Coursework & Fieldwork Withdrawl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamPaigeM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy!

I applied through OTCAS in mid September, and have already heard from one school that I have been invited for an interview. However, I am taking a calculus class at my school because i was going to apply to a program that required it as a prerequisite. The class average right not is very low and I do not want it to hurt my GPA. I am not sure if I should withdraw from the course. I have never withdrawn from any of my courses before, but I also do not want it to hurt my admissions status. Does anyone have any advice? Do you think dropping from the course will look bad, or having a poor grade on my transcript look even worse?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing from a class and obtaining a "W" is meant for people who are in circumstances beyond their control when they cannot complete a course. Many schools will wonder why you received a "W" if you don't have a good reason for it, i.e. medical emergency, family death, etc. I'd recommend not withdrawing. Some schools will ask you if and why you have a "W" too. If the only reason was that you were about to get a bad grade or the professor didn't teach well, that will not reflect well on you.

I had used up all of my allowed withdrawals and an F that I retook. Didn't stop me from acceptance to the two schools (TWU & Tech) I applied to my first rodeo. It's not a big deal and no one will ask why. You're allowed to drop courses. Life happens. Your one W is small in a holistic process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user