Whole Brain After H&N RT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a patient that has comprehensive neck definitive chemo RT in 2015 now has 8 or 9 brain mets from small cell lung that developed over a short time period, all above the tentorium not symptomatic ranging between .5 and 1.8cm. Anyone w experience in this situation giving whole brain, how do you plan this and manage constraints. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you do not want wish to perform SRS (which I can understand given the number of mets and histology), I would plan with IMRT/VMAT.
Just contour brain and then transfer the isodoses from the H&N treatment plan to your current planning CT.

Prescribing depends on several factors:
- life expectancy
- functional status
- where the mets currently are (within/outside prior H&N treated volumes)

I wouln't be all to concerned about causing toxicity. Brain tissue that has seen a dose of 40-50 Gy in 2015 can still well manage 10 x 3 Gy WBRT which is given 7 years later. We know that from GBM retreatment, where we often given hypofractionated 25-35 Gy after 30 x 2 Gy within a shorter time frame. You could however also do something like "WBRT with 10 x 3 Gy to areas outside the previously irradiated brain volume and 10 x 2.5 Gy to areas within that volume". If you go for IMRT, you can easily focally boost (SIB) those macroscopic brain mets (although we have no hard data to support dose escalation here).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on dose received at base of skull. If base of skull structures got full dose then I do IMRT 20/10 at optic pathway and brainstem, 30/10 to rest of brain. If base of skull structures got say 30 Gy max before they can take a full 30/10 now IMO. I don't worry about brain dose for something that long ago.

Reactions: 9 users
The worry with re-irradiation of CNS is the cumulative late effects... euphemistically known as the total BED Gy-2 (or BED Gy-3 depending on your particular radiobiological proclivities) of all the plans/courses... assuming there's no forgiveness from previous RT courses (this is a wrong but very safe/conservative assumption). One way to lower total BED Gy-2/Gy-3 in reirradiation situations is to give the reirradiation at the same planned total dose in smaller fractions but over the same total elapsed time period; ie, BID RT. The brain handles BID RT just fine to 40 Gy at 2 Gy fractions. Thus 30 Gy in 1.5 Gy fractions is a WBRT chip shot, but it's a chip shot that will still exterminate a lot of SCLC cells. I would give 30 Gy/20 fx's WBRT (there are definitely lesions up there you CAN'T see) BID over 2 weeks... all the lesions (if they're smallish) will disappear, so definitely get a pre-RT "planning MRI." You could do "involved site" post-WBRT stereo boosts to the pre-RT met volumes with 2 or 3 fractions of 5 Gy each. SCLC seems like a disease for us to always be looking to find an excuse to think twice-a-day in my book.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree. Just do normal WBRT 30/10. May consider field reduction after 24 Gy if feeling particularly skittish

My only scenario I'd be concerned would be if it was like a bad nasopharynx/nasal cavity tumor with concern of significant dose (agree with 30Gy as a cut-off) really to optics alone, or previous high dose (say 54-60Gy) to say brainstem.

For a run of the mill nasopharynx or pretty much any primary lower (even if treating high level IIs) I wouldn't really worry.

That being said, given overlap you would have justification for IMRT if you wanted

Reactions: 1 user