Who is eligible to do a post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is eligible to do a post bac, is it open only to non science majors, people who decided to do premed to late, minority students, or anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

It really, really depends.

Some postbacs are designed specifically for those with a BA, but few (or even no) science credits. Some are designed for those who have a science background that is academically weak. Some are specifically for those who have applied to med school already, but didn't get in the first time.

Look at the Web info for programs you might be into, and see what they have to offer.

An info page about types of Postbacs:
http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/lsac/health/apply/postbacc.shtml

A llisting of all the programs the AAMC knows about:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

...and I sincerely hope I can say this as politely and respectfully as I mean it to sound, but you're going to have to become adept at doing your own research. A big part of postbac is, in essence, proving that you're a good fit for a med school. The process of selecting a program that will be good for you, and one where you will succeed, will be a valuable part of developing yourself as a scholar. The enormity and complexity of finding this program will pale next to the process of getting through it, and into med school. But you have to start someplace, and SDN can be a good resource (as well as a pain sometimes). Good luck!

Originally posted by Febrifuge

Some postbacs are designed specifically for those with a BA, but few (or even no) science credits. Some are designed for those who have a science background that is academically weak. Some are specifically for those who have applied to med school already, but didn't get in the first time.

Look at the Web info for programs you might be into, and see what they have to offer.

...and I sincerely hope I can say this as politely and respectfully as I mean it to sound, but you're going to have to become adept at doing your own research. A big part of postbac is, in essence, proving that you're a good fit for a med school. The process of selecting a program that will be good for you, and one where you will succeed, will be a valuable part of developing yourself as a scholar. The enormity and complexity of finding this program will pale next to the process of getting through it, and into med school. But you have to start someplace, and SDN can be a good resource (as well as a pain sometimes). Good luck!

Yea I know I should do my own research, but I ve never really thought about doing a post bacc before this was actually the first time I really thought about it, and plus I felt lazy.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said before I never really thought about doing a post bacc before, I was intending to do a masters programm. Can anyone tell me the differences between a masters programm and a post bacc programm. Thanks.:)

Any Master's program that would be of any use in med admission would most likely be geared towards those who already have a decent science background. You could probably get an MPH without too much science background, but the MS programs are usually going to require you to bring a decent foundation of science to the table. Post-baccs can vary a great deal. Many are for those without science backgrounds who want to take the pre-reqs, and many of those programs are also geared towards URM's. Other post-baccs are geared towards those who wish to improve upon their undergrad science grades, as they may not be too strong. Basically you just have to look around and do lots of research. I went the Master's route, and that's where I am right now, though I applied to both MS and post-bacc programs.

Originally posted by ornis4
Any Master's program that would be of any use in med admission would most likely be geared towards those who already have a decent science background. You could probably get an MPH without too much science background, but the MS programs are usually going to require you to bring a decent foundation of science to the table. Post-baccs can vary a great deal. Many are for those without science backgrounds who want to take the pre-reqs, and many of those programs are also geared towards URM's. Other post-baccs are geared towards those who wish to improve upon their undergrad science grades, as they may not be too strong. Basically you just have to look around and do lots of research. I went the Master's route, and that's where I am right now, though I applied to both MS and post-bacc programs.

Where are u doing ur masters?

Originally posted by Febrifuge

It seems like almost all of the post bacc programms are for disadvantaged people. Are there any for not disadvantaged poeple?

It seems like a lot of post bacc programms are for people who want to retake their premed prereqs, are there any post bacc programms for bio majors?