Why did you choose to get a MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ordinaryguy

What are your reasons why you choose to get a MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

To treat population instead of individuals. Just joking.
I choose public health because I will like to work with nonprofit organization help third world country, or here in State low income communities. Love Public health, but the last 2 years want to pursue medicine. I didn?t use MPH as a stepping stone; however, with public health experience I believe I will be a better doctor. For instance for preventive medicine you need MPH or some kind of public health course and training. Not all of us get MPH for the same reason some use it so they can get in medical, dental, pharmacy so on school.

I chose to do an MPH before going into medicine because I wanted to focus on learning how to run health promotion programs in a community setting. I received two solid years of training on program planning and evaluation, plus learned a great deal on statistics, health policy, and epi. I felt like with these skills I could combine medicine with health promotion activities. It's been a dream of mine to start a community health center that does just that.

For my thesis I was able to do research and data analysis, reporting my findings at the APHA conference and applying what I learned through program planning. It was a very rewarding experience.

After I received my MPH I deferred med school and worked at the CDC. I got the federal level perspective of public health and went on to work at a community health center to get a local level perspective. In a few months I'll be starting med school (DO!) and don't regret a single bit about taking the time to learn about public health seriously, before the long med school path begins.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm similar to Avon, except I'm still working at CDC and applying to med school now. In adolescence, I always knew that I wanted to open and practice in free health clinics in inner cities In my sophomore yr of college, I took an intro to public health course and knew that was exactly what I was looking for. I then opted on getting the MPH first and working a bit before trying to apply to med school. I majored in Health Behavior/Health Education. So now I'm doing a fellowship, and we'll see where the rest of this road takes me. :)

Also Avon, I went to APHA too (did not present, first timer), and I'm in love with San Francisco :love:

San Francisco is great isn't it! NYC and SF are both great cities.
Good luck with your med school apps, I'm sure your CDC fellowship will help your application a lot. I felt like my public health experience enabled me to bring something substantial to the med school table. Having those skills and theoretical background will help us both in attaining our goals. Who knows, if your future med school has a MPH program you can TA or even teach a into MPH course and make some money on the side. I'm planning on looking into that.

Thanks for the well wishes! I feel a lot more prepared and mature having worked for what will be two years before returning to school. Also, many of the schools that I've applied to have MPH programs, so I would definitely look into TA'ing, esp. if it's an undergraduate course. Best of luch with school! :)