who has research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought since its a topic that comes up a lot and is important, Id invite everyone here who is currently in a rad onc program or who has match to chime in on if they had done research prior to entering residency, and if so, was it basic or clinical or both?
Steph

Members don't see this ad.

i took a year off to pursue basic science bioinformatic and genomic research. at the time i didn't know that i would be going into rad onc. i was involved in multiple projects, mostly involving cancer, and had multiple 2nd and middle author publications in mid-tier journals. none of the publications were specifically in rad onc, but i was asked about my research interests and the reason why i took time off in literally every interview. i loved my experience and still love it, so i didn't mind talking about it at all! i know it helped me. my research mentor also wrote me a kick a$$ letter, which was also mentioned in most of my interviews.

my numbers--3.5gpa, honors in surgery, psych, neurology, medicine, rad onc (1 at home and 1 away), boards in the 211 step 1, not aoa.

i matched at my #5 choice out of 14 ranked, not at either of the places i rotated through (which i ranked higher). Very happy with the end result and CANT WAIT UNTIL internship is over!!! i'm writing this at 2am, with 1 admission left to see!!! radonc is totally worth it...

i didn't have the numbers...just the love....and it paid off....
go for it if it's what you want to do.

I did research in non-ionizing radiation, primarily focusing on laser surgery, but also some in diagnostic applications. My research was not rad onc or onc related, but it was heavily technical and involved lots of lab bench work. I was 1st author in 4 manuscripts and a few as a 2nd or contributing author. I presented at a national scientific conference and had a few posters and abstracts.

I started my research during the summer after MS1, then put in a whole year between MS2/MS3. I received the Whitaker Foundation Biomechnical Engineering Research Fellowship and the Alpha Omega Alpha Student Research Grant.

I also submitted a clinical case report regarding a patient who had a sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma.

On my interview trails, my research experience was brought up in discussion half of the time. So did my experience help? Not necessarily, but I'm sure it helped me get into the program I'm at now.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is great; thanks to the both of you. Dr Fletcher, you'll really love it.

Anyone else? Anyone with no research experience?

minimal research, no publications.

GPA 3.75; A on Medicine, Psych, Surgery, Neuro, OB/GYN, Rad Onc (my school did not have Honors); board scores step 1: 220s, step 2: 230s; liberal arts undergraduate degree; took 1 pre-med physics course; did not take any time off during med school to do any research; my med school did not have a rad onc residency program; did 1 away rotation...

matched at my 3rd choice. can't wait to start next year.... especially after this brutal year of internship (i made the BIG mistake of going to a highly ranked medicine program for internship)

so while being a MD/PhD and/or having research with publications offers a significant advantage to get interviews (seemed like atleast 80% of the folks i interviewed with fell in one of those two boats); it is not impossible to match without either.