Why go into pharmacy if it's saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

• Total voters

PharmtoCS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ya know, I spoke with a few classmates recently and if we could choose a career again, not many of us would choose pharmacy again. Some were happy with their situation, and if they could follow the exact same path they would.

However the overwhelming consensus was that if we were graduating high school this year we would not do prepharmacy now.

Can you add "I am Asian" to the list? :shifty:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a student, but I was so I voted on what I believed when I used to be a student.

You should add "I did no research in the field and don't know it's saturated" and "my school told me all of their grads find jobs"

Reactions: 9 users
You should add "I did no research in the field and don't know it's saturated" and "my school told me all of their grads find jobs"

Those statistics that they post seem completely made up.

Those statistics that they post seem completely made up.
Because

1) They count residency/fellowship/per diem/part time job placement as “found a job”

2) They only get this information from surveying their new grads/alumni so there is massive nonresponse bias. If you are an unemployed new grad you are probably going through some combination of regret, remorse, anger and shame — are you really going to fill out a survey and report back to your school that you are unemployed?

Reactions: 4 users
^ exactly. Those who end up unemployed aren’t going to announce to the world that they couldn’t find a job.

Those who were hoping for a clinical or industry job but ended up getting stuck in retail are probably also too embarrassed to let others know.

Those who were hoping for a clinical or industry job but ended up getting stuck in retail are probably also too embarrassed to let others know.
We need to start telling students that it’s a PRIVILEGE just to even work retail nowadays.

Reactions: 5 users
I see only 3 or so responses from actual pre-pharms.

We need to start telling students that it’s a PRIVILEGE just to even work retail nowadays.

Which they should already know. But their expectations are skewed because we're giving them participation trophies, diplomas, acceptances into doctorate programs, and $200k+ in student loans just for having a pulse.

Reactions: 2 users
Which they should already know. But their expectations are skewed because we're giving them participation trophies, diplomas, acceptances into doctorate programs, and $200k+ in student loans just for having a pulse.

There's a thread about a new grad who has been unemployed for 7 months and didn't even apply to CVS. Talk about entitled.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a thread about a new grad who has been unemployed for 7 months and didn't even apply to CVS. Talk about entitled.
“I deserve to be a clinical pharmacist because that’s what I’m interested in and what my school trained me to do. I don’t think the job market is bad, there are jobs out there and I just have to look harder.”

• Haha
I thought math and science was the coolest thing that everyone was into. Didnt the government say, with advancing science education, this nation will be great...

Worked in different pharmacy settings both civilian and military. Now a disabled veteran (friggin' blackhawks and repel ropes) getting school, housing, and books covered with a tax exempt monthly compensation. Of course, I had to pick a 3 year expedited course to consume my life endeavors but getting paid to go to school and work a handful of years to reach FIRE is of course the end goal even at part time work... So there's that I guess.

Worked in different pharmacy settings both civilian and military. Now a disabled veteran (friggin' blackhawks and repel ropes) getting school, housing, and books covered with a tax exempt monthly compensation. Of course, I had to pick a 3 year expedited course to consume my life endeavors but getting paid to go to school and work a handful of years to reach FIRE is of course the end goal even at part time work... So there's that I guess.
What’s your plan after graduation? Do you have a special in to a VA or gov’t job because you’re a vet?

What’s your plan after graduation? Do you have a special in to a VA or gov’t job because you’re a vet?

Of course nothing is a guarantee but yes. The VA has a priority point system for veteran status as well as disabled veteran status. Should I get on with the VA I would also do a buy-back plan to count my past military years toward their pension packet in hopes to supplement that with my current stream of income.

Of course nothing is a guarantee but yes. The VA has a priority point system for veteran status as well as disabled veteran status. Should I get on with the VA I would also do a buy-back plan to count my past military years toward their pension packet in hopes to supplement that with my current stream of income.
This probably is the most secure way to get a job. I thought about going into the military so i can get my loans paid off as well. This was when I first graduated 4 years ago. Only problem was the pay. You're taking a 30-40% pay cut. I may still consider this depending on how the pharmacy world changes...

TBH, @BC_89 is probably the only person on this forum who has convinced me that pharmacy has a great chance of working out for them. They have little to nothing to lose by going to pharmacy school. Even if I’m the worst case they failed out or graduated with no job in hand they would still have no debt and a guaranteed stream of income.

There are always going to be people for whom PharmD will be a golden ticket to a rewarding (financially and professionally) career. Something like 5% of the 15,000. It's just that a far larger percent of students will believe THEY will be in those 5% until the very moment reality smacks them upside the head. This age of "protecting privacy" and "sparing the feelings" makes it harder to accurately judge one's abilities vs. one's peers, both because information is harder to obtain but mainly because there is no incentive to do so, instead everyone is indoctrinated to view themselves as a speshul snowflake.

other poll (potential) entries:

- I really want to drive for Uber and/ or deliver pizzas (it's muh passion!)

- I never want to leave my parent's basement- I feel so safe there...

- I like being made fun of by existing pharmacists

- my name is NEO- we all live in the Matrix and if I concentrate hard enough pharmacists will get provider status

(more as they come to me...)

other poll (potential) entries:

- I really want to drive for Uber and/ or deliver pizzas (it's muh passion!)

- I never want to leave my parent's basement- I feel so safe there...

- I like being made fun of by existing pharmacists

- my name is NEO- we all live in the Matrix and if I concentrate hard enough pharmacists will get provider status

(more as they come to me...)

If you went into a profession for money or your parents made you then that will be a disappointment. Go to a profession which will make you happy. Learn Pharmacy and be proud of who you are, not moan... maybe you are not getting the job because you are not good enough. Try to be smarter/better than other people in your profession and have good ethics, you will always find a job.

If you went into a profession for money or your parents made you then that will be a disappointment. Go to a profession which will make you happy. Learn Pharmacy and be proud of who you are, not moan... maybe you are not getting the job because you are not good enough. Try to be smarter/better than other people in your profession and have good ethics, you will always find a job.

If you signed up for the Hunger Games for money or fame or your parents made you then that will be a disappointment. Sign up for the Hunger Games if make you happy. Learn how to kill your fellow tributes and be proud of who you are, not moan... maybe you are not winning because you are not good enough. Try to be smarter/better/stronger than other people in the Hunger Games and have good ethics, you will always be the victor.

If you jumped onto a sinking ship for money or your parents made you then that will be a disappointment. Jump on a sinking ship if it will make you happy. Learn how to beg and plead for a seat in lifeboat and be proud of who you are, not moan (oh wait...)... maybe you are not able to get a lifeboat because you are not good enough. Try to be smarter/less ethical than other people on board and have good ethics (oh wait!), you will always survive the shipwreck.

• Haha

Please tell us how to be smarter/better when there are literally 300 applicants for one job posting? All 300 applicants have good ethics.

Are you currently an employed pharmacist?

^ exactly. Those who end up unemployed aren’t going to announce to the world that they couldn’t find a job.

I'm a pharmacist working at Walmart as a Stocker Pharmacist.

This probably is the most secure way to get a job. I thought about going into the military so i can get my loans paid off as well. This was when I first graduated 4 years ago. Only problem was the pay. You're taking a 30-40% pay cut. I may still consider this depending on how the pharmacy world changes...
Military pharmacy still beats CVS and Walgreens

Military pharmacy still beats CVS and Walgreens
You might want to ask up the chain and inquire about how many they expect to commission in the future...

Last edited:
Because pre-Pharms believe by going to a “top pharmacy school” that they will be safe from job saturation and have a better chance at those unicorn jobs. The fact is majority of the jobs are retail jobs and the truth is CVS doesn’t care whether you graduated from Larkin or University of Kentucky’s School of Pharmacy. Also, the public does not care whether you graduated from a top pharmacy school