Why do most people have gingivitis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teethexpert

Reaction score
To elaborate on the question, why do most people have gingivitis when the initial lesion / stage of gingivitis develops within 2 - 4 days of the accumulation of plaque.

So this means that you need to allow the plaque to remain undisturbed by not brushing for 2 - 4 days for the first stage of gingivitis to occur right?

But I am curious as to why most people have gingivitis when the vast majority of the population brush at least once a day and have not allowed the plaque to accumulate for the 2 - 4 days required for the initial stage of gingivitis.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t brush properly, long enough, or floss. Therefore plaque accumulates.

Reactions: 2 users
Because no one is perfect. No one brushes perfectly, every tooth surface, twice a day, every day. Some surfaces get missed, some days/brushes are lazier. Thus, 0-15 % gingivitis or BOP is classified as 'normal' or physiologic, i.e. does not cause pathology. Aiming for 100 % in life is the correct goal, but expecting it in an imperfect world is what causes problems. The enemy of good is perfect.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an expert on this subject but I suspect that it may have something to do with our modern diet and the bacteria that colonize our mouths via vertical and horizontal transmission.