Worried about Breast exp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseChair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My training in mammography has been not that great in residency so far. Very loose oversight and the attendings themselves are slammed which puts us to the backside a bit

I’m worried how this will affect me long term - not planning on going into breast fellowship but many practices seem to make their partners read everything including breast. Can this be caught up later? I’m would not feel comfortable even reading screeners at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to the meet the case minima for MQSA?
Agree 100% with this statement. This is literally all you need to do by the time you graduate from residency as you will learn the bulk of your knowledge with regards to Breast Imaging in fellowship. Put in the work, give it your all, read a ton, get a ton of experience doing different procedures and you’ll be in good shape for PP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe OP said he is not going into breast fellowship.

OP, while some practices may incorporate breast imaging into the partner rotations, a lot do not. In my experience it has been about 50/50. Even still, of the practices that do incorporate breast imaging into the usual rotation schedule, most limit that to screening/diagnostics. If your program has enough volume for you to meet MQSA numbers, you should be comfortable enough reading screeners. Any practice worth its salt and that expects you to read breast should be willing to proctor you, especially if a procedural component is expected. There are also supplemental courses you can pursue as an attending (e.g. through the ACR) that can boost your skills.

If you are still concerned, does your program offer a mini fellowship? That can definitely help you with your comfort, especially if you know a practice you are interested requires breast. Additionally, if you do end up deciding to do a breast fellowship, this is all moot.

Reactions: 1 user
My training in mammography has been not that great in residency so far. Very loose oversight and the attendings themselves are slammed which puts us to the backside a bit

I’m worried how this will affect me long term - not planning on going into breast fellowship but many practices seem to make their partners read everything including breast. Can this be caught up later? I’m would not feel comfortable even reading screeners at the moment.

I would be happy to help you with mammo. Feel free to PM me.