Which job would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which job would you choose? I don't have any offers for these jobs. Just wondering what people would do or choose.
  1. LTC pharmacy. 8-5 shift, sometimes 10-7. No weekends. Super busy, large volume. (600-700 day). Very much like retail. Two pharmacists on duty most times. Adequate tech help. Pay about 60-62 hr.
2. General call center pharmacist. Desk job. Every 3rd saturday to be worked. Work schedule 8:30 to 5:30, or 9:30 to 6:00. Pay about 50-52 hr.

3. Specialty call center pharmacist. Desk job. Every 5th-6th saturday to be worked. Work schedule 9 to 5 usually, with 1-2 closing shifts 11-8 pm per week. Pay about 50-52 hr.

Members don't see this ad.

600-700 per day is not "super busy, large volume" for LTC. It is actually quite slow. And LTC is nothing at all "like retail". That you believe that tells me you must not have worked one or the other...

I would pick 1. The pay and schedule are the best. I have actually never heard of pay or schedule that nice in LTC so that would be quite a win in fact.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
This depends on your personality.
Long term care and specialty may be the direction of the future ...regardless of hours.
Personally, I would pursue specialty.

Hope you do get one of those offers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the most pay and slam the difference between 50 and 60 into a bank account or pay off loans..it may not last....

600-700 per day is not "super busy, large volume" for LTC. It is actually quite slow. And LTC is nothing at all "like retail". That you believe that tells me you must not have worked one or the other...

I would pick 1. The pay and schedule are the best. I have actually never heard of pay or schedule that nice in LTC so that would be quite a win in fact.

Yes - how could you even remotely compare this to retail. A closed door pharmacy is a world of difference.

• Love
Scenario 1 makes no sense. What LTC only has two Rphs working at a time? What LTC job is there where you don't have to work weekends? And you get paid retail money?? And to second what owelgrad said, we fill 1300-1800 overnight that's not even counting what 1st and 2nd shift does. Sounds like a unicorn job that doesn't exist!

Last edited:
Scenario 1 makes no sense. What LTC only has two Rphs working at a time?

Uhhh mine? Well my pharmacy has 5 RPhs daily, two in the a.m., two p.m., and one mid shift. So there are lots of periods where there are only two pharmacists working at a time. We do about 900-1000 daily. On the weekends (highly variable but usually about 600 daily) we have 3 hours a day where it is just one RPh. The horror!

LTC is just like retail except that you don't have customers throwing tantrums in your window, and, in this case, like you said, adequate tech help. In other words, it's nothing at all like retail.

I did a rotation in LTC and worked call center as a tech before pharm school, and I would take either over retail for much less pay for sure. The LTC job in this case mostly because it pays more.

Without divulging too much, this place that I currently work PT at is LTC/retail hybrid. So we are not completely closed-door, as you folks assume. We do bubble packs and cycle fills for group homes, addiction facilities, lots of meds for the mentally ill and a smattering of hospice. We also fill meds for people that want to pick them up at the pharmacy.(small percentage, but still done) If you've been in the industry, you probably know who it is and it ain't Omnicare. I do have to correct you, though. There are meltdowns at the outwindow, particularly if someone cannot get their control substance now.

Anyways, I've interviewed for all three. I don't have any offers at the moment, so we'll see.

When our minds float too far from reality the owl swoops in and grounds us back down. "this is what earth is humans" he kindly tells the children. a well appreciated act of truth giving, the most valuable thing a human can do for another human. An avian guardian or a visionary genius; the jury is still out regardless god bless you owl!

Last edited: