Medical Which state of residence should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a senior at UCLA applying to medical school this cycle.
I grew up in Texas, graduated from a Texas high school, have a driver's license there, and intend on doing a gap year there as well. Additionally, my parents are divorced and my father is currently residing in Texas.
However, in the middle of my sophomore year, me and my mother moved to Georgia. I am claimed as her dependent and have spent some time in Georgia over breaks.
I am currently living in LA to be on the UCLA campus and have spent the vast part of the last 4 years here.

I am extremely confused as to which state would be my state of residence. I would like it to be Texas as I greatly prefer Texas medical schools to Georgia and California ones.

Do you know which state I would come under and how I would best apply?
You aren't a resident in CA unless you've worked there for a year or so. Students don't qualify as CA residents by this definition.

It seems that if you are present in Texas and live there (and plan to live there during application cycle), you could state your residence as being in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

In general Full Time undergraduate students don't change their state of residence during their time at school. It isn't the kind of thing that happens accidently.

However, glancing at several Texas school residency FAQ's, you are probably a resident of Georgia. In general if you are being claimed as a dependent, then your residency is the same as the one claiming you. You were probably supposed to go get a GA license.

Here is an example: Texas Residency – UTSA One Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.