Which jobs pay $100K or more? This list might surprise you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha12

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

"What do some software developers, pharmacists, nurses, tow truck drivers and air conditioner technicians have in common? They’re earning $100,000 or more a year. "

An Atlanta-area tow truck driver also claimed to have made $100,000 so far this year cleaning up wrecks on the interstate, and hopes to finish the year at around $160,000.

“The trick is to do a job nobody wants to do,” notes one commentator identifying as a mining engineer.

Plenty of pharmacists said that they cross the $100,000 salary threshold, as well, but many of them discouraged readers from following in their lucrative footsteps.

“High student loan debt, dwindling pay and terrible outlook on the future job market,” warned one. Another noted that their brother-in-law is taking on $200,000 worth of debt to become a pharmacist. In fact, one former pharmacist described walking away from the job after 11 years in the field to become a licensed contractor for a real estate development company, instead. “Best decision I have ever made,” they write, noting, “I am still making six figures.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
i feel tow truck driving and air conditioner technician are great careers. I just paid an air condition guy 1000k labor to install a new ac.

Reactions: 1 user
N=1 for tow truck drivers and (s)he mentioned working crazy hours several times.

A whole bunch of people at least claiming to be HVAC techs chimed in saying that they quickly got out and don't regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A whole bunch of people at least claiming to be HVAC techs chimed in saying that they quickly got out and don't regret it.
I am sure job satisfaction is better for hvac than pharmacy.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
There are also Air Traffic Controllers or just simply be an officer in the US Military. Their base salary may be in 60-70k range but their total compensation package is comparable to someone making 100k.

There are also Air Traffic Controllers or just simply be an officer in the US Military. Their base salary may be in 60-70k range but their total compensation package is comparable to someone making 100k.
Don’t air traffic controllers have some of the highest rates of burn out of any profession? I knew one that went back to pharmacy school He said it was a horrible job.

Meh, $100k isn't exciting. I think $150k is the new 100k for flyover areas and on the coasts $200k is probably the new 100k.

Reactions: 2 users
Meh, $100k isn't exciting. I think $150k is the new 100k for flyover areas and on the coasts $200k is probably the new 100k.
Yeah. 100k jobs are a dime in a dozen. That's one of the things that makes pharmacy's decline worse.

Taco Bell, In-N-Out manager

Software engineer but you have to be good

Any trade - electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc but hard on the body

First responders - police officers, firemen, nurses, etc easily make 6 figures with 1.5x overtime

You can make 6 figures with any job if you work enough hours. Some Uber Eats driver on YouTube made 8k in a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Walmart complex store manager

Doesn't tell the whole story

"110K + 10K Signing Bonus!"
Call me a cynic but I'm hesitant to trust any salary that doesn't also include a schedule or hourly wage. BLS lists median hourly wage right around $24-25, which is more in line with what other sites reported.

Maybe four seasons pays significantly above average. Maybe BLS is out of touch. I would be more inclined to think that salary is misleading in some way.

But hey, training is relatively quick and inexpensive. If you're confident that job satisfaction is higher and the salary is pretty close to pharmacy, why not pursue it?

i feel tow truck driving and air conditioner technician are great careers. I just paid an air condition guy 1000k labor to install a new ac.

Holy smokes! You paid 1 million dollars?! 1000k is a lot!

I paid about 1k a couple years ago for some hvac work and it sucked just being that much.

• Haha
Holy smokes! You paid 1 million dollars?! 1000k is a lot!

I paid about 1k a couple years ago for some hvac work and it sucked just being that much.
LOL My bad.

Call me a cynic but I'm hesitant to trust any salary that doesn't also include a schedule or hourly wage. BLS lists median hourly wage right around $24-25, which is more in line with what other sites reported.

Maybe four seasons pays significantly above average. Maybe BLS is out of touch. I would be more inclined to think that salary is misleading in some way.

But hey, training is relatively quick and inexpensive. If you're confident that job satisfaction is higher and the salary is pretty close to pharmacy, why not pursue it?
BLS is out of touch. They said pharmacy was great for years before finally admitting that growth is bad.

Bottom line - you'll never get rich by working for someone else.

• Hmm
Bottom line - you'll never get rich by working for someone else.

You can rich from investing. There are plenty of rich pharmacists here who have 7 figures worth of Tesla, NIO, BTC, ETH, index funds, real estate etc. But most of them graduated over a decade ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You can rich from investing. There are plenty of rich pharmacists here who have 7 figures worth of Tesla, NIO, BTC, ETH, index funds, real estate etc. But most of them graduated over a decade ago.

You are right dude - I’m certainly not rich but I am about 40% through on the way to riches on my investment journey.

if you trade in crypto - have you ever heard of a crypto token called “Theta and Tfuel”? This has been my chosen crypto and it has been very rewarding. You can’t buy it on any US exchanges currently (I buy through a broker in Australia). Very early crypto worth checking out.

There are also manicurist / pedicurist. They can make 6 figure right after high school hehe

There are also manicurist / pedicurist. They can make 6 figure right after high school hehe

I know a lawyer who quit to open up a nail salon because it was more lucrative. This was back in 2000-2001 when lawyers were in demand and student loans were much lower.

• Wow
I was gonna suggest OnlyFans but that might be headed out the window now, lol

• Haha
I was gonna suggest OnlyFans but that might be headed out the window now, lol
I wonder why they are doing it. What's the point of the website then? It's not like its really used for anything else except sexually explicit content.

I wonder why they are doing it. What's the point of the website then? It's not like its really used for anything else except sexually explicit content.
I heard it’s because they are trying to attract investors. But I agree with your point, it seems like they are missing the point of their platform. Like do they think they can rebrand themselves into something totally different?

I heard it’s because they are trying to attract investors. But I agree with your point, it seems like they are missing the point of their platform. Like do they think they can rebrand themselves into something totally different?
Supposedly it's due to pressure from their banking partners. I guess they're going to try to mimick Patreon ?

Supposedly it's due to pressure from their banking partners. I guess they're going to

They would need to offer something patreon doesn't. People will just use patreon for patreon.

They would need to offer something patreon doesn't. People will just use patreon for patreon.
Agreed. Not saying that I understand the decision. Who knows though, they do have a huge user base already so maybe it'll work out.

Didn't Playboy stop explicit content a few years ago? Their stock went from 11 to 50 this year. Still up YTD at 21.

Mid 6 figures (as in 500k) from playing chess on Twitch whatever that is.

50:1 is the (current) "steady state" of women to men grandmasters

Just be attractive white female doing something very few attractive while females do, bro

This. I am in South FL, and esp. Russian-trained ladies who do machine manicure and provide other cosmetic services (permanent make up, etc)--they make bank. And they have no metrics and can take a lunch break, lol, not even mentioning tips.

This. I am in South FL, and esp. Russian-trained ladies who do machine manicure and provide other cosmetic services (permanent make up, etc)--they make bank. And they have no metrics and can take a lunch break, lol, not even mentioning tips.

What is lunch?

• Haha