William Carey University - COM Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview on 2/22

Congrats on the interviews and good luck!

Hopefully you'll fall in love with the school as much as I did! :D

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have been accepted and are planning to attend, there is a WCU-COM Class 2015 facebook group.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted and are planning to attend, there is a WCU-COM Class 2015 facebook group.

I'm planning to attend... my transcripts need to get updated tho.
I heard they're busy moving into the new building. Woot. Woot!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if WCU-COM students can apply for HPSP (armed services scholarship) since the school is only provisionally accredited?

Does anyone know if WCU-COM students can apply for HPSP (armed services scholarship) since the school is only provisionally accredited?

I'm pretty sure a few of my classmates are getting military scholarships... I can get details if you'd like.

I'm pretty sure a few of my classmates are getting military scholarships... I can get details if you'd like.

Yeah if you hear something that would be awesome... my recruiter doesn't know he said we'll just have to wait and see board says in march.

Thanks!

Yes, HPSP is available at WCU...or any prov. accredited med school in the US.

interview invite today for 3/11. someone said that only 70 people or so have interviewed so far..is that true?

interview invite today for 3/11. someone said that only 70 people or so have interviewed so far..is that true?

First off, congrats on your interview.

On my interview day, there were only 5 people (each from a Southern state). Dr. Weir made it a point to mention that they only invite the people they want. I was accepted and I'm pretty sure the other four were as well. I've also heard interviews weren't handed out until later (correct me if I'm wrong).

One negative that I noticed was that you have a lot of large upfront costs due to FA being released during the second week of school. Some were a new laptop, the textbook software, and various other things. Unless you are out of school making money or have some saved up, these costs would be difficult to meet after the $3000 deposit. This is only something I didn't like.

The facilities and campus are very nice. I also like that they have an Oral medicine course (the goal is to provide physicians to underserved areas). Completely random, but I also noticed a Shenanigans on the way into school lol :laugh: (which is a plus).
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgOQf4NaG8[/YOUTUBE]

First off, congrats on your interview.

On my interview day, there were only 5 people (each from a Southern state). Dr. Weir made it a point to mention that they only invite the people they want. I was accepted and I'm pretty sure the other four were as well. I've also heard interviews weren't handed out until later (correct me if I'm wrong).

One negative that I noticed was that you have a lot of large upfront costs due to FA being released during the second week of school. Some were a new laptop, the textbook software, and various other things. Unless you are out of school making money or have some saved up, these costs would be difficult to meet after the $3000 deposit. This is only something I didn't like.

The facilities and campus are very nice. I also like that they have an Oral medicine course (the goal is to provide physicians to underserved areas). Completely random, but I also noticed a Shenanigans on the way into school lol :laugh: (which is a plus).
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgOQf4NaG8[/YOUTUBE]

The laptop is not required, at least it wasn't for us. It's just highly recommended because if it breaks down, they have several others on hand available as loaners for those who buy that laptop. I didn't get that laptop. As long as your computer can support the VitalSource software, as well as handle having several powerpoints and the internet up at once, you should be fine. I vaguely remember the VitalSource coming out of the tuition, and just having to sign for it rather than having to pay anything out of pocket.

Also, at one point we were given some application numbers. About 5% of those who apply get an interview, and about 80% of those that interview are accepted. They're not trying to waste your time or theirs, and really only interview people who seem like a good fit on paper. I can't recall how many have been interviewed or accepted. Good luck!

I'm IN!!! Called Dr. Weir back after listening to VM left a couple of days ago, and I am in!!! He said they were just waiting on my updated transcript. ::sigh:: This is the school I've been wanting all along. :D

Hello future classmates.:cool:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I was accepted on Jan 12 and have sent my seat deposit. When I talked to Dr. Lovins he said that more information was to come in the mail. I have not received that yet and was wondering what it is and how long it takes to get.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I was accepted on Jan 12 and have sent my seat deposit. When I talked to Dr. Lovins he said that more information was to come in the mail. I have not received that yet and was wondering what it is and how long it takes to get.

Thanks

I was accepted in November and sent in my seat deposit but haven't received anything else, either...

I spoke with Emily the other day and they are currently putting the registration packet together. She told me that they expect we will start receiving them in about a month or so.

Also. If you have not joined the class of 2015 WCUCOM facebook group we have almost 30 members who have been accepted and have decided on WCU. A lot of info about roommates and apartments is being posted.

I thought they were going to call today and let us know their decision but I didnt get a call from them.

coca has been here about accreditation stuff. so i don't know for sure, but i imagine calls may have gotten lost in the shuffle. but again, i do not know for sure. i don't know if they call everyone or just those who are accepted. i don't want to be that person to mention it, but it is a possibility as well.

got the call today, too! very quick turnaround on decisions... just interviewed a week ago.

So... what came out of the coca inspection?

Nothing unexpected. Almost all recommendations/requirements that were given are already being addressed. COCA commended the COM on it's diverse student body, the quality of the physical plant, high use of technology and the experience and high caliber of faculty.

Congrats to those accepted and committed to WCU-COM class of 2015. You all are going to love being a part of the WCU family.

I was a late applicant this year as I wasn't initially going to apply since becoming a father in December, but decided to give it a shot after all. I just got an email today inviting me to an interview! I'm very excited and can't wait to see the facilities. Anybody have any tips or advice for the interview day?

I was a late applicant this year as I wasn't initially going to apply since becoming a father in December, but decided to give it a shot after all. I just got an email today inviting me to an interview! I'm very excited and can't wait to see the facilities. Anybody have any tips or advice for the interview day?

Congrats on the interview! This place was fantastic to visit! The staff and faculty and students are incredibly nice! One thing that Dr. Weir told us in our interview group in November was that, more or less, you're there because they WANT you to be part of the school & the interview is just to check that you aren't psycho or something like that. I found a professor and a friend to ask me interview questions so that I wouldn't be as nervous when I got there.

Good luck!!:xf:

Congrats on the interview! This place was fantastic to visit! The staff and faculty and students are incredibly nice! One thing that Dr. Weir told us in our interview group in November was that, more or less, you're there because they WANT you to be part of the school & the interview is just to check that you aren't psycho or something like that. I found a professor and a friend to ask me interview questions so that I wouldn't be as nervous when I got there.

Good luck!!:xf:

So I'm assuming me being a psycho is going to pose a problem?:oops:

hey guys, interviewed 3/4 accepted 3/8!
stats: 30q mcat, 3.7 grad gpa 3.2 ugrad

I competely agree with others, the acceptance is essentially yours to lose. Truthfully, I did about 30 min prep for this interview the morning of the interview and that was about it. (i've had other interviews before this though). The interview was very casual and they are not out to get you. I definitely stuttered a little bit and did not give answers as well as I should have. It still resulted in an acceptance. Don't get me wrong I didn't bomb it or anything and still gave good answers but pretty much just said what came to me at the time. If you get the interview, your prettyyyy much in.

Hey y'all. I'm currently on Army HPSP. If you need any information on military scholarships/incentives let me know.

Congrats to those that have been accepted!
I'm applying to medical school this year for 2012 class and am considering the HPSP. Do you know if it's true that the military can pick your speciality? Also, may I ask which recruiter you have spoken with?

Thanks for your time.

Congrats to all of you receiving acceptance. My friend got hers today from Dr.Weir and is very excited. I hope to be in the class behind you all next year.

I'm applying for 2012 and am just wondering if any of you accepted were in the situation I am in...

I'm not the perfect candidate. I have a lower GPA (3.1), average MCAT (25), volunteer work, honor societies, and lots of ECs. I made a big mistake in my academics that really hurt my GPA, but I retook the classes and made all A's the entire time. I've also been an RN for the past 8 years. I just worry that all this may not be good enough for William Carey and was hoping some of you might be able to give me some hope with your stories of trials.

I know that DO programs forgive grades, which I am taking advantage of, but I retook a couple classes 3 times before I got an A. Any of you like me?

Thanks and congratulations to everyone.

I'm applying for 2012 and am just wondering if any of you accepted were in the situation I am in...

I'm not the perfect candidate. I have a lower GPA (3.1), average MCAT (25), volunteer work, honor societies, and lots of ECs. I made a big mistake in my academics that really hurt my GPA, but I retook the classes and made all A's the entire time. I've also been an RN for the past 8 years. I just worry that all this may not be good enough for William Carey and was hoping some of you might be able to give me some hope with your stories of trials.

I know that DO programs forgive grades, which I am taking advantage of, but I retook a couple classes 3 times before I got an A. Any of you like me?

I had a lot of financial trouble and some obstacles in my road trying to get into medical school. 2.99 GPA, 26Q MCAT, but tons of shadowing and experience I was interviewed in November and accepted in November. WCU looks more at numbers, trust me. Good luck!

Hey Darle,

It's great that you're retaking your classes. When I interviewed at WCU-COM in Nov. my scigpa was around yours too(but higher cum Gpa). Focus on showing them why you're passionate about medicine. Make sure to have a lot of clinical experience(of course you do, being an RN!). This was my first interview, and despite nerves they really care about students beyond just grades. I was convinced I didn't so good in my interview. But, after my grades were updated (retook 2 old classes where I had C's and some new classes), I was accepted with a ~3.3scigpa, and ~3.5cumGpa and a pretty solid MCAT score. Essentially, I made sure to take higher level science classes and had an upwards trend.

I would suggest you perfect your personal statement so that it comes from the heart. If you get the secondary, clearly reflect on why you want WCU. Best of luck.

Last edited:
It seems that they are very fast and efficient in their decision making process.

Wm Carey is one of my top choices but for a variety of reasons, I just got my secondary in before the deadline and will be interviewing there April 19th. I look forward to the interview and seeing the school. :)

It seems that they are very fast and efficient in their decision making process.

Wm Carey is one of my top choices but for a variety of reasons, I just got my secondary in before the deadline and will be interviewing there April 19th. I look forward to the interview and seeing the school. :)

Good luck!!!! WHen accepted, join the Facebook group!

is there a clinical rotations manual online for wcu-com or does anyone know how rotations are scheduled?

I see on the WCU-COM website that they teach with a practice based learning model.....is this similar to problem based learning?

Sorry to ask a dumb question on here, but even google couldn't answer it for me.

I see on the WCU-COM website that they teach with a practice based learning model.....is this similar to problem based learning?

Sorry to ask a dumb question on here, but even google couldn't answer it for me.

Although Practice-based learning encompases Problem based solving... Practice-based refers to narrowing the scope of medicine taught towards primary care....

Correct me if Im wrong.

To the incoming class of 2015, I am currently an OMS1 at WCU-COM and would like to begin corresponding with prospective students that will definitely be attending next year about a project. I am interested in continuing the msdostudents.com website that was started last year and need the help of one or more of you that might be interested in providing this service for your classmates by maintaining the student website. This role requires some basic knowledge of webpage design. Since this is a continuous but time consuming effort, your knowledge base may not increase much once school begins that's why it's better to have a good foundation of the web protocol before the end of the summer. If more than one student gets involved it may not be as demanding to keep the website current or make additions as time permits. The main responsibility entails posting lecture recordings for fellow students. If you have any technical skills or would like to learn more then please contact me at [email protected]

I interviewed 4/5 and was very pleased with this school. I think great things are in store for WCU-COM. Everything was shiny and new, and the OMM lab was impressive. My first impression of the school was very comforting as several students headed to their physiology class noticed myself and a couple other interviewees all dressed up and came over to give us encouragement. The dean walked up to me and already knew me by name and face. I know this is just a simple matter of looking at the secondaries the day before, and memorizing, but it still made me feel welcome. Dr. Weir reiterated that he was stingy with sending out secondaries and even more stingy when it comes to interviews which was comforting. At times I felt as if I were already accepted. The lunch with the current OMS-1's was informative and showed the friendly nature of the university. The interview was very relaxed. They asked the typical questions and Dr. Jones seemed particularly friendly and interested in what I had to say. They seemed very interested in my background of working in a rural hospital for nearly 4 years. All three interviewers were very kind and made the experience pleasant and encouraging. I cannot wait to hear from Dr. Weir on Monday and hope for the best.

I have not received my registration packet either. My guess is that they are waiting for the the class to become full so all of them can be sent at the same time. If anyone knows anything else please keep us updated. Thanks everyone.