White Coats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chriseli

Mom. Wife. Neo-to-be.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am completely ready to destroy my short, stubby white coat of student-hood, I thought now would be a good idea to look into adding more fabric to my repetoire...:idea:

Where are you guys buying your long white coats? Anyone have any preferences or recently gotten suggestions? What's a good standard length?

Members don't see this ad.

As I am completely ready to destroy my short, stubby white coat of student-hood, I thought now would be a good idea to look into adding more fabric to my repetoire...:idea:

Where are you guys buying your long white coats? Anyone have any preferences or recently gotten suggestions? What's a good standard length?

I do not wear a white coat with the kiddies

I do not wear a white coat with the kiddies

I did not put on a white coat in my 3 years in residency or since -- of course I wear ACUs every day now. Our hospital provided coats, which is pretty common these days due to infection control.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not put on a white coat in my 3 years in residency or since -- of course I wear ACUs every day now. Our hospital provided coats, which is pretty common these days due to infection control.

Ed

Same here, I never put on a white coat despite it being required when walking around the hospital in scrubs. I acutally think the ACUs make my patients more at ease...it's what mommy and daddy wear.

What are ACU's?

chriseli,
My program doesn't provide or require white coats, but all the residents I've seen wear one. I think most of them order their coats from the bookstore at the affiliated med school. That's probably what I'll be doing.

What are ACU's?

I was wondering when someone would ask that.

ACUs are the Army Combat Uniform. This has replaced BDUs, the Battle Dress Uniform. On most days, I wear A2CUs which are really AACUs, but pronounced ATCUs. This stands for Army Aviation Combat Uniform. This replaced the ABDU which was the Aviation Battle Dress Uniform.

In the military, you have to learn to speak in acronyms.

The good news, I don't have to decide what to wear everyday or to own any civilian cloths right now. Saves me a bunch of money.

Ed

So depending on the program, I think some programs pay for your white coat so perhaps ask your program to see what the protocol is. That way, you might save yourself $40.

If your program doesn't provide anything, I think Red Kap lab coats are an option (or search for lab coats online and you can find a host of places to purchase).

Cheers and congrats,
Andy

Damn I miss my military days when I didn't have to think about what I was going to wear every day!