Wilderness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flighterdoc

Rocket Scientist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a great sub-forum!

Is there a listing anywhere of FP programs with a wilderness emphasis? I know about the Montana, Alaska and Maine programs but is that it?

I'd rather take Rural to the extreme :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Fresno has a Wilderness program but i'm not positive. Try searching the Wilderness Medicine Society. They also offer a "fellowship" in wilderness medicine which basically consists of attending a bunch of confrences and doing some modules. I don't know where it would get you in the long run, but you meet a lot of new friends.

flighterdoc said:

Is there a listing anywhere of FP programs with a wilderness emphasis? I know about the Montana, Alaska and Maine programs but is that it?

Thanks!

swaamedic said:
I think Fresno has a Wilderness program but i'm not positive. Try searching the Wilderness Medicine Society. They also offer a "fellowship" in wilderness medicine which basically consists of attending a bunch of confrences and doing some modules. I don't know where it would get you in the long run, but you meet a lot of new friends.

interesting - didn't know they did this sort of thing.

I bet this type of program would really suit those who are hard core missionary types who go on to practice in third world nations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad. @ss.

I've heard of me schools offering electives to residents and students, but I've never heard of a track or fellowship. That's freaking cool. I'm a city boy and cub scout DROP-OUT, and I consider laying out by the pool as being out in the "wilderness" myself. While 3 years in Montana or Alaska may as well be 3 years of hardship building the Trans-Siberia railroad with a screwdriver, I think it would be cool to round up some FM and EM residents and do a 1-week CME for fun.

Not knowing anything, Montana program sounds pretty structured. I googled "wilderness" and "family medicine" and found lots of sites. Marshall (WV) apparently has a track too to add to your list and there are some faculty members at Reno, NV who have interests in wilderness med.

Keith Brown from U Nebraska has a course (http://www.gmrsltd.com) in Belize for residents and medical students, but I'm guessing you're looking for something more intense.

Other CME's from the search was: www.wilderness-medicine.com and www.wms.org has a good list of CMEs through out the year.

Keep us posted as to what you think are good ones and which ones are just lame.

flighterdoc said:

Thanks!

there is another FM program in Colorado that emphasis rural, I'll dig through my stuff to try and find it later. eta: St. Mary's FM

Residency Program Curriculum

The format is 13 four-week blocks.

Our curriculum meets all requirements for the AAFP, American Board of Family Medicine and the ACGME.

Ambulatory Care: 2 weeks — Just like a real practice

Business/Practice Management: 1 week intensive experience with faculty and key professionals (in and out of our office) and longitudinally-topics at Education Day, Colorado Physicians Insurance Company Practice Management Class, AAFP Residency to Reality course.

Cardiology: 1 block; local cardiologist group

Chief Resident: 2 blocks in 3rd year; oversee the inpatient service as a junior attending; 8 call nights

Community Medicine: 2 blocks, exposure to local programs and clinic procedures; about 3 call days total

Dermatology: 3 weeks; w/dermatologist group

Electives: 5 blocks-planned with your mentor to meet your individual interests. There is a wide variety of elective options to cover any special interests and to tailor your education.

ER: 1 block

Gynecology: 1 block, work in family planning clinic at Public Health w/focus on procedures including colposcopy

Internal Medicine: 7 ½ blocks at SMH; includes ICU care; q4 call

Neurology: 2 weeks; w/ neurologist group

Night Float (Mole): 8 weeks; 6pm-7am shifts M-F covering phone calls and ER visits for our practice

Obstetrics: 3 blocks; q4 call

Orthopedics: 1 block; w/orthopedics group

Pediatrics: 4 blocks total

* Denver General-Pediatric Urgent Care Clinic: 1 block, no night call
* NICU: 1 block; 1 on 1 with a neonatologist
* Pediatrics: 2 blocks with pediatric group, real life inpatient and outpatient experiences.

Psychology: 1 week and longitudinally

Rural: 1 block; Buena Vista, CO, population 2,150, with two of our graduates (where morning rush hour traffic may be a herd of elk!)

Sports Medicine/Orthopedics at Copper Mountain Resort: 1 block (paradise!)

Surgery: 2 blocks, about 5 call days
Surgery Subspecialties:

Ophthalmology: 2 weeks; w/ophthalmologist group

ENT: 3 weeks; w/ENT group

Urology: 2 weeks; w/urologist group​

If I was even remotely interested in FM, I might consider this one,