Which is more important MCAT or GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen folks with 2.5 and 22 MCATs get in and I was wondering if someone with a low gpa (2.7 and lower) can score higher than the average MCAT can they gain admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely at the schools who historically take larger classes. I have friends that scored below a 20 on the MCAT who got accepted to Scholl and it most likely looks like they are going to match into decent residency programs when its all said and done.
Yea I've even seen it at Western on the CIB. I wonder how many of those lower gpa students make it.

It seems like most pod students do okay in school (3.2-3.5 GPA) but their MCAT scores are rather low in comparison. So when you have a strong MCAT I think it makes a bigger impression. I had a 10 in my BS section and that landed me a bunch of interviews even though my science gpa SUCKED. I was a little too much of an instant gratification seeker in undergrad, but I learned my lesson and vowed to never let that happen again.