Why Nephrology is so unpopular sub-speciality in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer HitchHiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't stop asking myself that question as I see it as a very powerful IM sub-speciality with a lot of exposure to other fields like Endocrine, CVS and Immunology, that would make a very competent physician.
Is it the lifestyle? the compensations? the job market?
Is there a bright aspect in being a nephrologist in Us?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't stop asking myself that question as I see it as a very powerful IM sub-speciality with a lot of exposure to other fields like Endocrine, CVS and Immunology, that would make a very competent physician.

Don’t know why you took the time to make a new thread when there are plenty of threads already discussing this ?

I can’t stop asking myself this question .

Reactions: 1 users
lol, maybe it's denial and i don't want to beleive what i just read so was looking for a different opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
I showed partial restraint by not going into my tirade.

Seriously see prior threads .

I like the discipline of nephrology but not the practice of being a nephrologist .

I find having a nephrology board certification very good value added to PMD. But there are only so many prior authorizations I am willing to do after my charts notes .
(I do it online where it’s somewhat more bearable)

Reactions: 1 users

You got all three of them: bad lifestyle (emergent HD overnight), bad compensations (worse than general medicine) and bad job market (much worse than most specialties) at least currently I heard

Reactions: 2 users