Why is right IJV larger than left?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knock0ut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got this pimp question .... any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped a line in a patient with a markedly larger right IJV, though I wasn’t aware the variation existed. Looking online, it’s also more superficial and some people recommend it for all CVCs if possible:shrug:

Shorter distance/straighter shot to the heart = less vascular resistance = preferential flow increasing caliber over lifetime would be my answer.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
Straighter shot from RV leads to backpressure seen on JVP waves, do that over a lifetime and you got adaptation? Dunno

Turns out that in most people, the right IJV is bigger. It also turns out that in most people the superior sagittal sinus drains blood into the right transverse sinus, which drains into the right sigmoid sinus, which drains into the right IJV. In contrast, the straight sinus (from the inferior sagittal sinus) drains into the left transverse/sigmoid/IJV. Superior sagittal drains more blood than inferior sagittal, so the right sided track has a larger caliber.

Reactions: 1 user
What a clinically insignificant pimp question... We're talking like 1-2 mm difference

What a clinically insignificant pimp question... We're talking like 1-2 mm difference

It’s not all that clinically insignificant when evidence shows patients who receive central veins in the right IJV do better than the left

It’s not all that clinically insignificant when evidence shows patients who receive central veins in the right IJV do better than the left

Citation needed.

Also, Still is clinically insignificant. The reason why people would have an easier time with the right IJ is it is a straight shot to the right atrium. It doesn't have to make the turn to the SVC. Not because it is a millimeter larger .

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user