This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikesquirrels

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Almost ready to submit my AACOMAS application and wondering which schools I should apply to for the best chance:
GPA: 3.3 (science 3.0)
MCAT: 501
Tons of volunteering, healthcare experience, and good LORs
I would prefer to stay in the midwest but in terms of medical school admission, I can't be picky.
Where should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost ready to submit my AACOMAS application and wondering which schools I should apply to for the best chance:
GPA: 3.3 (science 3.0)
MCAT: 501
Tons of volunteering, healthcare experience, and good LORs
I would prefer to stay in the midwest but in terms of medical school admission, I can't be picky.
Where should I apply?

Nowhere. Get your sGPA up before you apply. Right now, you're below average in both MCAT and GPA for all DO schools.

The only school that I know of which MIGHT accept someone with your stats is BCOM.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not apply until you retake your MCAT. If you can shoot in the 510+ range you should be ok for a large chunk of schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A sgpa of 3.0 won't get you past a lot of cutoffs even with a new lower tier DO program, especially with a 501 MCAT. There are some threads on here that discuss strategy, read them.

If possible you should retake any science course a C or less and get above at least a 3,25 and an MCAT above a 504 to be at the lower end of competitive. It's better to take a year and be competitive than be a reapplicant. Did you take biochemistry?

Up to you, but a huge mistake premeds often make is thinking that somehow they will be the exception when 60% of applicants don't make it in and the exceptions are taken by those with a 3.0 gpa but a 515 MCAT.

If you insist on applying apply to every school in the book that doesn't say on their website they will automatically reject you and pray to get lucky.

Look at the MC Information Book at the averages and the AACOM site has stats on various schools.

http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying

Last edited:
LMU-DCOM, ACOM, LUCOM, LECOM-Erie. That's about it. If however you do an SMP and do well and it bring your MCAT up to a 30 equivalent then apply to any DO school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app