Would you attend a postbacc with this success rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

middlemarchhh

Reaction score
I recently reached out to the head of a pre-health program at a CUNY school with a very new postbacc program to ask about the success rate. He said that the program is too new to provide the stats for the postbacc, but for all prehealth students with undergraduate GPAs of 3.0+ and MCAT scores of 498+, 192 students apply in the past five years, 120 of whom got into US medical schools, for a success rate of 62%. I know this doesn't measure up to the likes of programs like Bryn Mawr with 98% admission rates, but also the threshold for scores by which they are judging is fairly low. The more well established programs are cost prohibitive to me. Should I be scared by this success rate? I don't have a great understanding of what is normal for these programs, but I am super risk averse considering my age.
For reference, I went to a T30 school and was a social sciences major, earned a 3.7 GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently reached out to the head of a pre-health program at a CUNY school with a very new postbacc program to ask about the success rate. He said that the program is too new to provide the stats for the postbacc, but for all prehealth students with undergraduate GPAs of 3.0+ and MCAT scores of 498+, 192 students apply in the past five years, 120 of whom got into US medical schools, for a success rate of 62%. I know this doesn't measure up to the likes of programs like Bryn Mawr with 98% admission rates, but also the threshold for scores by which they are judging is fairly low. The more well established programs are cost prohibitive to me. Should I be scared by this success rate? I don't have a great understanding of what is normal for these programs, but I am super risk averse considering my age.
For reference, I went to a T30 school and was a social sciences major, earned a 3.7 GPA.
Often the success of the program is more on the students than the program. Our own success rate is ~50%, so the CUNY program seems decent.

We have students in our SMP who fail to get into medical schools because one or more of the following is true:
1) they try to work at the same time as being students
2) they take the MCAT during the program and wreck both their GPAs and the MCAT score
3) They live too far away and waste time in commuting
4) they treat the program like they're in undergrad and don't study like medical students, even though we teach them the skills to do so
5) The struggling students never, ever come for help
6) They dive into the sunk cost fallacy, and continue with the program when they're failing, even to the point of never passing a single exam
6b) They don't take a LOA when health or family issues arise
7) They simply don't have the mental firepower to make it in the program
8) they don't take our advice on the above to not do stuff like the above.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the advantage of a formal post bacc for you? Your GPA is good. DIY post bacc would be cheaper.

To answer your initial question, No.