any of you guys as well? I hope that means my status is about to be updated;)

So I was just looking at my application checklist on wvsom's website and additional fields for college transcripts have been added to the table. Did that change for any of you guys as well? I hope that means my status is about to be updated;)

When you go to the website it gives you the option to check your status. What does it say?

When you go to the website it gives you the option to check your status. What does it say?
It still says "alternate list". I'm probably just reading into things too much.

My checklist has said that for quite some time, too :/ I actually called and spoke with Annette Moore yesterday…she told me that there have been no invites off the alternate list as of yet...nor have there even been any initial reviews to do so, for that matter. Sometimes they’ve seen the first set of students be invited around the last week of May, but typically she said no movement really occurs until June/July. Hopefully the first round of us will hear within the next few weeks! I am pretty indifferent to when I go, this year or next, but I just wish I knew which it was gonna be!! I’m getting nervous about the idea of finding out at the end of July and having to find housing…esp that allows a pup :/

PS...Isa84...you don't happen to be Isabelle from Chicago (but originally from Poland) who interviewed on April 3, do you?? I noticed you are from Chicago and I was pretty sure I interviewed with an Isabelle! And there was a WVSOM student at our lunch from your hometown and high school? Let me know if that rings a bell LOL! (my name's Courtney) :)

PS...Isa84...you don't happen to be Isabelle from Chicago (but originally from Poland) who interviewed on April 3, do you?? I noticed you are from Chicago and I was pretty sure I interviewed with an Isabelle! And there was a WVSOM student at our lunch from your hometown and high school? Let me know if that rings a bell LOL! (my name's Courtney) :)

Hey MissDO,
Yes it's me! It's nice to see someone I know on SDN. I wonder if anyone else from our group is on the alternate list.
Hope to see you in August:)

Hey MissDO,
Yes it's me! It's nice to see someone I know on SDN. I wonder if anyone else from our group is on the alternate list.
Hope to see you in August:)

The girl Mary from our interview day (idk if you remember her...from NY I think)...she's on the alternate list, too. We got connected on facebook. Hopefully we'll all hear some good news soon :)

Anyone heard of any movement off the alternate list yet??

Nope.

This is my biggest question for those on the alternate list: What do we do if they call us on August 13th and say, "Hey, we'd like to offer you a seat that just became available. See you in class on Monday"? What are we supposed to do about missing the week of orientation AND the first week of classes? On top of that, what are we supposed to do about securing housing in a single weekend? This scares me a little.

Nope.

This is my biggest question for those on the alternate list: What do we do if they call us on August 13th and say, "Hey, we'd like to offer you a seat that just became available. See you in class on Monday"? What are we supposed to do about missing the week of orientation AND the first week of classes? On top of that, what are we supposed to do about securing housing in a single weekend? This scares me a little.

My exact fear. I really don't know. Annette did tell me there's the most (and initial) movement in June/July....so hopefully we'll hear sooner rather than later :/ I do worry about that tho. I'd hate to miss out on the first week of things...it'd just add more stress to my life than I'm already gonna have to deal with!

I'm with you guys, I'd hate to have to rush for housing and financial aid. But, since I live about an hour outside Lewisburg, I guess commuting until I got things straightened out is doable. Hopefully we'll hear something concrete soon. Until then, I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us!

Wow, I didn't even realize they can still call us after beginning of the orientation....that's 2 additional weeks of sitting on pins and needles!

I emailed Annette last Tuesday and she told me that so far movement has been very slow(they had one withdrawal last week, I don't know if that spot has been filled or not).

Noke, you're the lucky one then. I live in Chicago (about a 10 hour drive) and I can't imagine making the move over 1 weekend....or even 1 week for that matter. I get anxious just thinking about it:scared:

MissDO,

I thought you were already accepted to WVSOM. Did I misread something?

I am already accepted...everyone on the alternate list is. We just don't know if we're going this year or next year. The way the alternate list works at WVSOM is, if you are not invited into this years class (by means similar to any "traditional" wait list system), then you are automatically accepted to the class of 2010, no re-app, no re-interview. You are asked to put your deposit down in August and officially become a member of the class of 2010. So no, you didn't misread anything, I am already accepted...just not sure yet when I'm goin...as with all my fellow AL kids.

Are we really required to pay the deposit in August if we want to keep the acceptance for next year?
And here I was thinking that I'm gonna spend that money on a really awsome vacation since I'll still have plenty of time to save before next year;)

Are we really required to pay the deposit in August if we want to keep the acceptance for next year?
And here I was thinking that I'm gonna spend that money on a really awsome vacation since I'll still have plenty of time to save before next year;)

Haha yes I do believe we are. That is what Annette told me on the phone back in April. :/

Any news guys...? It's gettin late in the summer...I've started the dreaded job search :( gotta make some money over the next year.

Any news guys...? It's gettin late in the summer...I've started the dreaded job search :( gotta make some money over the next year.

Nothing yet:( Good luck with job hunting!
Do you know what kind of a job you would like to get?

Nothing yet:( Good luck with job hunting!
Do you know what kind of a job you would like to get?

I just graduated with a BS in biomedical engineering so probably something in that field...yuck! lol.

FYI--just called the admissions office this morning. They told me that we need to be prepared to hear from them, enroll, and move our lives to Lewisburg up until August 7. Orientation starts the 3rd and classes start the 6th this year--only 3 days of orientation. The lady told me that the latest we will hear though is the 7th.

Also, she said the movement has just begun (early July)--not enough to touch the alternate list yet, though, just the movement that takes care of their "overflow" of applicant acceptances (since most schools accept more than the class can actually hold). She said last year they exhausted the AL in the month of July; however, the year before that, there was minimal movement and few resulting invites off the list. So...my job searching is very casual/essentially at a halt for now until the 7th. One more month! Oh and ps, I called a realty office today and they told me there are TONS of rentals available in Lewisburg...to the point where landlords are calling their office complaining "where are all the DO students!?" So maybe that means some ppl that have been accepted aren't actually planning on attending...? lol. happy thoughts.

I think my boss would flip if I told her on the 7th that I won't be coming in on Monday because I got the call:eek:

Have you submitted your transcripts yet? or taken the CPR course?

I did submit my transcripts...back in early June. Are we required to take a CPR course?

I did submit my transcripts...back in early June. Are we required to take a CPR course?

It is required and they recommend getting it done prior to beginning of the school year, however, I read somewhere that they do offer it during the fall semester for the late comers.

Hey everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on problem-based learning vs. the traditional method. For some people who chose problem-based, why did you choose it and do you feel like you are learning the fullness of the material as well?

Isa, do u know if online course certification is accepted?

Thanks, Isa! I guess I should've just looked at FAQs page on the website lol. That's so nice they're providing laptops for all the first years--as far as I know, they did not do that last year...so I hope it is a continuing trend for next years students!

I just talked to Annette this morning, she said that there has been recent movement in other DO schools, and what usually happens is that this causes a ripple effect because movement in their schools sometimes affects the WVSOM accepted class, opening spots or reducing the Alt List. But they still don't have enough drops to look at the list. She also said some students who were accepted don't tell them that they "don't plan to attend" til the last few days, which sucks because it screws us over....those jerks. :/

I just talked to Annette this morning, she said that there has been recent movement in other DO schools, and what usually happens is that this causes a ripple effect because movement in their schools sometimes affects the WVSOM accepted class, opening spots or reducing the Alt List. But they still don't have enough drops to look at the list. She also said some students who were accepted don't tell them that they "don't plan to attend" til the last few days, which sucks because it screws us over....those jerks. :/

Ah how annoying! Well, like i mentioned in a post above...the realty office I contaced in Lewisburg just last Tuesday told me there are plenty of rental properties available now; so, that's reassuring for people who may be invited off the AL anytime in the next few weeks...you'll be able to find housing. Fingers crossed, guys! But still don't forget...stay positive bc if this year doesn't happen, it's a sure thing for us next year :)

Ah how annoying! Well, like i mentioned in a post above...the realty office I contaced in Lewisburg just last Tuesday told me there are plenty of rental properties available now; so, that's reassuring for people who may be invited off the AL anytime in the next few weeks...you'll be able to find housing. Fingers crossed, guys! But still don't forget...stay positive bc if this year doesn't happen, it's a sure thing for us next year :)

MissDO,

Would you mind telling me the name of the realty office? Hopefully it'll come in handy these next few weeks!

-Devin

MissDO,

Would you mind telling me the name of the realty office? Hopefully it'll come in handy these next few weeks!

-Devin

Sent you all the info in a PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.