Withdrawal Appealed Classes and AMCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marasame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a question regarding adding withdrawn classes to my AMCAS application.

Spring semester of my junior year was very tough due to some personal matters and I failed 2 of my core classes. Since during that time I was seeing my school therapist regularly, I was able to appeal those two classes from my transcript/gpa based on medical reasons. After that semester, my grades went back to normal (A/B average) and I retook both of the classes I failed and got As. my question is: do I have to add those classes 2 times when I enter them in my AMCAS application? If so, how will that affect my GPA? The way my school handled it was that once the appeal process was accepted, the classes remained in my transcripts but do not count towards my gpa. I am not trying to hide the fact I failed them because that semester was such a growing experience for me and I am hoping I get a chance to talk about that during my interviews.

Any input will be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You’d enter the courses as seen on your transcript. All grades are factored in, so, if you got an A in the course you failed, it averages to a C.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I have a question regarding adding withdrawn classes to my AMCAS application.

Spring semester of my junior year was very tough due to some personal matters and I failed 2 of my core classes. Since during that time I was seeing my school therapist regularly, I was able to appeal those two classes from my transcript/gpa based on medical reasons. After that semester, my grades went back to normal (A/B average) and I retook both of the classes I failed and got As. my question is: do I have to add those classes 2 times when I enter them in my AMCAS application? If so, how will that affect my GPA? The way my school handled it was that once the appeal process was accepted, the classes remained in my transcripts but do not count towards my gpa. I am not trying to hide the fact I failed them because that semester was such a growing experience for me and I am hoping I get a chance to talk about that during my interviews.

Any input will be highly appreciated!
If the failed grades appear on your transcript, but were "forgiven" by your university when they calculated your university GPA, that does not affect the way that AMCAS will calculate your application GPAs, (which is to include all grades earned that appear on the official transcript as @ciestar said). So, yes, you would enter each class twice on the application, once with the F grade and once with the A grade.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! What about if the classes appear as W on my transcript? I got a D and an F but it doesn't actually say that in the transcript, just W.

Thank you! What about if the classes appear as W on my transcript? I got a D and an F but it doesn't actually say that in the transcript, just W.
W is a W, does not go into the GPA.
The only exception being some universities that grant a " WF" or withdraw fail, those are very,very rare and ACOMAS uses them as F's.

You put into AMCAS whatever is listed on your official transcript. If a W is listed, then it doesn’t count against your GPA. Keep in mind, you might be asked about W’s on your transcript.

What about if the classes appear as W on my transcript? I got a D and an F but it doesn't actually say that in the transcript, just W.
That's exactly what you enter and it will not hurt or help your official sGPA.
But you will still enter both classes twice, once with the W and again with the A.

Reactions: 1 users