Medical Working part time while in medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello,

Is it manageable to work part time during M1,M2, or M4?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some schools will prohibit you from working at all during M1, M2, M3. Some students can manage to work as teaching assistants, particularly the type of work that can be done asynchronously (grading papers, setting up course management system pages). Whether 24-36 hours/mo would be acceptable may depend on your school and your ability to keep your head above water. If you flounder, the first thing you'll be told will be to quit your job.

These are questions for your financial aid office. As @LizzyM notes, you may actually be prohibited from taking a job outside the school in your first three years. I have seen some people take on contract positions (doing things like MCAT tutor for companies) or find out a way to monetize being in medical school (vlogs, IG, TT, learning how to do passive income streams). Regardless, you need to ultimately report significant income because your financial aid package must be adjusted for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion:

This is coming from someone who was never too particularly concerned about the money side of things. I'm not exactly who someone would term 'overly fiscally conscious' as another way of saying it.

With that being said, I don't think the money saved by working a few times a month during M1/M2 is worth that time being used to either study or recharge.

0/10, would not recommend. I cannot tell you the number of times we have seen someone post about how they were facing dismissal because they were trying to work on the side, and it blew up in their face. Even if you don't fail, you won't do as well as you would have otherwise. Med school is not college, it's a full time job and should be treated as such.

This is not worth the risk. The last two that tried it here ended up on academic probation.
The previous two repeated a year.
I won't go into the grisly tales of older cases.
Mind you, these are students with 518+ MCAT scores and great GPAs from renowned undergrads.

Suffice it to say, a previous practice (relying on student judgement), is being replaced by new policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.