Writing To Faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twiggers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm at the stage where I want to start writing to faculty (I've done my research on school and faculty,, downloaded articles, etc.).
I want to mention reading the person's article but don't want to sound to ass-kissy ...any recommendations?
I also want to subtly ask if they have openings for the upcoming year and if not have them recommend me to someone in department who does.......should I be subtle or just come right out and ask?

I've also been told by advisors that if the person doesn't email me back then I should cross them off my list? Is that good advice to take?

I'm doing this because I don't want to waste my money applying to a program that doesn't have room (well a specific faculty member doesn't have room) because most programs recommend you have 2-3 faculty members you want to work with.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Introduce yourself.

Be short and direct.

Be clear on what you want.

E-mails get lost. Don't take that personal.

Like Hemmingway said use short, clear words to avoid confusion and to not waste time.

Those are general guidelines. I do not know your situation well enough to comment.

I'm at the stage where I want to start writing to faculty (I've done my research on school and faculty,, downloaded articles, etc.).
I want to mention reading the person's article but don't want to sound to ass-kissy ...any recommendations?

Just write the email naturally !!! I'm sure you've written cover letters for jobs before. Briefly describe your credentials and your interest in their research...

I also want to subtly ask if they have openings for the upcoming year and if not have them recommend me to someone in department who does.......should I be subtle or just come right out and ask?

Just ask....

I've also been told by advisors that if the person doesn't email me back then I should cross them off my list? Is that good advice to take?

Not necessarily. But if you don't get a response, email again in a couple weeks. Can also call the department and ask if they're on sabbatical the following year....

I'm doing this because I don't want to waste my money applying to a program that doesn't have room (well a specific faculty member doesn't have room) because most programs recommend you have 2-3 faculty members you want to work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. The advice of writing to faculty pays off! I have been writing this week to faculty, and just received responses, some indicating that they are not accepting students and referring me to other professors. HOw valuable is that? Now I won't look like an idiot when I apply by putting down a professor who is not accepting.

Well worth the time and effort!

Well things are working out....I've emailed only 2 schools so far (but about 15 faculty) and I actually have a professor calling me at home at the beginning of November (at one of my higher choice schools).....that could be a good thing right?

There are several faculty who have not responded....when I write back in a couple weeks should I send the entire letter again or...maybe just ask them about openings for the upcoming year to be brief???