Why Neurology over Neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CutIt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, have/are any of you considering neurosurgery? If not, what were your reasons for choosing neurology (assuming of course that NS was even one of your choices)?

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning on applying to both neuro and ns until recently. The reasons why I choose neuro over ns are: 1)able to do research and work part-time as a neurologist--as a surgeon you better spend all your time perfecting your surgical skill. I wouldn't want to be operated by a part-time neurosurgeon. 2)life style. I really enjoyed my time in the OR while doing general surgery and neurosurgery, but I would hate to get up everyday at 5am for the next 30-40 years. Furthermore, neurosurg cases are so long...I don't think I have the stamina to do 12hr+ cases on a regular basis. 3)Fellowship after residency: there are many opportunities for neurologists who prefer to use their hands --the recently approved interventional neuroradiology fellowship (I think one in alabama and another at UCLA, more locations will be available by the time we finish residency) for neurologist is one, and there is neurointensive care fellowship as well. 4) personally I just found it's too damn hard to get a good letter from a neurosurgeon who knows me well. Every time they scrub in the cases then scrub out. sometimes they would ask me questions while other times completely ignore my presence. There really isn't much we can do in a neurosurg case to impress the attendings.

Could someone please elaborate on the future and current "hands-on" fellowships that are available?

I thought that INR was a fellowship after completing a Radiology residency. One of my main concerns about neurology is the lack of invasive, instant "treatments," that exist....this is new light to an issue that I have been thinking about.....

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Careofme
Could someone please elaborate on the future and current "hands-on" fellowships that are available?

I thought that INR was a fellowship after completing a Radiology residency. One of my main concerns about neurology is the lack of invasive, instant "treatments," that exist....this is new light to an issue that I have been thinking about.....

Thanks in advance.

bump!