Wondering about Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jet li

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I am a first year med student wondering about Ophthalmology. First of all, is it a well respected field among physicians? Also, how competitive is it to get a residency in the field? I was also wondering how it compares to other fields as far as compensation and future, especially with all the managed care stuff and turf wars with optometrists. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks a bunch!

Jet

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot. That really helps. However, I am still curious about people's opinions on the field. Are a lot of your classmates eager to go into it? Do they think it's a boring specialty? Do they want to do it but don't have the grades? I would appreciate anyone's 2 cents worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey jet li...by the way, loved your moves in Lethal Weapon 4!!
smile.gif

Have you ever shadowed an Opthamologist? Maybe that would be a better way to answer your question. Try shadowing physicians of different specialties if you can & it can help you decide what you really like. Opthalomolgy is a great & tough specialty to get into, but I am not too familiar with a lot of medical students who want to pursue that route. Then again, things can change significantly when you start rotations.

Are you currently a medical student? If not, don't sweat it too much & do more investigation. Give yourself time to tap more into your interests. You never know...dermatology, for example, might be your calling
wink.gif

Dermatology practice: "If it's wet, dry it!" "If it's dry, wet it!" Good luck!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 03-02-2000).]

I just realized that ophthalmology is an early match. I would appreciate some success stories of where people matched. Also, how many people from your school applied and how many matched, and to where? I have seen the stats at the sfmatch web site, but they were just cold numbers. I think it would be encouraging to hear real-life stories of the matching process. ENT and Neurosurg stories welcome too. Thanks.

Freedom buddies, I have recently had my x ray vision upgraded. Better buy some lead outfit ladies...

I think my ophthalmologist did his residency in Medical Health Science Center of Health and Medicine on the planet nebulon. Average USMLE - 260.

More good news from....
Captain FREEDOM!!!