Workup of Pseudobulbar Affect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a psychiatrist, I run into Pseudobulbar affect sometimes in my geriatric inpatients, who often have a history of dementia. My understanding is that this condition can be caused by stroke, ALS, Alzheimer's, TBI, etc.
Is there any established workup for pseudobulbar affect? Do patients with a history of dementia who are exhibiting this condition require an MRI?
I could not find anything on Up to Date on the work up of pseudobulbar affect. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

As a psychiatrist, I run into Pseudobulbar affect sometimes in my geriatric inpatients, who often have a history of dementia. My understanding is that this condition can be caused by stroke, ALS, Alzheimer's, TBI, etc.
Is there any established workup for pseudobulbar affect? Do patients with a history of dementia who are exhibiting this condition require an MRI?
I could not find anything on Up to Date on the work up of pseudobulbar affect. Thank you.
Not much workup if presentation is typical and patient has a known underlying condition that predisposes to it as mentioned above. Some red flags including sudden onset etc that might warrant MRI in some cases.
Nudexta can be tried- sometimes helps.

Reactions: 1 users