Will anyone read my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cough

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm more or less done with my personal statement, but I'm a bit concerned about the whole science vs. medicine dichotomy. I work with physician scientists, and that's given me a chance to sort out the juxtaposition of hard-core science and compassionate medicine...but I need to be able to convey that in this essay. I'm applying MD/PhD, but I want to be sure I don't get booted for the MD component of the application.

Vader and other successful applicants/current students, I'd especially appreciate your input. :p

I've posted my essay at
<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/coughmac/FileSharing1.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/coughmac/FileSharing1.html</a>

The server seems to be a bit fickle about capitalizing the letters in the web address, so just keep that in mind. I put the file in Word (Macintosh) and rich text format, and hopefully one will work. :p

I'm going to try to send my application out on wednesday, but if you have a chance to send some comments before then I'd really appreciate it. If you do, please email them to me rather than using a private message.

Thanks a million,
Cough (Chris Kauffman)
[email protected]

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you might want to have someone proofread the essay--there were some uncomfortable shifts of tenses.

e.g. "What I found, though, is [was] a world of research motivated by clinical needs"

there were actually several places where this happened.

good luck!

P.S. It's a pretty good essay :-D

Very interesting and sharp. I like it!

Members don't see this ad :)
i liked it quite a bit too; a really compelling story. there are a ton of grammatical errors (comma misuses) but otherwise its relly great. reads like a classic. hmm ... still working on mine (thanks to originals comments :) ).

enjoy,
-jot

OK guys, thanks a bunch for your input. Sluox, I'm going to fix all the tense shifts. And I'll give the whole thing a fine tuning before sending it out.

Yours truly,
Cough